AS90 or PzH 2000?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Ignorant_Layman, Apr 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Total artillery neophyte; was trying to scope out the relative worth of the British AS90 and its German counterpart when I came across this post on theworldofpolitics.com:

Fairly damning; is Germany's equipment really that much better than ours? (Post is from 2002.)

2. What a shit review, based on looks and assumptions.

FFS referring to the Shell as a grenade - how can anybody take the reviewer seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I suspect it's either a translation or a quote from one mate.

The item on a Future Weapons Show was good. It's ability to land multiple rounds on target was only really possible or indeed maintainable with the autoloader. The Huns outlook was these things could replace conventional types in fewer numbers because of the weapon capability. Of course, IANAE.

4. Panzer 2000 allthough very fast with its autmative loading does have a lot of problems due to various climates with its circuit boards which are putting this Gun out of action

5. How fast is the auto loader?

IIRC the RA are required to achieve 3 rounds in 10 secs.

6. According to Wiki 3 rounds in 9 sec and 10 in 56. 2 man replen in 12 mins(60 rounds)

7. Wikipedia
    It is particularly notable for a very high rate of fire; in burst mode it can fire three rounds in 9 seconds, ten rounds in 56 seconds, and can fire between 10 and 13 rounds per minute continuously, depending on barrel heating

8. He's comparing an in-service weapon, with a discontinued one! Unless I am mistaken, the 'Braveheart' variant had ammo problems or something.....Still a shit revue!

9. The gun is only the last link in the chain.
    Target recon, information handling, logistics, calculate firing solution, etc etc...from my pov view, letting the rounds fly is the easy part. Whos arty is better? The brit guns have certainly fired more rounds in anger, then ours.

PzH 2000 has been used in AFG for some time now(German and Netherlands units) and fares well under the climate conditions there. They've become a valuable asset there. From what I've heared the dutch even used it in direct fire mode to discourage some INS from attacking their base.

10. Can't go wrong with an FH-70.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

If one is about to purchase a car, hand tools, washing machines and dishwashers, firearms of any type or armoured fighting vehicles it is always best to buy the one that comes with it's instruction manual in German.

12. "Letting the rounds fly is the easy part", what a crock of shit.

I ll agree with you on the Recce/Survey, OP and CP side of things, thats called preparation, if thats ****, so are the rounds on the ground, however, you could have the best prep, and the worst gun and still effectively get rounds down on adjustment, but the worst prep and the best gun, and with bad adjustment be dropping-short/off-bearing/over-shot.

Dont blame the boys with the tools, its normally the boys with the instruments!

13. [Wah shield] You are seriously deluded!![/Wah shield]

Remind me again why the German tanks couldn't function against the Russians in their winters in WWII? Would it be something along the lines of over-engineering?

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Feel free to rock up to the next war with military equivalent of a Lada - I would suggest you take a look at Russian military victories since 1945 and get back to us on your choices.

I won't even go into washing machines, dish washers, irons or tumble driers.

15. No, you're right...The German war machine wasn't beaten by over-engineering and the T34 etc. were just cheap crap that didn't do very well at all!...As for the rest, are you aware that that all those goods you mention, are merely ASSEMBLED in Germany and not actually made here?