artillery observers in combat

Hi, I recently applied for the army in the infantry but got told I had the qualification to join a lot of the corps, so I should look at other roles. one of the roles that interested me was the artillery observers. ive see in places that they serve with combat units but is was sceptical on how much they are actually involved in combat. do they just sit at the back on a radio or are they right up at the front.

Hi, I recently applied for the army in the infantry but got told I had the qualification to join a lot of the corps, so I should look at other roles. one of the roles that interested me was the artillery observers. ive see in places that they serve with combat units but is was sceptical on how much they are actually involved in combat. do they just sit at the back on a radio or are they right up at the front.
With regards to artillery observation and proximity to target sets, to quote a line from Band of Brothers; "if I can't see the bugger I can't bloody well shoot him".

It depends on the theatre. In Europe fields of view are fairly good, jungle is a different game entirely. Either way, observers are usually with arm sqns or inf coys.

ugly

LE
D

Deleted 20555

When I was being trained as a FO for an 81mm mortar platoon it never occurred to me to enquire why one mortar platoon needed to have four observers or one and three spares as it were...

ugly

LE
When I was being trained as a FO for an 81mm mortar platoon it never occurred to me to enquire why one mortar platoon needed to have four observers or one and three spares as it were...
One for each OC and one for the CO?

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
There are four MFC parties in a Mortar Platoon as 14 A/B are the Anchor OP for the BG, 11A/B are A Coy, 12A/B are B Coy and 13A/B are C Coy.

The Mor Pl Comd is the MFC for the Co as he should be at the Co's left shoulder, which is why all sitreps on the Mor Net should be sent to 10A.

I had a fairly short spell as a 13B and then 13A and although I was fairly shit at it I really enjoyed it. For the OP being part of the FOO party, I would think is quite a decent job.

Go RA.
More options and variety once you're qualified.
You'd definately have more chance of getting on an arduous course, AACC or Parachuting than any Army Infantry.
Therefore being with a Unit, Commando or Airbourne, that would get you a front row seat sharpish.

Latest Threads