Ascencion Island is a lot bigger than it looks

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
No it isn't... did anyone ever experience the bar at the top of the hill climb to be actually 'open' when they got there?!!!

Alsacien

LE
It was much easier when we had a navy bigger than the next 3 combined - the sea was ours, no questions.

Now sadly the Royal Navy could just about cope with defending the Isle of Wight....... :cry:

Alsacien said:
It was much easier when we had a navy bigger than the next 3 combined - the sea was ours, no questions.

Now sadly the Royal Navy could just about cope with defending the Isle of Wight....... :cry:
But not with an onshore wind...

Gundulph said:
No it isn't... did anyone ever experience the bar at the top of the hill climb to be actually 'open' when they got there?!!!
:D
Yep every night

hav ethey built a bar at the top of the hill? [Green Mountain]???? The highest point where one could get a bevvy was the red lion up by the farm.

Nah no bar on green Mountain, just up the slight incline past the cookhouse

Oh and you have to wave to all the locals - had a Bllocking once from the base commander for not waving :)

what possible reason would there be to defend the isle of wright?
there is a stab platoon on the island aka the cousins :twisted: some of them even have the right number of fingers and toes :evil:

BANDSMAN69 said:
For what it is worth 'me mams' from St Helena. I know it doesn't relate to the thread thought I'd mention it though.........
I was one of the first kids that Miss Edith Timm ever taught. Ask your mam. She'll know her.

That doesn't relate to the thread either.

BANDSMAN69 said:
accidentalscaley LOL I love 'me mam' sister/brother/auntie/grandmother' so there...
How often?

Gundulph said:
:x

On my first visit to Ascension (1985 - civvy job), I'd heard about the Red Lion and decided to make it a stopping point on a ramble where I would also pick up a few cans of soft drinks to take with me on the remainder of the walk.

In hindsight, when I found the place deserted, I should have turned back, having no drinks with me. By the time I'd visited Boatswain Bird Island, English Bay and Comfortless Cove and not found an ice-cream van at any of them, I was delirious and glad to stumble into Georgetown, where I thought I'd be able to get a drink. Alas, everywhere was shut!

I continued on towards Travellers Hill via the coast road and was surprised and delighted to find that there was a function on at the US Base (4th July celebration) - this was why Georgetown was deserted. At last - a chance to get a drink.

Alas, only Budweiser was on offer. Being severely dehydrated, it didn't go down too well. I haven't touched the stuff since.

enterprise said:
it was hotter than i thought as well..
ex5skin said:
am off there in november, any tips?
I was there in 1985 (June - November) and experienced 30 degree temperatures (night and day) and a constant 30mph wind. During that time, it rained twice. Once it was drizzle for an afternoon, the other time it was a torrential downpour that lasted only 30 minutes, but took out most of the roads.

I went back a couple of years ago in October and it rained every day for a fortnight, with temperatures varying between 14 degrees and 30 degrees.

So the tip is, prepare for hot and sunny, but don't forget your waterproofs and a warm pullover.