Artificial Disc Replacement - Cervical Spine (thats the neck)

Be interesting to see how it pans out.
Me too.

Fasting, I'm on the list for 11:00am and no food till sometime tomorrow.

Just had a chat with the Doc, really nice bloke, he doesn't foresee any problems, fundamentally good physique, good MRI so I should be up and around tomorrow.

Cheers lad's and lasses.:)

If you want drop me a PM to remind me and when I am up and about again in a couple of days I will send you the contact info for the three I consulted - they all do free MRI / x-ray appraislals so nowt lost just for asking.
Will do thanks.

What is it with skydivers and lumbar vertebrae? I broke C2 in a car crash on the way back to Nethers from the pub...!

Stopped me jumping for a year or so and I did not go down the planned Heavy Drop career route, but has not affected me (touch wood..) that much since, but I don't need a barometer to tell me when it is cold and damp!

Best of luck mate..

At the end of the day sticking needles in nerve pathways doesn't sort anything it just damages the nerves enough so that you do not feel the pain anymore.

I know surgeons very carefully do their entry's to avoid the nerves to make sure that you still retain feeling to various body parts.

Accupuncture I have always thought of like sticking black nasty over a leak on a canoe. The hole is still there and you are just gonna need to stick more black nasty on it when the existing stuff gives out.
TENS machines seem to help some people. No need to stick needles in nerves.

Wife just called, arrested on the table, sounds like the anaesthetic was too much for his fragile body. RIP.
"The report of my death was an exaggeration"
. Mark Twain, 31st May, 1897.

Right, I'm up and about:):cool:. You can stop the poll for pall bearers.

One minute I was looking up the anaesthesiologists nose listening to him tell me about his dad's day's flying Starfighters the next my surgeon was over me in the recovery room asking me to repeat certain words to him. Apparently because it is around the spine the first indicator they use to make sure they have not nicked any nerves is to get you to repeat words with lots of vowels in them - then they do the reflex test when you are a bit more with it.

My spine was severed, a new disc is in situ.

I am walking and talking with zero to minimal pain.

I am wearing a padded neck collar to stop my head from falling off.....the Doc say's it is a safty measure to stop patients from wildly moving their heads around for the first week and a bit of a psychological crutch.

My immediate feelings/sensations:

No more rice crispy's noise when I turn my head, it turns smoothly too.

I had pain in both my triceps which I was putting down to rotator cuff injury when mountain biking - PAIN GONE.

Sensation down my forearms which when bent over the handlebars riding the bike used to continue down to my little and ring fingers - NO MORE FOREARM SENSATION, I'll have to wait till I am on the bike to do a full assessment.

My limited head rotation seem's to have improved to being able to turn my head further - did not want to try too hard though.

All looking fcuking great at the moment so we'll see how it goes:).

Apologies I think I saidd the Canadian chap had 3 lower and 2 neck done, he had 3 neck and 2 lumbar done. He is walking up and down the corridor now with no walking frame holding his girlfriends hand and today the physio beasted him up and down the stairs. He is happy as larry.

I just got the x-rays for my implant and will upload one later......lunchtime is approaching and I have not eaten more than a sympathy yoghurt given to me in the ICU since the day before yesterday.

A further note on mine and my GP's assumptions on my possible rotator cuff injury. The Radiologist after my MRI t'other day was asking me about pain in my triceps. I told him I had been experiencing that for around the last 3 years or so and he told me it could be an impingment out of the left side of the disc onto the spinal nerve bundle.

Then this morning my Doc told me that disc had squished out to the left a great deal and he had to remove a lot of squished disc material on that side. There we go, gone, this morning, no more tricep ache and pain.

Please Pm me too. Very interested in this. Out of interest what is the sort of cost for lumbar disc replacement?

Best of luck.

Pps I’m a 34” waist and size 10 boots, let your family know
With my bloke not much different to what I paid for my cervical which was around 17K - 18K euros. The Canadian chap told me he paid mid-50K's euros for his 5 discs which was two operations and two week in hospital with a week between the op's. They are all fixed fee's and they send you an itemised breakdown of the costs before you commit. The only unexpected I had was not getting a fresh MRI before I arrived and having to pay 800 euro's for one.....MRI for operative purposes needs to be no older than 6 months.

I'm off now the boxhead sally bash lady is at my door with lunch.

Excellent..

"Feet & Knees together - Elbows In" !

"The report of my death was an exaggeration"
. Mark Twain, 31st May, 1897.

Right, I'm up and about:):cool:. You can stop the poll for pall bearers.

One minute I was looking up the anaesthesiologists nose listening to him tell me about his dad's day's flying Starfighters the next my surgeon was over me in the recovery room asking me to repeat certain words to him. Apparently because it is around the spine the first indicator they use to make sure they have not nicked any nerves is to get you to repeat words with lots of vowels in them - then they do the reflex test when you are a bit more with it.

My spine was severed, a new disc is in situ.

I am walking and talking with zero to minimal pain.

I am wearing a padded neck collar to stop my head from falling off.....the Doc say's it is a safty measure to stop patients from wildly moving their heads around for the first week and a bit of a psychological crutch.

My immediate feelings/sensations:

No more rice crispy's noise when I turn my head, it turns smoothly too.

I had pain in both my triceps which I was putting down to rotator cuff injury when mountain biking - PAIN GONE.

Sensation down my forearms which when bent over the handlebars riding the bike used to continue down to my little and ring fingers - NO MORE FOREARM SENSATION, I'll have to wait till I am on the bike to do a full assessment.

My limited head rotation seem's to have improved to being able to turn my head further - did not want to try too hard though.

All looking fcuking great at the moment so we'll see how it goes:).

Apologies I think I saidd the Canadian chap had 3 lower and 2 neck done, he had 3 neck and 2 lumbar done. He is walking up and down the corridor now with no walking frame holding his girlfriends hand and today the physio beasted him up and down the stairs. He is happy as larry.

I just got the x-rays for my implant and will upload one later......lunchtime is approaching and I have not eaten more than a sympathy yoghurt given to me in the ICU since the day before yesterday.
So when is your next HALO jump ?

great news, there's hope for us yet. Just need to find a way for my medical insurance to cover it and I'll be the next Steve Austin.
If you have one of the UK PPP's, or BUPA type widgets go and see Mr Khai Lam at London Bridge Hospital. Google will find him, he is probably the numero uno in the UK and been at it for well over 10 years now.

Wife just called, arrested on the table, sounds like the anaesthetic was too much for his fragile body. RIP.
You'd have thought Shagnasty of the Yard could have waited until after the op to nick him. Not like he was going to run awa....

Oh, you mean arrested as in karked. Shame. He seemed like a nice bloke too. What's his wife like? I have a "comfort and cuddles' slot available if she meets the criteria.

Latest Threads