Ashdown: What I told Gordon Brown about Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Sep 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ashdown: What I told Gordon Brown about Afghanistan

DANIEL KORSKI 6:18pm
    Tonight at a fringe meeting at the Liberal Democrat conference, Paddy Ashdown gave a talk about Afghanistan. In the speech he quoted from a confidential memo he provided Gordon Brown in March when it looked like he would become the UN chief in Kabul.

We do not have enough troops, aid or international will to make Afghanistan much different from what it has been for the last 1000 years – a society in which the gun drugs and tribalism have always played a part.

In a sobering statement, the soldier-politician says:

On the military side we also need to understand that we probably cannot defeat the Taliban – only the Afghan people can do this. And at present, especially in the South, they do not seem ready to do so. Nor can we force them. They change their mind on this in their own time, not ours. The best we can do is give them the space, help where we can and hope for the best.

Read the whole speech below.
    “Afghanistan – can it still be won?”
    In December last year, when I thought it was likely that I would be going to Afghanistan, I wrote a minute to Gordon Brown and David Miliband.
    I wanted them to know what the bottom line in Afghanistan could be.

Here is what I said;

• “We do not have enough troops, aid or international will to make Afghanistan much different from what it has been for the last 1000 years – a society in which the gun drugs and tribalism have always played a part. And even if we had all of these in sufficient quantities, we would not have them for sufficient time – around 25 years or so – to make the aim of fundamentally altering the nature of Afghanistan, achievable.
    More on the link

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2083801/ashdown-what-i-told-gordon-brown-about-

2. Paddy Pantsdown - soldier, drinker and shagger...and now Plato to Brown's young Alexander!

3. And why exactly is this man not the UN envoy?

A very thorough analysis, Gordo would do well to read it.

4. Was he not given the knockback by the warlords; presumably because they feared he would do his job properly and steal their trainset?

5. Spot on.