Figures As requested, an idiots guide by an idiot for figures

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
As requested by some of the more deluded members, who feel I'm an "expert" in these things. A step by step guide in the way I throw paint at figures. For the purposes of this demo I am using a Mitches Military Models bust of a WWII pilot. This will eventually be part of a display as mentioned here https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/military-modelling.62648/page-914#post-9112465. This is an ideal bust for a demo as it's got all the common materials found in figures, flesh, cloth, leather, fur and metals.

Right preamble out of the way this is what it starts out like, quite simple really the body, head and two helmet straps, there's a fair bit of cleaning and filling to do, but I think everybody knows how to do that, once I have cleaned/filled and primered it I will continue with it. any comments question go ahead and ask.
IMG_20190308_215425[1].jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What filler do you use?
I use milliput fine for figures and standard for vehicles.
I have used Squadron's Green Stuff but only on dioramas.

Cheers @Helm, will be following this with interest. And it must be said again that your efforts and time are very much appreciated.

I was about to ask a question but checked myself in time when I realised how stupid it was - but having thought about it a bit more, it occurred to me that some modellers will attempt the nigh-on impossible just to prove that they can.

Here goes...

How would you make the transparent lenses for the goggles?

And the reason why I initially thought it was a stupid question is because there isn't any detail behind behind the lenses. So, you up for a challenge?

PS I don't know what scale the model is.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was about to ask a question but checked myself in time when I realised how stupid it was - but having thought about it a bit more, it occurred to me that some modellers will attempt the nigh-on impossible just to prove that they can.

Here goes...

How would you make the transparent lenses for the goggles?

And the reason why I initially thought it was a stupid question is because there isn't any detail behind behind the lenses. So, you up for a challenge?

PS I don't know what scale the model is.
Scale is 1/9 or 200mm fairly standard size for a bust. The goggles I will probably paint as glass so leather effect underneath with clear gloss varnish overall. that failing I will probably paint them as some sort of reflection affair. Filler I use majic sculpt or good old fashioned polyfilla

Thanks. I just thought you might go in for microsculpture although I don't know if it's even practical.

Scale is 1/9 or 200mm fairly standard size for a bust. The goggles I will probably paint as glass so leather effect underneath with clear gloss varnish overall. that failing I will probably paint them as some sort of reflection affair. Filler I use majic sculpt or good old fashioned polyfilla
Would the choice differ or become fixed if they were over his eyes not his flying helmet.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Would the choice differ or become fixed if they were over his eyes not his flying helmet.
Then I think you would need to use some kind of clear resin or be a far better painter than I am to pull it off.

It's a daunting enough task to paint a figure in the privacy of your own home so kudos to you for painting one for public viewing but this seems like an armless enough tutorial so I may just tag along to try and learn something.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If I were doing Verlinden's 120mm op. pagoda figures (SAS blokes in CT gear) I would paint the inside of the goggles flesh first, add some Archer's transfers eyes and once set, a drop of clear resin on top. The larger the scale, the easier it becomes.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
On with the motley as they say
As an aside this is my way of painting, other people may well do it differently. Find a way you like and suits your style is the way forward.
One head primered for the use of, the eyes have been added with a white with a tiny drop of blue (or grey) to stop them being too white, pure white never looks right, especially in this scale.
IMG_20190309_173139[1].jpg
Now a lot of the eye work won't apply to the smaller scale stuff but I like to get the eyes in place, it gives me a "feel" for the figure and how I want the rest to go.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The next bit is to add the Iris
IMG_20190309_173611[1].jpg

At this stage, the eyes look very 1000 yardish, but as I add various stages they'll look a bit less psychotic (hopefully)

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Here the upper and lower eyelids gave been worked in, Dark brown upper and pink lower, tear duct etc. As you can see already the eyes are calming down and look less staring.
IMG_20190309_184913[1].jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Finally a coat of sand coloured acrylic for a base for the oils which will follow. there is still some finishing up on the eyes but I like to make sure the paint is fully dry for those last bits
IMG_20190309_190041[1].jpg

Oyibo

LE
It's a bit difficult to tell from the photos - what did you use for the irises?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's a bit difficult to tell from the photos - what did you use for the irises?
What else but paint! :-D a dark brown actually. I don't have any details of the gent in question that this represents so felt brown would blend in better with the whole figure.

Oyibo

LE
What else but paint! :-D a dark brown actually. I don't have any details of the gent in question that this represents so felt brown would blend in better with the whole figure.
Thanks - from the photos it looked as though you had drilled holes and filled them with anti-matter :wtf:

ETA - that wasn't meant as a criticism. Please continue with the tutorial, it very instructive

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks - from the photos it looked as though you had drilled holes and filled them with anti-matter :wtf:

ETA - that wasn't meant as a criticism. Please continue with the tutorial, it very instructive
I'm married, I live with criticism every day

Latest Threads