• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Aside from the obvious

Ladies & Gents,

Aside from the usual suspects such as the Australian Armed Forces, NZ Armed Forces, the FFL, Canadian,and American Armed Forces, have any Brits served in any other foreign militaries?

By any chance were they ex British forces themselves?

Ta muchly,

RT

A chap that I was at school with (a long time ago) had a stepfather from Singapore. My oppo claimed that he was Singaporean in order to avoid being extradited for possesion of cannabis. The authorities responded that if he were Singaporean he would have to do National Service & he was promptly marched off to a recruiting centre. In a bizarre twist, as he spoke neither Malay nor Mandarin they made him an officer (as commissioned ranks spoke only English). Strange but true.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Does foreign TA count? If so I'm British and serving in the Danish TA, and I know a good few others who have done so too.
Yes indeed.

That's very interesting,care to furnish us with a few more details with?

A friend of mine did his national service in Finland, and has also did a stint with the TA over here. His background check took an age.

It's the same here, my background check took nearly six months. At present we're two Brits in my company, but we did have three more a couple of years ago. There's somewhere around 15000 Brits in Denmark, and last I heard (three years ago) there were 40 odd in the TA.

Tartan_Terrier said:
It's the same here, my background check took nearly six months. At present we're two Brits in my company, but we did have three more a couple of years ago. There's somewhere around 15000 Brits in Denmark, and last I heard (three years ago) there were 40 odd in the TA.
Interesting stuff!

I suppose your language skills have to be pretty hot?

I know of some ex Para reg guys that got out went back to Southern Ireland, were snapped up by the Irish Army, quite possibly to teach how to do more than drink tea.

Lots of South Africans in the regular and TA now, also some Canadians.

Good mix of commonwealth a great thing

It certainly helps if you're good at the language, especially if you're hoping for promotion. The fact that you've got to have lived here for five years before you can join, means that most non-Danes who join can speak enough Danish to get by.

Tartan_Terrier said:
It certainly helps if you're good at the language, especially if you're hoping for promotion. The fact that you've got to have lived here for five years before you can join, means that most non-Danes who join can speak enough Danish to get by.
That makes sense.

I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

A section attack is certainly one way of improving one's Danish.

Vonshot said:
I know of some ex Para reg guys that got out went back to Southern Ireland, were snapped up by the Irish Army, quite possibly to teach how to do more than drink tea.

Lots of South Africans in the regular and TA now, also some Canadians.

Good mix of commonwealth a great thing
Agree totally.

Some of the best soldiers I've met have been Saffas,Kiwi's and Aussies.

Never met any Cannucks though!

Random_Task said: I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

I know what you mean, and I know some people join for that reason alone, e.g. an Iraqi we used to have in the company.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Random_Task said: I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

I know what you mean, and I know some people join for that reason alone, e.g. an Iraqi we used to have in the company.
Think it's to be commended, it's hard enough trying to assimilate into a new nation/culture, the reserves is a hard but effective way of doing that, as it's a pretty diverse cross section of society.

A good way of making friends and influencing people.

If I relocate abroad in the next year or so for good,I'm going to give the local part timers a shot, red tape permitting!

Random_Task said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
Random_Task said I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

Think it's to be commended, it's hard enough trying to assimilate into a new nation/culture, the reserves is a hard but effective way of doing that, as it's a pretty diverse cross section of society.

If I relocate abroad in the next year or so for good,I'm going to give the local part timers a shot, red tape permitting!
Where are you thinking of relocating to? Are you in Germany now?

Tartan_Terrier said:
Random_Task said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
Random_Task said I think it's a good way to give back to the nation you're living in (at the risk of sounding old fashioned)

Where are you thinking of relocating to? Are you in Germany now?
Possibly,not sure, I'm pretty flexible.Depends upon work.

Most European countries would be fine,although I like my space,and green spaces at that.

Any recomendations,other than Daneland? :D

Sweden, should be a good bet. The same high wages as Denmark, though less tax. The Swedish birds are easily on a par with Danish, and much nicer than the slappers I've met in Germany. There's plenty of wide open spaces (unfortunately a bit lacking here in DK), and you can get cheap flights home with Ryanair.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Sweden, should be a good bet. The same high wages as Denmark, though less tax. The Swedish birds are easily on a par with Danish, and much nicer than the slappers I've met in Germany. There's plenty of wide open spaces (unfortunately a bit lacking here in DK), and you can get cheap flights home with Ryanair.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll add that to my list of "to investigate"

So is it a rule of thumb that with some patience,determination it's possible to serve in a foreign military if you're not born there? (but living there obviously,7 hour flight would be a killer to turn out for the New York National Guard ;) )

(loosely speaking of course!)

Latest Threads