Figures As requested, an idiots guide by an idiot for figures

Very welcome mate, it's for a good cause too.
Yes it is for a good cause. Honestly it's bloody marvellous what you've done there, many thanks.

Cheers.

I'll look a base out for it at S&L at the weekend, any idea what sort of setting it'll be in?
Well that's kind of you; spoke to the manager this week and it will be a general D-Day 1944 display; mounted photograph boards, and loaned/donated objects. Books, medals, photos, aircraft and memorials included as far as I know.

We're tapping up the local model club for pieces. A lot of research has already been sent in, on individuals and the general history. There will be a room allocated according to size, nearer the date. Hope that helps and cheers for the interest.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well that's kind of you; spoke to the manager this week and it will be a general D-Day 1944 display; mounted photograph boards, and loaned/donated objects. Books, medals, photos, aircraft and memorials included as far as I know.

We're tapping up the local model club for pieces. A lot of research has already been sent in, on individuals and the general history. There will be a room allocated according to size, nearer the date. Hope that helps and cheers for the interest.
Cheers I'll look for something a bit nice then

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Been away for a few days, but it's blocked out now. With the sheepskin interior drybrushed and shaded once it's dried will mount the head and get cracking on it.
IMG_20190331_155534[1].jpg
IMG_20190331_155546[1].jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Initial wash laid over the helmet. I will lay a number of these over it till it looks a suitably deep brown, with the lighter undertone giving it the worn leather look.
IMG_20190331_204334[1].jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
It occurred to me the question has been asked but I forget by who, what a wash was. So I took this picture which shows paint and a wash. The dark is the wash as you can see it's very watered down to be like an ink rather than a paint.
IMG_20190401_180210[1].jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The above pic incidentally shows the base coat and the wash I've used on the helmet. As you can see this method works well for leather. I have laid 4 washes on so far, I will probably lay another 4 before calling it done.
IMG_20190401_183735[1].jpg

Looks the business, especially his sheepskin jacket. Makes you want to have a go at this yourself doesn't it. Proper job there @Helm :thumright:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looks the business, especially his sheepskin jacket. Makes you want to have a go at this yourself doesn't it. Proper job there @Helm :thumright:
Go on have a go, that what I did this SBS for. The jacket is only blocked in I have something in mind to liven it up and will also get the wash treatment.

Go on have a go, that what I did this SBS for. The jacket is only blocked in I have something in mind to liven it up and will also get the wash treatment.
You're on. When things quieten down at work I'll order one for a proper go next month.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Helmet base finished, will do the straps and buckles then mount it on the body. I've included a close up to show how effective the wash is at both shading and giving the leather effect and it's really easy to do too.
IMG_20190402_184459[1].jpg IMG_20190402_184516[1].jpg IMG_20190402_184540[1].jpg
IMG_20190402_184705[1].jpg

Helmet base finished, will do the straps and buckles then mount it on the body. I've included a close up to show how effective the wash is at both shading and giving the leather effect and it's really easy to do too.
View attachment 385799 View attachment 385801 View attachment 385803
View attachment 385804
I'm a big fan of the wash technique for paintnig wargame figures as it fills in the shadows and creases very nicely without covering the detail.. I've just ordered a couple of hundred early WW1 British from Pendraken in 10mm. I have a basic acrylic faded khaki paint which looks just right for the uniform colour, I'll paint the base colour on the figures, touch in the hands, faces and wood furniture on the SMLEs and cover the lot in a mid brown wash.

Allow wash to dry and drybrush or highlight and add any other required details - job jobbed! :)

The following may also be applicable to the make your own bases thread but these things are perfect for displaying of figures of many scales.

Amazon & others sell natural finish timber blocks by the pack - 10 of for a tenner here.
All sorts of different sizes available & wayyyyy cheaper than similar from shows & retailers. Get yourself some suitable timber trim profile from your local DIY store (if you want to add some decorative edging or trim), some wood stain of choice & jobs a good un. Pounds saved & plenty left for the next project.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The following may also be applicable to the make your own bases thread but these things are perfect for displaying of figures of many scales.

Amazon & others sell natural finish timber blocks by the pack - 10 of for a tenner here.
All sorts of different sizes available & wayyyyy cheaper than similar from shows & retailers. Get yourself some suitable timber trim profile from your local DIY store (if you want to add some decorative edging or trim), some wood stain of choice & jobs a good un. Pounds saved & plenty left for the next project.
Just picked up some 50mm blocks @Jack_Prior guess who'll be the first to be mounted on one ;)

Just picked up some 50mm blocks @Jack_Prior guess who'll be the first to be mounted on one ;)
Cheers @Helm. The missus was looking in and pointed at me.. you ! she says. I'll probably find out what (else) I've done, later.

Wait till I start cluttering the kitchen table with models and paints and stuff. She has no idea. Liking the idea from @ches - I've a good supply of timber so maybe the tin of Super Yacht Varnish I've been keeping in the shed will come in handy.

I also think another couple of busts will be coming to @Helm within a couple of weeks, for your own use. Thanks for your efforts much appreciated.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cheers @Helm. The missus was looking in and pointed at me.. you ! she says. I'll probably find out what (else) I've done, later.

Wait till I start cluttering the kitchen table with models and paints and stuff. She has no idea. Liking the idea from @ches - I've a good supply of timber so maybe the tin of Super Yacht Varnish I've been keeping in the shed will come in handy.

I also think another couple of busts will be coming to @Helm within a couple of weeks, for your own use. Thanks for your efforts much appreciated.
While I really appreciate that mate I would rather you gave them to these blokes
Home
I'm not sure if that is what @Simmerit lot turned into if they aren't maybe he can give an assist.
I have a grey army the size of 3rd shock and they would be better off there but thank you again

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Furryturd The NAAFI Bar 14
Blue from Green Weapons, Equipment & Rations 43
CrashTestDummy ARRSE: Site Issues 24