Aside from the obvious

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Random_Task, Sep 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies & Gents,

Aside from the usual suspects such as the Australian Armed Forces, NZ Armed Forces, the FFL, Canadian,and American Armed Forces, have any Brits served in any other foreign militaries?

By any chance were they ex British forces themselves?

Ta muchly,

RT

2. I do know of RN Matelots (from Ireland originally and grew up there) joining the Irish Naval Service.

3. J_D

J_D LE

I know some one who joined the French Foreign Legion, never did hear from him again!

4. A chap that I was at school with (a long time ago) had a stepfather from Singapore. My oppo claimed that he was Singaporean in order to avoid being extradited for possesion of cannabis. The authorities responded that if he were Singaporean he would have to do National Service & he was promptly marched off to a recruiting centre. In a bizarre twist, as he spoke neither Malay nor Mandarin they made him an officer (as commissioned ranks spoke only English). Strange but true.

5. Does foreign TA count? If so I'm British and serving in the Danish TA, and I know a good few others who have done so too.

6. Yes indeed.

That's very interesting,care to furnish us with a few more details with?

A friend of mine did his national service in Finland, and has also did a stint with the TA over here. His background check took an age.

7. It's the same here, my background check took nearly six months. At present we're two Brits in my company, but we did have three more a couple of years ago. There's somewhere around 15000 Brits in Denmark, and last I heard (three years ago) there were 40 odd in the TA.

8. Interesting stuff!

I suppose your language skills have to be pretty hot?

9. I know of some ex Para reg guys that got out went back to Southern Ireland, were snapped up by the Irish Army, quite possibly to teach how to do more than drink tea.

Lots of South Africans in the regular and TA now, also some Canadians.

Good mix of commonwealth a great thing

10. It certainly helps if you're good at the language, especially if you're hoping for promotion. The fact that you've got to have lived here for five years before you can join, means that most non-Danes who join can speak enough Danish to get by.

11. That makes sense.

I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

A section attack is certainly one way of improving one's Danish.

12. Agree totally.

Some of the best soldiers I've met have been Saffas,Kiwi's and Aussies.

Never met any Cannucks though!

13. Random_Task said: I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

I know what you mean, and I know some people join for that reason alone, e.g. an Iraqi we used to have in the company.

14. Think it's to be commended, it's hard enough trying to assimilate into a new nation/culture, the reserves is a hard but effective way of doing that, as it's a pretty diverse cross section of society.

A good way of making friends and influencing people.

If I relocate abroad in the next year or so for good,I'm going to give the local part timers a shot, red tape permitting!

15. Where are you thinking of relocating to? Are you in Germany now?