As Afghan assault looms, many civilians havent fled

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Feb 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As we have been discussing on various threads it appears the hoped for movement of noncombatants out of the area of the impending offensive may not be working as well as intended.

2. The civilians have not left because I would imagine Terry Taliban has said you leave we shoot you. They need the human shield advantage and also gives them something to hide in.
  3. I agree--not really rocket science after all.
  4. Let us hope that someone is keeping a really close eye on those folk leaving the area.

5. What is the Afghan government providing them when they relocate?If all they have to look forward to is the same insecurity and fighting but with none of the comforts of home and the loss of a crop, it's perhaps not surprising so many choose to risk it by staying put.
  6. What a choice........... stay and become cholateral damage, or leave and go to a 'safe haven' and then starve on your return to your home when its been javelined.
    Poor Bastards. Isn't this a bit like the American 'secure hamlets' programme in Vietnam, where you remove the civpop to create a 'Free-Fire Zone.'
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

We did the same in Malaya and Borneo i think. From what i understand of the nam strategy, the CIA were in control to start with, and the war was going well, but when it became a formal military campaign, the chiefs decided to fight it as a conventional war, not a COIN campaign.
  8. IMHO given McChrystal's reported ROE, I very much doubt we will see anything even approaching a "free fire" zone.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

How many civillians have seen it all before and still arrive back home to find the Taliban still there?
  10. I've no doubt a great many of the local civpop can recognise, "But this time it's going to be different" in English and Russian. They can comfortably be forgiven for being a tad cynical about the difference it'll make to their lives.