Arty Info Required - English Civil War

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by pensionpointer, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any info available on English Civil War Artillery? Ideally a back pocket crib sheet with a few handy bullets as opposed to a great tome of detailed info.

My basic understanding is that there were a few big heavy siege pieces and a mixed bag of lighter pieces that created some smoke and noise but were hardly deemed a battle winning assets and there was certainly no concentration of guns. However i may be wrong. Particularly interested in employment at Battle of Lansdown (5 Jul 1643) and Roundway Down (13 Jul 1643). Also interested in the logistic drag of arty during that period.

Yes, battlefield study research!

I have also posted this in the Military History area so GQ feel free to remove this duplication if it offends.

uqfegd

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I don't know but as the saying goes 'I know a man who might' So I'll ask!

3. Roaring Meg a new model army siege mortar is in Goodrich Castle in the Wye Vally

4. have you tried contacting the Sealed knot? I know they're reenactors but a lot of knowledge amongst them. :)

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

That is where I have asked. I'm a member of the SK and have posted the question on a members only board.

6. lodes of info on both on wiki

7. Sealed Knot Web site civ war arty or google

8. tropper66

Thanks but I was trying to avoid doing any work other than pressing print...economy of effort...a fine principle of war!

uqfegd

pp

9. pop onto the Osprey books website & do a search for it. If its a short concise publication you cant get better than those.

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

New Vanguard 108 "English Civil War Artillery 1642-51" by Chris Henry.

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Received this reply from The Royalist General of Artillery in the Sealed Knot

12. Thanks fellas,

Tour now completed - your info allowed me to wax lyrical on all things that go bang!

uqfegd

pp