AS90 v MLRS v Light gun

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by GunnersQuadrant, Feb 11, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Which piece of artillery would you like to see most upon possible conflict in the middle east.??
  2. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Surely the question we should really be examining is this: doctrine is shifting from the notion that deep operations shape the battlefield for the decisive engagement at close quarters to one where the decisive engagement itself happens at a distance. What, if any, are the implications of this shift in doctrine for the balance of investment in future artillery systems?

Or more succintly put: MLRS or AS90 or L118?

I'm afraid the Duncan Essay got there first!
  3. for sheer good TV coverage it has to be MLRS
  4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Surely C_C it should be L118 or L119?
  5. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

A moot point I feel since the answer is clearly MLRS...

6. its@ got to be mlrs and as90 pull out a light gun the bad guys will only laugh.
  7. Shame for all the rocketeers that you are not going, would rather have you boys out there than the half arsed attempt at AD cover that we are going to get.  I doubt that the Yanks will eveb let tham turn the things on in the first place.  Stil its nice to get them out I imagine we can use them to hump ammo or wash pans.  You never know they might come in useful  ;D
  8. a more precise fall of shot is more favourable than a grid square being wiped out.

This time there is going to be more built up areas and not just open desert.

the grunt`s will apreciate a closer fire support in those areas.Think this time they are going to do a little more of there bread and butter.......

But if it`s an open target then there aint nothing like a sh*t load of bomblet raining down ! thing is once the rockets are falling there aint nothing you can do to switch fire, as for the guns they can change more easaly and be more precise.
  9. well for first into action it has to be lt gun i think gw1 was the only op it was not deployed all it needs is a better power management system and a more felxible computation device in the cp then all we would need is the new lightweight mlrs and we could say goodbye track days hello modern arty
  10. "God has a hard-on for MLRS because we kill everything we see"

Out of sheer interest I had a good mooch around most of the targets "engaged" by MLRS (ours) during Gulf 1 and found the results on the ground pretty poor. Dug in Defensive positions were barely scratched and I can only assume the enemy infantry (if there were any) were pretty safe other that soiled underpants. Damage to AA and other Arty was minimal and most of the guns could be manned as they were.

Targets in the open...
    Found/drove through/fell over, many areas of empty sand and enemy witdrawl routes littered with MLRS strike debris, and nothing else.
    Looked like moving tagets had been engaged (convoys?), and by the time rounds had arrived, the tanks/convoys had moved on.

Read with great interest all the hype after the war on this new weapon system, and wondered where all these claims of mass destruction came from as I had visited most of the targets engaged.

Speaking as an infantryman, not too bothered what Arty system is used to batter anything that I am about to assault, but troops dug in, give me the light gun any day or anything else that bungs a shell.
  11. More to the point can you tell us where you will be firing from - just in case you decide to leave it to the REs again?!! :p
  12. Gun bunnies are solid, launcher bunnies are slightly brighter, but the MLRS wins wars end of story ......... :lol:
  13. And you fired how many in Iraq?
  14. I saw FOS from both Light gun and AS90 in the gulf and the most damage was caused by AS90 firing bomblet, very effective on troops in the open!! although from initial CFF the Rds on the ground were much quicker from light gun.