AS90 goes bang!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bad CO, Aug 31, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

2. Nice !!, one of our MLRS ended up looking up like that when we went firing once in Kudcubright. Not meaning to sound thick but how did that actually happen??, glad to see the red tops were on standby, i enjoyed being one of them !! ;D

3. I dont' know how much you know about what goes on inside an AS 90 during firing but here goes...

Gun fires, breech opens, No4 presses button and auto-load chucks round into breech. Somehow, I'm not sure how, something burning comes out of breech and lands on bagged charge held by no2. No2 has "OH ****!" warning light come on, drops bagged charge and leaves by nearest exit, passing No4 on way. No4 now leaves closely followed by No1 and No3. I don't know if the driver was present, but it's safe to say that he didn't hang around either!

The Gun was fully bombed up at the time and the charge bins on AS90 are neither armoured nor fitted with a fire suppression system. Consequently a small flagration turned into a very big bang. No gun bunnies were hurt in the making of this large write-off to the taxpayer!

4. What a great saving this must have been, not putting armour around the charge bins. Until, er, you deduct the cost of one AS90 from the saving....

saw a video of a US Paladin 155 gun doing pretty much the same thing in GW2, looked like a misfire of some kind; bang, flames, Olympic record sprints from the crew.

Luckily nobody hurt, but richly comic....

5. One of my Gun Fitter comrades tells me of an M109 in his battery in in GW1 thatalso brewed up - literally!!! Bunnies were doing a bit of cooking i the back of the gun between fire missions and WOOF!, the whole gun brewed up. I believe 2 Regt RA were the culprits in that incident.