Ash cloud to cause global cooling

#1
Any hopes of a BBQ summer will be dashed by this pesky ash cloud from Iceland. Sod's law says this summer is going to be just like the winter. Cold and sh1te. 8O
 
#3
box-of-frogs said:
Any hopes of a BBQ summer will be dashed by this pesky ash cloud from Iceland. Sod's law says this summer is going to be just like the winter. Cold and sh1te. 8O
Well at least you'll have more time to sort your laptop out. :)
 
#4
mistersoft said:
box-of-frogs said:
Any hopes of a BBQ summer will be dashed by this pesky ash cloud from Iceland. Sod's law says this summer is going to be just like the winter. Cold and sh1te. 8O
Well at least you'll have more time to sort your laptop out. :)

We're doomed I tell ye! Doomed!!

Or, as equally likely that the ash cloud will not come anywhere close to the British coastline and we can enjoy the flash floods in July with clear skies. :p
 
#5
Gym-Princess said:
mistersoft said:
box-of-frogs said:
Any hopes of a BBQ summer will be dashed by this pesky ash cloud from Iceland. Sod's law says this summer is going to be just like the winter. Cold and sh1te. 8O
Well at least you'll have more time to sort your laptop out. :)

We're doomed I tell ye! Doomed!!

Or, as equally likely that the ash cloud will not come anywhere close to the British coastline and we can enjoy the flash floods in July with clear skies. :p
Flash floods and yet there's still a hosepipe ban.
 
#6
mistersoft said:
Flash floods and yet there's still a hosepipe ban.
'Water, Water, all around..............but not a drop of fluoridated for the roses'.......... or something like that.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
You're wrong actually. The reason that ash is in the atmosphere is because it's a: hot, so rises, and b: full of nasty chemicals that will trap the sun's heat and make us all boil alive . . . . . unless you pay enviroment taxes to make it go away.
 
#8
box-of-frogs said:
Any hopes of a BBQ summer will be dashed by this pesky ash cloud from Iceland. Sod's law says this summer is going to be just like the winter. Cold and sh1te. 8O
It's the Icelandic revenge on the Brits for the way Brown used Terrorist Legislation to freeze their UK assets during the early days of the banking crisis . Nature will win !

If I remember correctly was there not an enormous volcanic explosion in the Middle Ages which resulted in several years of failed harvests and mass deaths ... stand by for the doom mongers .... after all we have come through Swine Flu , Bird Flu , Gas Shortages , collapsing World Economy etc .... but something must be found to fill 24 Hour TV News . Already started .... experts are being interviewed concerning possible respiratory problems in the UK !



Edited to add in concern about respiratory problems .
 
#9
Telegraph today (missing linky, its the man-flu I tell you) says reduced solar activity will afffect the Jet Stream and we are to have several years of arctic winters, last time this happened was 1680 to 1700 and the Thames froze.
Global warming ?
 
#10
Up here in the North West the sun has just disappeared behind a massive cloud (possibly of volcanic gas composition) and it feels warmer. We are doomed I tell you . . . . . . . Oh the sun has come out again. Carry on, no duff threat of possible extinction of life on Earth appears to be duff. Is it a quiet news day?
 
#11
Somewhat unsurprisingly it hasn't effected Hong Kong, it's just unseasonably bloody cold at the moment - 11C, which is more or less unheard of in mid-April.

Anyway, never fear - Gordon will save you - again.
 
#12
Bloody Ashie again!

Is there anything he can't screw up?
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#13
Well I've been looking out at the window and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

It's obvious what is happening - either:

a) there's 15 hijacked 'planes up there, and the airspace is being cleared to give our ADUK (do we have any AD of the UK?) a better target, or

b) It's an alien invasion plot, or

c) it's a plot by RyqnAir to allowthem to start charging for oxygen use, or

d) all three of the above...

I'll be down in the cellar with the tin(foil) hat on. And a tip; if any bright meteors sudenly appear in the sky, do not stare at them....
 
