Figures As requested, an idiots guide by an idiot for figures

What else but paint! :-D a dark brown actually. I don't have any details of the gent in question that this represents so felt brown would blend in better with the whole figure.
Agreed. Black shouldn't be used.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The first layer of oil base skin tone applied. a mix of flesh tint with a little yellow ochre. I'll let it settle a bit then start to shade. blend in redder cheeks and darken the shaving area. that is why I prefer oils to acrylics for flesh. As you can see the eyes now look better, the left needs a little correction (damn camera, lie won't you?) I will do that once the head is on the body probably, along with the pupil and iris's final ring.
IMG_20190310_101130[1].jpg
IMG_20190310_101153[1].jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
As promised, the face is starting to get a bit of life to it, with the addition of some shading around the cheeks and the stubble. A touch of crimson was blended in for the cheeks, just a tiny amount and the same with Paynes Grey for the stubble, again a very small amount. If you are trying it out for the first time, use far less then you think you'll need you can always add more. Incidentally I would recommend the suppliers of this bust.
mitchesmilitarymodels (site appears to be being updated right now)
As a good place for cheap but decent busts/figures for anybody thinking about having a go. There are better ones out there but you pay more and for a beginner, I'd always suggest them as a start point.
IMG_20190310_142705[1].jpg
IMG_20190310_142754[1].jpg

@Helm nice to see this, and thanks for the photos. A lot of effort and time on your part but it's very much appreciated. MMM the suppliers were very helpful, also sending out the bust as soon as they got the crossed postal order. I see they've got a V-bust of Johnny Johnson RAF - among a load of others - up on their site as well. They're a good way to get into modelling tbh.

@Helm Do you reckon that at some point you could paint a black person's skin tone?
ATM that is way beyond my starter skill set but it is definately something that I'd like to try and to achieve in the future.
PS: Your tip about using a light grey for the highlights on a green figure is working a treat. I'll send you a picture later. I'm doing okay so far with the flesh tones of the figures.
I'm gonna try your suggestion for the beard later.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Helm Do you reckon that at some point you could paint a black person's skin tone?
ATM that is way beyond my starter skill set but it is definately something that I'd like to try and to achieve in the future.
PS: Your tip about using a light grey for the highlights on a green figure is working a treat. I'll send you a picture later. I'm doing okay so far with the flesh tones of the figures.
Cheers Jack, incidentally MMM's founder has a sister shop with diorama type figure sets RDG

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I haven't painted one as I've not ever seen a figure that I have fancied, but the principles are the same. I do have a Native American figure in the grey army through.
Nearest I got is this, currently languishing on the shelf of shame
197197-7137617ff8535b847f8f095d13539eba.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Now the DTs and the shakes from yesterday have subsided a little, I left you in this position!
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/img_20190310_142754-1-jpg.381782/
I corrected the eye as it was annoying me :shakefist:
A tip for eyes if you're struggling to get them looking the same is to hold the head upside down for the left one (if right handed) as then you'll be working on it with the dominant eye/hand.
I have also added some high lights and shadows where they will be obvious. the final and more subtle ones will be done when the head is in place so as to see where the light falls on it.
IMG_20190317_114327[1].jpg
IMG_20190317_114405[1].jpg

Now the DTs and the shakes from yesterday have subsided a little, I left you in this position!
A tip for eyes if you're struggling to get them looking the same is to hold the head upside down for the left one (if right handed) as then you'll be working on it with the dominant eye/hand.
I have also added some high lights and shadows where they will be obvious. the final and more subtle ones will be done when the head is in place so as to see where the light falls on it.
View attachment 382920 View attachment 382921
Second photo was well worth including as it show the scale of the thing. Much respect.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Second photo was well worth including as it show the scale of the thing. Much respect.
A fairly standard size for a bust, there are some smaller and bigger about, but 200mm is the standard pretty much.
Four from the collection L-R
120mm 200mm, the last two have no actual scale at a guess 1/6 and 1/4ish
IMG_20190317_120930[1].jpg

View attachment 382920 View attachment 382921
That's so lifelike it's scary. Learned a lot on this thread and others. Cheers.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Going out of my usual order for painting here. Normally I paint in the order you'd dress, but that's just my style, again not set in stone. I've painted the scarf and the sheepskin of the flying jacket purely because I want to mount the head in place to finish off the face, goggles etc.
A point to note here is the fur will be shaded counter to the norm of dark to light. This applies to anything that's quilted, recessed etc. The reason being that the outer gets dirty while the recesses stay clean. A reference photo included showing what I mean.

Anyway back to the figure, I've also added a little pattern to the scarf to give it a little more character. Also trying a couple of angles on the head.
IMG_20190325_164022[1].jpg IMG_20190325_164053[1].jpg IMG_20190325_164115[1].jpg IMG_20190325_164132[1].jpg

1st position on the head looks good to me.

Picking up what our man Helm has posted ref Mitches gear, I've done a few of their figs & busts but if anyone gets a chance go to a show they are trading at & you can pick up spare heads out of their spares bin they always have on the front of their stand. About £1 a pop last time I got a couple. I use them for practising on (inc the very same pilot head Helm has got on the go above) & its what made me bin off using Vallejo stuff & go back to good old oils for flesh.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Picking up what our man Helm has posted ref Mitches gear, I've done a few of their figs & busts but if anyone gets a chance go to a show they are trading at & you can pick up spare heads out of their spares bin they always have on the front of their stand. About £1 a pop last time I got a couple. I use them for practising on (inc the very same pilot head Helm has got on the go above) & its what made me bin off using Vallejo stuff & go back to good old oils for flesh.
Now £3! cos of Brexit or summat ;) Still well worth a pop though for practice though

@Helm Love it, he's really come to life. And cheers for all your work and tips on this stuff.
Going out of my usual order for painting here. Normally I paint in the order you'd dress, but that's just my style, again not set in stone. I've painted the scarf and the sheepskin of the flying jacket purely because I want to mount the head in place to finish off the face, goggles etc.
A point to note here is the fur will be shaded counter to the norm of dark to light. This applies to anything that's quilted, recessed etc. The reason being that the outer gets dirty while the recesses stay clean. A reference photo included showing what I mean.

Anyway back to the figure, I've also added a little pattern to the scarf to give it a little more character. Also trying a couple of angles on the head.
View attachment 384479 View attachment 384480 View attachment 384481 View attachment 384482

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Furryturd The NAAFI Bar 14
Blue from Green Weapons, Equipment & Rations 43
CrashTestDummy ARRSE: Site Issues 24