Artificial Disc Replacement - Cervical Spine (thats the neck)

Well I have been in the hospital since yesterday afternoon, I have been sucked dry of blood, weighed measured, prodded, poked and re-MRI'ed.

Just waiting for the final chat with the surgeon this afternoon and should be going under the knife at sparrow fart tomorrow if he is happy. First day I spend in ICU as a just in case because it was a neck op and they do not want an unnoticed throat swelling choking me to death. I should be out of ICU on thursday.

As to the scope of the operation: Here with me as fellow patients there is a Kiwi who has flown over to get two lumbar discs replaced due to sports injuries. There is also a guy from Canadashire who had two cervical discs replaced last week and two days ago had three lumbar discs replaced - he was out of ICU yesterday and on bed rest, today he got up and did ablutions, pain (to be expected) but he is happy so far. He told me that the neck op he had last week was a doddle and he was up and moving more or less immediately he was out of ICU.
There's a rather interesting video of a similar procedure on youtube - amazing what surgeons can do these days. Good luck and godspeed.

What size boots?

"Dr Biren Desai "

Good German name that...

Good luck BTW
But if you say 'Herr Doktor Biren Desai' you'd think he was an indigenous Boxkopf.

Good luck for a swift and 100% return to full fitness @Effendi. Give my very best regards to the good Herr Doktor Mengele Desai.

Cracking.

Now. Who’s executor of your will?

Mate.....
I have a couple of AR's, 2 mossberg 590's, half a dozen Glocks and a good selection of HSGI (which you would like) just contact the Mrs and she'll make sure you get the stuff;).

There's a rather interesting video of a similar procedure on youtube - amazing what surgeons can do these days. Good luck and godspeed.

What size boots?
Three various pairs of Lowa in UK 11. TBH nothing for your delicate ladylike tootsie's.......probably more in line for @ugly

I have just been chatting with the Canadian chap who has had his neck and his lumbar done. He is allowed to get up any time he feels ready to give it a go and walk. He just walked the length of the corridor and back with a huge grin on his face, a good 80 metres 2 days post op. He also told me that the crunchy rice krispies noise I get when I turn my head will instantly be gone when I wake up after the op.

Shitting myself, but looking forward to it.

But if you say 'Herr Doktor Biren Desai' you'd think he was an indigenous Boxkopf.

Good luck for a swift and 100% return to full fitness @Effendi. Give my very best regards to the good Herr Doktor Mengele Desai.
German mum, Indian dad, born and bought up im vaterland. He is a really nice and actually communicative surgeon.

I have a couple of AR's, 2 mossberg 590's, half a dozen Glocks and a good selection of HSGI (which you would like) just contact the Mrs and she'll make sure you get the stuff;).

Three various pairs of Lowa in UK 11. TBH nothing for your delicate ladylike tootsie's.......probably more in line for @ugly
Put me down for anything Sect 1 or 2 and the boots :)

Thanks for this, having recently been diagnosed with collapsed vertebrae in the c-spine along with arthritis (20 years playing prop) it seems there maybe light at the end of the tunnel rather than just fusing the discs

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Fully research before considering such an operation, really do your homework and make sure you are happy with the surgeon and their abilities.

Oh well, worth a shot. And yes, 11 is rather larger than required.

Looks like Ugly has lost out to Cpt Danjou anyway. I expect it's a weight off your mind that they'll be off to a good home should you go off to infinity and beyond.

Fully research before considering such an operation, really do your homework and make sure you are happy with the surgeon and their abilities.
There are several Dr's in Germany who have been at the cutting edge of this surgery for many years. They will warn you off and not take you for treatment if they do not think they are capable of doing you any good. You should though make up your own mind and find one you are comfortable with who can demonstrate a significant level of competence in the procedure.

