Ashford

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Hitch, Jul 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pictures from Ashford as it looks today posted in the gallery (Historical - Serious). All schedueled for demolition.

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Fascinating pictures Hitch. I'm not sure if I feel sad as Templer was always such a miserable fecking place, but I seem to recall having some good times there... once or twice anyway.

3. yeah, mostly in block 6A!

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Those are damned lies, I tell you! Though I notice that Hitch didn't photograph that bit out of the back of block 6a which appeared to be some kind of condom farm...

5. Don't forget those nights down flatties, if you could ever convince the bouncer you weren't a squaddie. Then the delights of the kebab shop, halcyon days indeed. If you do an internet search on "best kebab in kent" that shop gets numerous mentions. My eyes are welling up just thinking of more civilised days, no Z type accomodation, 2 strikes and civ div, etc, etc, etc...........

6. Ahhhhhh.....Ashford. For some odd reason, this is one subject that Eye_Spy and I have endlessly - all our conversations contain the phrase 'Do you remember so-and-so at Ashford'....mind you, CP is right - what a pit!

Does anyone know what they did with all the walls behind the mess?

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The FAWG site? No, though I'd guess it went to PATA.

8. name dropper

9. Don't miss the place at all, but then I transferred as a senior and a darksider to boot, so the exposure was very limited. Transfer, a couple of courses, a few visits, that was it. Hated the Mess annexe, those bloody portakabins, quite the worst Mess bar in NATO and some very odd people around the place - plus a few real stars as well, of course.

Ashford town itself, now. Did my interrogation course and bezzered up with a big scary shaky, who decided that every day's training should finish off with at least six pints of Guinness and a kebab. I wasn't going to argue. Ashford mornings usually hurt. I'd pray not to get a harsh first thing.

10. Quite agree, everyone knows that FAWG is called EDICTS now :wink:

I thought they moved to PSDB??

11. Brings back the memories, I thought Ashford was great. Had an almost customary all dayer nearly every Saturday in the Man of Kent whilst in trade training, followed by the bab and walk back to camp. Flatties was good, as far as I can remember had about a 50/50 success rate of getting in the place.

12. Man of Kent! Had my first ever proper bar fight in there...

13. The Swan was always the in pub in my time there. Does anyone remember that bizarre bloke who used to walk round town dressed as Zoro? What was that all about.

I remember SSgt M*** P*****d walking us round the FAWG site wilst doing Sy on my A2. He used to get quite excited about it, that and the VCP at the main gate.

Of course Ashford was a dump but it was still home. I think the best time I had there was on my A1. Blagging it in the residents bar of the Ashford International at 3 in the morning. How the hell did we get away with that. We also had a little competition to try a nd nick some sort of memoribilia from town everytime we went on the lash. I remember getting caught trying to walk out of the Irish bar with a big framed painting under my arm! Barman wasn't too impressed for some reason. Getting banned from the Naafi still remains one of my greatest achievements.

Just looked at the photos, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

14. When taking the pictures I half expected a breezeblock-like RLC Provost Sgt to lean out of the Guardroom to shout "Get a grip of your body sonny!"

I'll never forget the YO's course taking the spot of the vacated 2S1 with a battered Mini Cooper painted with UN markings.

15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Do you remember the 'wall of shame' they had in there, which had a photograph of just about everybody who had passed through Repton Manor, p1ssed out of their brains? The landlord changed in about 1990 and it disappeared, which is a shame as it represented a significant archive: it should have been donated to the Corps museum. :D