Artillery = Combat ??

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by wellyhead, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Something that has bugged me for a while and I was wondering the official line

When I joined up you had Combat, Combat Support and Support, the Gunners fell into Combat Support with the wedgies and the scalleys, I disagreed but accepted the set-up

Has that all changed as everywhere I look on mod sites says RA = Combat

I would like the fact please not endless debates on nine mile snipers etc

2. Not sure myself as to the official line Welly but at a guess now that they renamed the OP ack tream as Targetting then we would have to fall in the catergory of combat!

3. hi i got told at the ACIO that the artillery is classed as combat

4. This is a Recruiting Group anomoly. For marketing purposes The Gunners are placed in the 'Combat' Career Product Group along with the Inf, RAC and AAC as we sit easier there than in the others. Doctrinally we remain in the Combat Support group.

5. You will find most posts where there is a Combat requirement state "Combat or Combat Support".

uqfegd

pp

6. IIRC it was Infantry, Tankies and Artillery were the teeth arms and stil remain so. All the rest are back-up/support roles.

7. Combat was Infantry, Armour and Air Corps

Combat Support was Artillery, Engineers and Signals

Rest Support.

It was always grated be that an Air Corps Helo can be considered "teeth" whilst Arty Strike, before anyone says "Tank Busting" I'll counter with "Cloud Punching"

Then again the concept of front lines and teeth units is now a little archaic

8. Thats what I was told when I joined. So in twenty years I have become an anachronism....

9. The basic, simple, thinking seems to be that 'combat' arms see their targets primarily through direct fire sights. AAC is a relatively recent addition to 'cbt arms', before they got seriously armed heli they were cbt sp.

You have to remember that the concept of indirect fire is a tad difficult for some parts of the army to grasp.

10. msr

msr LE

Combat Arms
    The Combat Arms are those which use fire and manoeuvre to engage the enemy with direct fire weapon systems. There are three Combat Arms:

The Royal Armoured Corps (RAC)
    The Infantry
    The Army Air Corps (AAC)

Combat Support Arms
    The four Combat Support Arms provide fire support and operational assistance to combat forces.

The Royal Artillery (RA).
    The Royal Engineers (RE).
    The Royal Signals (R SIGNALS).
    The Intelligence Corps (INT CORPS).

Combat Service Support
    The purpose of CSS is to sustain deployed forces. The Services that carry out CSS are:

The Royal Logistic Corps (RLC).
    The Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC).
    The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME).
    The Adjutant General’s Corps (AGC).

msr