I came over in march and did the rounds of 3 surgeons, all rated as top of the tree in this particular area. One of them has performed the operation around 5000 times and is regarded by many in the field as being THE bloke to go and see - did'nt like him, too far up his own arrse with his importance. The second runs a private clinic, has done the op around 4000 times - face to face he gave me one opinion and by email his monkeys gave me a conflicting opinion, so no firkin way. The one I chose, quiet, competent, humble, the spokesperson for the disc manufacturer perfoms the op 2 to 3 times a week and has had no failures - my fellow patients, the Canadian and the Kiwi were both of the same opinion having also researched and spoken with the other two themselves also.

The thing with fusion is that glueing two discs together removes the 6 degree's of movement that a spinal disc allows the adjacent vertebrae to make. That causes an increase in pressure on the adjacent discs when trying to take up that 6 degrres of movement and in a younger person could eventually cause problems and the necessity for further ops at a later date. ADR preserves the movement and motion and is proven in its robustnes in allowing people to continue sporting activites after full healing and rehab. I believe one of the english surgeons offering the procedure uses a phrase where he says people can even go back to playing rugby.

What I liked about the whole deal when I first read about it some 10 - 12 years ago was that they go in through the front pushing stuff aside to get to the disc. With the older more traditional approaches surgeons have gone in from the back where they have had to cut away muscle and bone to get to the affected disc - potentially causing more problems.

The Kiwi has a bloke in his office who came over last year for the same op, I am told he is right as rain and enjoying life again. But, it is a decision anyone has to make for themselves.

I'm just sat sitting watching Goliath on @mazon to relieve the stress, tension, boredom.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, having recently been diagnosed with collapsed vertebrae in the c-spine along with arthritis (20 years playing prop) it seems there maybe light at the end of the tunnel rather than just fusing the discs
If you want drop me a PM to remind me and when I am up and about again in a couple of days I will send you the contact info for the three I consulted - they all do free MRI / x-ray appraislals so nowt lost just for asking.

I hope it all goes well @Effendi .
I can't help but be a little despondent and hope they could do something to fix my crumbling spine!

I have just been chatting with the Canadian chap who has had his neck and his lumbar done. He is allowed to get up any time he feels ready to give it a go and walk. He just walked the length of the corridor and back with a huge grin on his face, a good 80 metres 2 days post op. He also told me that the crunchy rice krispies noise I get when I turn my head will instantly be gone when I wake up after the op.

Shitting myself, but looking forward to it.
A disc went in my neck last year. Never known anything like and I've had 30 years of lower back problems.

I ended up with steroid injections - the consultant didn't want to fuse because it'd put pressure on the other vertebrae in the neck and they're all worn.

I had acupuncture yesterday - 15 needles - as there's still ghost pain and muscle memory means that although the disc is now sorted I'm still getting the same symptoms occasionally. I'm laid up spasming and full of ibuprofen tonight.

Mate, get it done. Get fixed, get on. Good luck.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
A disc went in my neck last year. Never known anything like and I've had 30 years of lower back problems.

I ended up with steroid injections - the consultant didn't want to fuse because it'd put pressure on the other vertebrae in the neck and they're all worn.

I had acupuncture yesterday - 15 needles - as there's still ghost pain and muscle memory means that although the disc is now sorted I'm still getting the same symptoms occasionally. I'm laid up spasming and full of ibuprofen tonight.

Mate, get it done. Get fixed, get on. Good luck.
Be surprised if acupuncture sorts it.

Be surprised if acupuncture sorts it.
At the end of the day sticking needles in nerve pathways doesn't sort anything it just damages the nerves enough so that you do not feel the pain anymore.

I know surgeons very carefully do their entry's to avoid the nerves to make sure that you still retain feeling to various body parts.

Accupuncture I have always thought of like sticking black nasty over a leak on a canoe. The hole is still there and you are just gonna need to stick more black nasty on it when the existing stuff gives out.

All the best, bud. Hals und bein bruch. er, maybe that's not so appropriate.

Latest Threads