ASB RAMC for Medical Cadetship

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Chavasse1917, Mar 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings,

I am a medical student applying for a Cadetship with the Army. My interview (ASB) is next month and I am quite excited about it but also s***ing myself.

I have been doing as much research as I can about the army and speaking with as many people as possible.

Does anyone have any advice for the interview? I would be really grateful for any help at all.

Also, what has been the affect of modernising medical careers on the cadetship. Does the six year return of service coomence after Foundation year 1 or 2? What will happen to the 6 month A and E posting at the MDHU's?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you
  2. I completed my interview last year and passed. My advice would be to consider your answers before speaking and to prepare answers for the common quesitons e.g. what are the qualities of an officer? what do you think of British soldiers? what do you have to offer the RAMC? etc etc.

My six year return of service starts after full GMC registration which occurs after FP1. This may have changed for applicants this year, best thing to do is to ask RAMC recruiting. The Col will be more than happy to answer.

As to the A and E placement, if you chose to stay in your denary (sp sorry dyslexic) then you must have an A and E job in FP1 or FP2. My adivice is to try and get one in FP2 as you will be able to do more.

Lastly good luck and I hope to see you at the next Cadets briefing day which is a good piss up.
  3. PS - I would really like to hear from soldiers in the army and what they think of the RAMC officers (be honest). I have a few friends who were/are combat medical technicians and it has been really valuable to get their advice on how to be a good officer.

Also, I have put Chavasse1917 as my username because I am currently reading about his life and not because I want to win 2 VC's and die. He is famous in my great city, Liverpool, were he spent a number of years.

Thanks again.
  4. Thanks a lot Jon,

Hopefully I'll see you and Colonel W. in Camberely soon.
  5. Interview is pretty standard. Usually 4 peaple including the Director General and some other high brass. lasts about 20-30 mins. They ask you about why you want to be an army doctor, what are your hobbies, a bit of current affairs. One bloke asked me if as a doctor if I would be happy to carry a gun and use it?!!!
    Read up on what you can and cannot do in the AMS e.g what the career path is. All this is on the MOD website. They basicly just want to know if you know what you are letting yourself in for - so find out. Previous TA / OTC expereince is a definite advantage. Good luck, PM me if you have any questions.

p.s. To answer your questions we now have to do 2 years foundation, same as everyone else and this can be in a MDHU if you want although there are limited places to get your name in early i.e. as soon as you are commissioned. We still do A+E but this looks like it will be for 4 months now in F2. I think you start return of service after F2 but check this.
  6. Thanks FFD1.

With regard to myself, I am just finishing an intercalated degree. I only have one year left of medicine to finish and so will only get the Cadetship for one year. That is not a problem as the money is not my motivation. Do any of you know how soon you are commisioned after the interview?

It is just that I am really hoping to organise ASAP some attachments overseas in the summer, such as Brunei or Belize etc.

Also, I am torn between surgery or general practice as a career. One RAMC captain I met said that the board would favour me more if I said general practice. Do you consider this to be the case? Would surgeons, in the future because of MMC, be restricted and not be allowed to be an RMO as was the case previously?

Cheers folks,
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I thought they asked when could you start and deploy to Iraq.
  8. Chavasse Wrote:

Valuable MMMMmmmmmmmmm !

Now there's a debate in itself !!!!!
  9. for whomever asked the commision is back dated to august the 1st, or at least it was a couple of years ago. The most important thing with the interview is to know why you're doing this, oh and have a little bit of knowledge aout the army, reg., career path just to show you're not a lazy muppet! current affairs always comes up so get reading those broadsheets! good luck!
  10. Mate I wouldn't worry about it - your a doctor and the Army is drasticly short of them. You'll be fine.
  11. Hi, I've also got my board coming up (July). I was wondering, how do they make it spread over 3 days? What else happens other than the actual interview? Also, if people failed, what was it on?
    Thanks in advance :D
  12. my advice make sure you are 100% sure before making the decision
  13. I know I'm 100% sure, I've been focussed on getting it since I was 14 (I'm now 22). I've been with 3 different TA Units (Fd Hosp, Infantry and now Yeomanry), and spoken to anyone I can grab hold of, and want to join more than ever. Prob now is the Docs at work can't remember their board, and I want to make sure I've not missed something I should have covered in my preparation. I'm reading up on Iraq/Afghanistan, and other army things. One thing that is worrying me is that although I was pretty sporty at uni (played for the women's 1st XV and did karate), I've been unable to get involved with much during the intercalated year that I'm doing, so that could look pretty crap.

As such, would really appreciate any advice, particularly on the issues mentioned in my previous post.
  14. I sat my board nearly 2 years ago. It was only an interview, in the morning for me, so I travelled down the night before and stayed in the Mess.
    There were four people, one asked about Army issues (amalgamation of the Regiments was in the news at the time etc), one about the course ie Medicine - would I pass etc, one from MCM to confirm I understood that Paediatric Neurology was probably a no-no and another to talk about me (which was nice), why the Army not the other Services etc.
    I wouldn't worry about the sporty issues, I do bugger all at uni (some outside of, though) and they didn't take too long to decide. You can try too hard sometimes...

Good luck. Excellent time to join, what with all the NHS tinkering!