#14
Geek mode on...

It will indeed cause "global cooling", and the temperature will decrease slightly. I've not looked into it in much detail, but it appears to cover a fairly large area. It's possible global average temperatures could fall by 1-2 degrees over the year.

Simply because ash particulates have a high albido, meaning they reflect the suns rays. One answer to global warming is actually to replicate volcanic ash and place it in the stratosphere. Maybe thats what Iceland has done (or more likely the USA)!

Geek mode off.
 
#15
The Gobment can use the resulting panic to introduce a new ASH tax. This can then be used after the event to stealthily increase tax on smokers and coal fires and wood burners and Agas etc etc etc, in fact anything that causes ash or looks like ash(ish).................dandruff and other flakey skin diseases.

I need to get out more!
 
#16
Its all a load of health and safety brigade going OTT rubbish.

Plinty the Elder, the greatest writer in antiquity witnessed Vesuvius going up and he nor any of the Roman writers/chroniclers mentioned that the Romans cancelled any flights during or after the eruption.

We have gone soft these days.
 
#17
Scavenger said:
Geek mode on...

It will indeed cause "global cooling", and the temperature will decrease slightly. I've not looked into it in much detail, but it appears to cover a fairly large area. It's possible global average temperatures could fall by 1-2 degrees over the year.

Simply because ash particulates have a high albido, meaning they reflect the suns rays. One answer to global warming is actually to replicate volcanic ash and place it in the stratosphere. Maybe thats whay Iceland has done (or more likely the USA)!

Geek mode off.
So what if the thing keeps on spewing the ash for say the next 8 - 10 weeks?

Still think it might only be 1/2 degrees or will we be BBQ oxen in the middle of the Thames for Xmas?
 
#18
Steven said:
Scavenger said:
Geek mode on...

It will indeed cause "global cooling", and the temperature will decrease slightly. I've not looked into it in much detail, but it appears to cover a fairly large area. It's possible global average temperatures could fall by 1-2 degrees over the year.

Simply because ash particulates have a high albido, meaning they reflect the suns rays. One answer to global warming is actually to replicate volcanic ash and place it in the stratosphere. Maybe thats whay Iceland has done (or more likely the USA)!

Geek mode off.
So what if the thing keeps on spewing the ash for say the next 8 - 10 weeks?

Still think it might only be 1/2 degrees or will we be BBQ oxen in the middle of the Thames for Xmas?
This really is still a teeny tiny eruption in comparison to events like Pinatubo which DID drop the global temperature by half a degree or so. Now...... if the current eruption's neighour Katla or even Laki go up big time, then we can talk about global effects :)
 
#19
Scavenger said:
Geek mode on...

It will indeed cause "global cooling", and the temperature will decrease slightly. I've not looked into it in much detail, but it appears to cover a fairly large area. It's possible global average temperatures could fall by 1-2 degrees over the year.

Simply because ash particulates have a high albido, meaning they reflect the suns rays. One answer to global warming is actually to replicate volcanic ash and place it in the stratosphere. Maybe thats whay Iceland has done (or more likely the USA)!

Geek mode off.
The albedo of ash isn't what causes the predominant change in temperature following large volcanic eruptions. They are highly reflective at certain wavelengths, absorbing at others, but also heavy, and sediment out of the atmosphere within days/weeks of emission, if they're not rained out sooner. They are however absorbing in the IR, so will act to slighty warm that particular region of the atmosphere in the long wave, along with gases like SO2 and water vapour.

If the eruption were continuous (and effusive), such as Katla or Laki, it could have a regional or even hemispheric cooling affect, because the ash rained out would be replenished, and the vapour pressure of sulphate would increase the atmospheric aerosol loading. In the troposphere all that depends highly on the meteorology - this thing's been blowing off since Tuesday but only became a problem when the wind changed.
 
#20
Still lovely and sunny down here =)
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top