It's a good price for sure, a new company to me, so no idea of the quality, a lot going on there for sure. I would recommend oils for the horses.
They're actually Masterbox figures which on looking around they seem to be a good entry level figure, not perfect castings by any means, but value for money and to start/practice on
I've been painting up some more of the 10mm WW1 British and for those who haven't seen the wash technique I thought I'd post some pics...
The first batch have been finished and stuck on bases waiting for the groundwork and grass etc...
As the models are pretty small I always stick them onto coffee stirrers for ease of handling while painting. The grey colour is from a spray can of grey primer. I find a black undercoat is too harsh and dulls the colours but a mid grey is ideal for me.
Next are the base colours - faded khaki for the uniform, brown for the rifle, flesh for faces and hands, black boots and the larger items of webbing get a bit of light khaki. No detail painted in as yet, just getting the model filled in with the basics.
Next step is the wash. This is dark brown. I use a commercial wash, but I have found that a watered down, water based dark brown garden fence paint (B&Q Drak Oak Stain) also works well and is a lot cheaper if you are painting lots of scenery etc
The first pics show the wash while it is still wet.
All very blobby and covered in brown goo...Set aside to dry...
An hour later the wash has dried, the water base has evaporated leaving the pigment in the dips and hollows on the models.You can now see the shadows on the figures and the creases and lines showing the webbing etc...
Once the wash is completely dry the next step is to highlight the basic uniform colour. Using the base colour of faded khaki and a fine brush pick out the raised parts of the figure and just add a touch of paint on the raised parts, without covering the shadows and creases.
Next step is to add the details. Using a light khaki paint in the straps and highlight the pouches etc. The metal parts on the rifles (muzzle and breech) are added using a dark grey. I also orginally added a highight to the hands and faces with a light flesh tone but on reflection it made the faces a bit to pale and bright. After all, the chaps would have been out in all weathers and probably tanned after the hot weather in august 1914. I therefore left the faces and hands without highlights and added a thin wash over the ones I'd already highlighted to tone them down. On some of the early figures I used black for the hair at the back of the head, but this was a bit too dark. I mixed some leather brown with a touch of black and thinned it with a brown acrylic ink and used this mix to run around the heads below the cap. It blends in nicely, darkening the hairline without being obvious. The final touch was to use a bright gold for the cap badges (which can just about be seen on the caps.
Officers - these had more leeway in their uniform and kit. I painted a couple of them in light khaki breeches, and two with brown leather legging rather than puttees. Lots of pics show officers wearing brown leather gloves so the hands were coloured with dark leather paint, the same colour being used for the leather sam browne belts and holster etc.
Once the figures were finished I used a dirt colour (similar to the faded khaki) to colour the bases. The models are now ready for basing for the tabletop.
The models may look a bit "blobby" in the photos, however please bear in mind that the figures themselves are only about 12mm tall (incluidng the base they stand on). Also they are gaming toys designed to be viewed on a tabletop from a distance of 3-4 feet rather than viewed close up like most display models. When based up, and seen seen en masse on the tabletop they will look very effective.