Figures As requested, an idiots guide by an idiot for figures

While I really appreciate that mate I would rather you gave them to these blokes
Home
I'm not sure if that is what @Simmerit lot turned into if they aren't maybe he can give an assist.
I have a grey army the size of 3rd shock and they would be better off there but thank you again
Consider it done with pleasure, found their address in Newbury. I see they're supported by ARRSE and they've a fair few sponsors.

@Helm. Loving that figure bud. And on that note; it is my interest in my new found hobby that has mostly kept me away from arrse lately.
As you know gents, it is my inexperience of modelling - particularly when it comes to blending colours that I thought that I had struck upon an original idea. An idea that I convinced myself that none of the millions of modellers over the years had ever thought about before. Genuinely, I believed that I had struck upon a unique method of figure painting.
The bright idea that I "thought up" was to paint figures as I saw them in a black and white photo ie a mixture of greys and blacks. The idea being so that the figures would look like a black and white photo.
I know... I know... It's already been bloody well done. I couldn't believe just how many examples there already are out there on YouTube.
Oh well... Never mind, it was a good idea whilst it lasted I suppose!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Helm. Loving that figure bud. And on that note; it is my interest in my new found hobby that has mostly kept me away from arrse lately.
As you know gents, it is my inexperience of modelling - particularly when it comes to blending colours that I thought that I had struck upon an original idea. An idea that I convinced myself that none of the millions of modellers over the years had ever thought about before. Genuinely, I believed that I had struck upon a unique method of figure painting.
The bright idea that I "thought up" was to paint figures as I saw them in a black and white photo ie a mixture of greys and blacks. The idea being so that the figures would look like a black and white photo.
I know... I know... It's already been bloody well done. I couldn't believe just how many examples there already are out there on YouTube.
Oh well... Never mind, it was a good idea whilst it lasted I suppose!
There's even a paint set for it ;)

and thank you mate.

While I really appreciate that mate I would rather you gave them to these blokes
Home
I'm not sure if that is what @Simmerit lot turned into if they aren't maybe he can give an assist.
I have a grey army the size of 3rd shock and they would be better off there but thank you again
Not me. A few of us on ARRSE kicked it all off and some random bloke picked it up and stole the glory!!

Not that that matters - its the end result that counts, which is helping lads and girls that need it, so best of luck to the lad. Not that I'm bitter or anything - the utter idea thieving glory seeking cnut:)

only kidding!!

edited to add:

Not that I'm bitter or anything. The thieving b@stard.

Just saying,

cnut.

utter cnut.

The b@stard.

I hate glory seekers and idea theft.

the cnut.

just saying

the cnut

Cheers @Helm. The missus was looking in and pointed at me.. you ! she says. I'll probably find out what (else) I've done, later.

Wait till I start cluttering the kitchen table with models and paints and stuff. She has no idea. Liking the idea from @ches - I've a good supply of timber so maybe the tin of Super Yacht Varnish I've been keeping in the shed will come in handy.

I also think another couple of busts will be coming to @Helm within a couple of weeks, for your own use. Thanks for your efforts much appreciated.
Another use for varnish, if you ever consider doing a boat, is to layer it up, as a seascape. Adding an appropriate colour paint to lower layers adds an impression of depth to the diorama.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
As this is an SBS with a view to the newcomer to the hobby/figures. Here's a shot of the head with pin and locating hole in the body. With figures it is really vital you pin any joints and not rely on glue alone. The easiest way to align them I have found is to drill one part then, apply blue tack to the part where it will go. Moisten this with a bit of water, or if you're common like me spit. Press the two together and you'll be left with a nipple. . . Fnaaar, fnaaar, this can then be drilled out and should perfectly align.
IMG_20190409_165820[1].jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Onto the home straight now with very little left to do aside from final touches on the highlighting/shading etc. the goggles may well prove to be a challenge, I've never painted them or anything like them before, but we will see!
The jacket was treated with a similar wash process to the helmet to give the worn leather look. I had an idea to try something else but it needed a more creased surface than this jacket. It was to use "crackle" paint to give the impression of very worn, battered leather.
IMG_20190409_171304[1].jpg IMG_20190409_171253[1].jpg
Finally, a preview of how it will look mounted up. The base is one of the blocks @ches mentioned earlier. Sprayed black it looks pretty effective. The figure is mounted on a cut off wood screw with a brass tube over it to tidy it up
IMG_20190409_170059[1].jpg

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
All done now except for minor detailing and the goggles, those have been given a coat of paint slightly darker than the helmet then it will be layered with gloss varnish and I may paint catchlights on them to make them more "glass" like the first layer of gloss is on.
I finally decided on changing the head position slightly as to allow the face to show slightly better in a cabinet

Any questions, comments, shrieks of laughter, etc fire away. The two straps you can see will be painted up to go on the helmet, but @Jack_Prior will have the loverly task of attaching them as I think they might not survive the journey if I do it and it's easier to do it than to repair.
IMG_20190410_102424[1].jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Some work in progress - the first of my 10mm First World War British Expeditionary Force.

The figures have been painted with the base colours and a dark brown wash applied.
bef1.jpg

18 pdr Field Gun and crew...
bef2.jpg

These chaps are finished and waiting to be based for the tabletop. They will represent the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays), part of the 1st Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division.
bef3.jpg
bef4.jpg

Looking forward to seeing these on the tabletop - mind you, the initial purchase was just over 200 models plus six guns and crews. I suspect I will need a lot more to make up the first two Corps and full cavalry division which was sent to France in 1914... :)

Some work in progress - the first of my 10mm First World War British Expeditionary Force.

The figures have been painted with the base colours and a dark brown wash applied.
View attachment 387158

18 pdr Field Gun and crew...
View attachment 387159

These chaps are finished and waiting to be based for the tabletop. They will represent the
View attachment 387160 View attachment 387161

Looking forward to seeing these on the tabletop - mind you, the initial purchase was just over 200 models plus six guns and crews. I suspect I will need a lot more to make up the first two Corps and full cavalry division which was sent to France in 1914... :)
A quick dig puts 2DG in Aldershot in August 1914, so I wondered whereabouts in Aldershot they were; Wellesley? Haig was GOC 1st & 2nd Division and 1st Cavalry Brigade in 1911. During the 1890s developments, Aldershot barracks were named after Wellington’s victories during the Napoleonic War; Albuhera, Barossa, Corunna, and Mandora.

And Rob Clark has done a good job writing up 2DG - 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) Researching WW1 Soldiers.

Trivia, in 1895 2Lt Winston Churchill went from Sandhurst to Aldershot to join 4 QOH at Warburg Barracks, East Cavalry Barracks for cavalry training. Afaik the original Cavalry barracks were brick; East, West and South Cavalry Barracks, when the rest of Aldershot Garrison was all huts.

The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) | National Army Museum

Sorry, will behave. I quite fancy a go at this WWI British and German Cavalrymen 1:35 model, possibly fun to paint for beginners. It's a Panzer Models piece at £15. Thoughts?
1554925129731.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Furryturd The NAAFI Bar 14
Blue from Green Weapons, Equipment & Rations 43
CrashTestDummy ARRSE: Site Issues 24