Artisan WOs

Discussion in 'REME' started by sirbobbymoore1966, Apr 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody got any views on the above?
    Please.....no slagging of the RS though (I'm not one!), save that for somewhere else.

2. It's a good thing. You do however come out of trade and at present go into the CPWO or RQMS roles at a REME Bn. You are classed as WO Unspec but Manning will not as far as I'm aware allow you to go for any other post than the two mentioned (so far!). Having said that, once you are at a REME Bn the CO can employ you as he sees fit. At first I thought the downside would be leaving the shop floor but it's quite refreshing to do something different. The way things appear to be going there will be yet another increase in the number of Artisans promoted with a variety of posts opening up. It would be interesting to see if an Artisan WO is put into an AQMS slot and if so would he qualify for the higher pay band?

3. If you put Artisan WOs into tiffy slots what are you going to do with the Tiffy WOs who are disadvantaged as a result ? It's an old argument but the artisans had the opportunity to apply to be tiffies and, for whatever reason, set out on the artisan route instead. It's a good thing to have the opportunity for the artisans to reach WO2 but let's not undermine the tiffy process at the same time.

4. Too late B_B

5. Tiffy process, or selection as we know it .... well how many Tiffies have we known throughout the years who have only passed their PAAB by a) Lying through the whole selection process b) Cheating through the actual course... and all you Tiffs reading this dont deny it. I have friends on courses now who were rejected first time round, gave it up as a bad joke only to be selected years later because there was a LACK OF DECENT CANDIDATES, due to the relaxed entry levels into REME. A large portion of "The new age Tiffie's" ARE the aforementioned Artisans who have been reconsidered due to the lack of suitable candidates availablefor PAAB!!! :lol:

6. Tiffy process, or selection as we know it .... well how many Tiffies have we known throughout the years who have only passed their PAAB by a) Lying through the whole selection process b) Cheating through the actual course... and all you Tiffs reading this dont deny it. I have friends on courses now who were rejected first time round, gave it up as a bad joke only to be selected years later because there was a LACK OF DECENT CANDIDATES, due to the relaxed entry levels into REME. A large portion of "The new age Tiffie's" ARE the aforementioned Artisans who have been reconsidered due to the lack of suitable candidates availablefor PAAB!!! :lol:

7. You sound quite bitter.

8. He does but he's definitely not lying :)

9. I wondered when the thread would deteriorate into a tiffies versus artisans argument!! lol
    With the reinstatement of RS imminent how does that affect the 7 RQMS posts at the BNs? Does that mean there will only be the 7 CPD WOs??
    I admire anyone who has the ball to put up with 18 months at SEME but lets be honest guys, there are a lot of tiffies filling posts that anyone can do aren't there?

10. Jungle drums are beating that the RQMS role will be taken on by the Tech Storeman trade as well as the RS. Makes sense as it is a steep learning curve (but satisfying) to go from twisting spanners etc to providing a G4 service. Regarding other posts within a REME Bn there is RRTWO (while the RRT lasts) and Bn PP&C. No doubt there will be other posts come available Corps wide. Who knows maybe one day the Corps ASM will be of the Artisan persuasion lol.

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to put a smiley at the end of a message? Ta.

11. Instead of going to "quick reply" click on "post reply" and they are there :D

12. Having experienced an Artisan WO as the RQMS, I recommend that they are better employed elsewhere. I fully endorse that Tech Storeman take on the role, with probably 17 or 18 years G4 experience under their belts who better???? RS could also be bracketed with the Artisans, as they spend very little time in the logistical world, and the All Arms RQMS course doesn't prepare you for the role you are to fulfil, I know this from experience.

There is some very good Artisan WOs and RS out there, and they do have a role to play, but not in Logistics.

13. Why not keep them in trade and post them to SEME SEAE as instructors? Or even the positions in the IPTs where they will be helping the guys on the shop floor with problems they may have encountered themselves.

The whole idea of Artisan is that you are skilled and experienced in your chosen trade, seems odd that you are put in a post that you have no previous experience with.

14. Surely not. Someone with a good idea. Stop it right now. It might catch on and then where would we be!!
    Let's just get rid of all the RS lads with all their experience and give their jobs to someone who hasn't been on a range since they last failed their APWT.

15. Re Flat_Liner: The all arms RQMS course DOES prepare you for the role. If you have done the course then you most certainly would have found other students from differing cap badges who also have had no experience of the G4 world. Your initial learning curve at post is just that much steeper that is all. Where do you think the infantry or cavalry get their RQMSs? In my experience they have arrived at that appointment through who they were due to the seniority of the appointment, not ability or previous experience.

I do, however, agree that the Artisans can also be employed elsewhere, especially at trade alongside the AQMSs. Excuse the cliche but we both have something of value to bring to the party. Just like DE and LE. :wink: :lol: