Ashchurch

Discussion in 'RLC' started by CH512O, Feb 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd be surprised if the whole site is shutting down. 11 Regt have a Sqn HQ and Tp there so it would be expensive to relocate them and the explosive storage involved.

Besides that they've not been there 20 years.

2. Its just as well that 79 Railway Squadron are ready in South Park to handle the tank trains!!! OOP's no more regular military railwaymen or military locomotives in Germany.

I love it when a plan comes together.

3. Thread already in NAAFI you'd not have noticed as it doesn't mention Aschurch. It's titled something like 'is this the biggest cock up' cant do a link on my phone sorry.

4. As most VS are now no where near depots all there can be is rumour and speculation. This would not surprise me in the least, MOD looking at the immediate capital gain of selling the site, not the long term cost of moving vehicle to Germany and back again in a few years.

Barking mad and a waste of taxpayers money, short sighted planning as usual. I hope it doesn't happen, not for sentimental reasons but purely for common sense.

5. "The land is a prime spot for property development, and plans are already being developed by the local council." Since when did a jumped up local council plan top trump Defence? I accept this story is in a Newspaper and therefore a certain amount of cynicism needs to be deployed, but nothing would surprise me with our Politicians and mandarins if they can only see as far as the short term money to be made from selling off Ashchurch. If true, Cake and Arse doesn't come close.

6. I can't believe it! There's another forum??

7. It'd be a real shame - it had an excellent Sgts' Mess some 25 years ago ......

8. Just a ‘back of a fag packet’ calculation, which I am more than happy to be shot down:
    All MOD land is considered ‘polluted’ and under the ‘Polluter pays’ principle the MOD will have to clean the land before handover.

All vehicles stored in CHE will have to be transported to the CHE facility in Germany

The MOD will have to build another CHE facility in the UK

All the vehicles sent to Germany will have to be brought back to the UK

Any new facility will have to have roads and hard standing capable of taking heavy ‘A’s or a budget for constant road repair

Aschurch has excellent Road (a couple of 100M from the M5) and rail links any new facility will have to have the same or have these links built.

The MOD will have to relocate or pay to make redundant all the civilian manpower currently located at Ashchurch
    But on the plus side a few million will be put into the coffers now and the future is someone else’s problem and if things go really well a few of the decision makers my get an executive position on some of the companies who will benefit from the decision :)