Ascension Island going down the swanny?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by exile1, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Article from todays Times ...... From The Times October 21, 2009

about the RAF in contretemps with the F&CO over not paying taxes.

[can some computer nerd do a linky thing please?]
  2. Is this a case of the UK government deciding that the RAF have to pay tax, as a means of using MoD budget, rather than it coming out of the DFiD budget? (A stealth defence cut?)
  3. The MoD could pay the Tax, and then demand payment from the BBC and other users of the Ascension Island.

ie BBC. Seems reasonable.
  4. IIRC, the "users" [the organisations running the island prior to 2002 changes] [BBC, SACC, C&W, Euro Space Agency, et al.,] used to run the island. The changes meant that people on the island started paying tax in a bid to lessen the UK's tax burden on running the island infrastructure. Indications were made that taxation represented a say in how the Island was run. As usual the people living there were shafted by sharp government practices and hold no real power, especially when the Americans for perceived security concerns want restricted access to Ascension. [Very little chance of tourist revenue.] The council that run the infrastucture there are between a rock and a hard place. Two UK government departments bickering over who's going to pay dosh from what is effectively the same pot [The UK taxpayer's pocket] is not helping the situation. Someone needs to get a grip!
    This is my own personal view of how things stand.
  5. I've always thought it would have been a good space launch site, being so near to the Equator and with no other land nearby.
  6. Simple lets add it to the Govt garage sale and flog it to the Americans, and then lease back accomodation at vast cost. That's what we normally do isn't it?

(IIRC it's also an emergency landing site for the Shuttle...?)
  7. Pity there isnt a market for black dust they could make a fortune.
  8. no thats Thumrait in Oman :wink:
  9. Yeah, I reckon so. So then the BBC decide to scrap their shortwave broadcasts from Ascension (or whatever they do). Then the Spanish American service goes.

During the Falklands war the Argentinians listened to the BBC World Service to find out what was happening.

They scrapped the Arabic TV service some time ago because the Saudis didn't like the unofficial version of the news being broadcast. The Qataris employed the newly redundant staff in a new broadcasting venture. It's called Al Jazeera, maybe you've heard of it.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I love Ascension - if the pound keeps falling I might be able to afford to buy it. :wink:

The current "users" are not familiar with tax returns though.
  11. We could always use it as a place to put our undesirables like we did a couple of hundred years ago with Australia. No indigenous peoples, nice and secure, implement a work or die policy and jobs done!
  12. For some reason the FCO picks up the tab for the World Service....perhaps its a fundamental part of their information / influence campaign.