AS90 v MLRS v Light gun

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Surely the question we should really be examining is this: doctrine is shifting from the notion that deep operations shape the battlefield for the decisive engagement at close quarters to one where the decisive engagement itself happens at a distance. What, if any, are the implications of this shift in doctrine for the balance of investment in future artillery systems?

Or more succintly put: MLRS or AS90 or L118?

I'm afraid the Duncan Essay got there first!

Shame for all the rocketeers that you are not going, would rather have you boys out there than the half arsed attempt at AD cover that we are going to get.  I doubt that the Yanks will eveb let tham turn the things on in the first place.  Stil its nice to get them out I imagine we can use them to hump ammo or wash pans.  You never know they might come in useful  ;D

a more precise fall of shot is more favourable than a grid square being wiped out.

This time there is going to be more built up areas and not just open desert.

the grunt`s will apreciate a closer fire support in those areas.Think this time they are going to do a little more of there bread and butter.......

But if it`s an open target then there aint nothing like a sh*t load of bomblet raining down ! thing is once the rockets are falling there aint nothing you can do to switch fire, as for the guns they can change more easaly and be more precise.

well for first into action it has to be lt gun i think gw1 was the only op it was not deployed all it needs is a better power management system and a more felxible computation device in the cp then all we would need is the new lightweight mlrs and we could say goodbye track days hello modern arty

"God has a hard-on for MLRS because we kill everything we see"

Crap!

Out of sheer interest I had a good mooch around most of the targets "engaged" by MLRS (ours) during Gulf 1 and found the results on the ground pretty poor. Dug in Defensive positions were barely scratched and I can only assume the enemy infantry (if there were any) were pretty safe other that soiled underpants. Damage to AA and other Arty was minimal and most of the guns could be manned as they were.

Targets in the open...
Found/drove through/fell over, many areas of empty sand and enemy witdrawl routes littered with MLRS strike debris, and nothing else.
Looked like moving tagets had been engaged (convoys?), and by the time rounds had arrived, the tanks/convoys had moved on.

Read with great interest all the hype after the war on this new weapon system, and wondered where all these claims of mass destruction came from as I had visited most of the targets engaged.

Speaking as an infantryman, not too bothered what Arty system is used to batter anything that I am about to assault, but troops dug in, give me the light gun any day or anything else that bungs a shell.

I saw FOS from both Light gun and AS90 in the gulf and the most damage was caused by AS90 firing bomblet, very effective on troops in the open!! although from initial CFF the Rds on the ground were much quicker from light gun.

The light gun is a cracking (but aged) piece of kit but 105mm cannot deliver the desired firepower - why else are we (and the USMC) looking for a 155mm replacement?

As for MRLS, the Yanks did fire it very effectively during TELIC (although well north of us) but would you want it on the objective supporting a BG attack?

Just how can you beat three rounds in under ten secs from an AS90? I know what I would rather have supporting me....

Aye MLRS although your point is taken ref BG attack but i believe that is why it is called GS and not CS like AS90/L118 lets not lose sight of that fact.

2clicksleft said:
"God has a hard-on for MLRS because we kill everything we see"

Crap!

Out of sheer interest I had a good mooch around most of the targets "engaged" by MLRS (ours) during Gulf 1 and found the results on the ground pretty poor. Dug in Defensive positions were barely scratched and I can only assume the enemy infantry (if there were any) were pretty safe other that soiled underpants. Damage to AA and other Arty was minimal and most of the guns could be manned as they were.

Targets in the open...
Found/drove through/fell over, many areas of empty sand and enemy witdrawl routes littered with MLRS strike debris, and nothing else.
Looked like moving tagets had been engaged (convoys?), and by the time rounds had arrived, the tanks/convoys had moved on.

Read with great interest all the hype after the war on this new weapon system, and wondered where all these claims of mass destruction came from as I had visited most of the targets engaged.

Speaking as an infantryman, not too bothered what Arty system is used to batter anything that I am about to assault, but troops dug in, give me the light gun any day or anything else that bungs a shell.
That is the role of the guns to dig out the infantry correct but to abuse an arty system being a grunt, get out of my board. Bwahhhhh

GQ,

I entirely agree with your sentiment, we do need to fight a deep and close (perhaps even rear) battle, however the AS90 is the only one that can arguably do all three.

The question that should be mooted, especially in this age of reducing budgets, is whether we can afford to have all three. :?:

Where do we see the Gunners going?

Are we going to leave deep target attack to the light blue and bin MRLS/LIMAWS(R) as it is too expensive or irrelevant?

What has happened to the AS90 ERO? Everything has gone very quiet - is it is too expensive or not needed?

What are we going to do with AS90 once the majority of the Army goes over to rapid effect? Even with an improved light gun do rapid effect forces want a 105mm round with minimal range?

In fact why not make it a subject for a Duncan Essay! :twisted: :twisted:

drop short what helecopter can you carry an as90 in/under?
MLRS has proven its worth and all 3 are needed. btw will the RA cope with 1 less AS90 regt when the new light brigade forms as it will either have Light gun or Light gun replacement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
curryhead Gunners 5
Morty Gunners 7
Bad CO Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4