ARTIFICERS - CREME DE LA CREME

Discussion in 'REME' started by ducebigalo, Oct 16, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bright young sparks on exellerated promotion, higher pay bands and commisioning potential. They are the movers and shakers of the Engineering process. Every one aspires to be one.

If this is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Then why isn't the Corps overwhelmed with potential tiffies battering the PAAB doors to get in?

I have a flack jacket, helmet, Kate Adies pants 8O and my Grandads Anderson shelter........................FIRE AWAY.

2. They have solved the problem of under application by putting the selection process at the end of the upgrading course, by which time the applicant has been brainwashed into thinking its a good idea.
    This also creates the problem initally that all the up graders who pass will arrive back at their units as a full screw ( if that is still going to happen) and then (due to current under course loading) be back on the tiffy course in 12 months, outcome a 7 - 8 year SSGT. got to be good for experience in the corp, just as well weve still got some artisans left who know what to do!!

3. Having recently completed a tiffi course, i would say that a large part of the lack of interest is financial. I am only on 6p more a day than most of my Sgts in the workshop, for working my ass off for close to 2 years..!!!

4. now even less posts for art elect as all bns are losing Qs and 3 tiffies mmmmmmmmm where next

5. and all armd recce regiments have just lost an ess tiffy as well.....

is redundancy on the cards ???

£££££££££ :D

6. Lets hope redundancy is on the cards, i'm your man if it is.

7. Now that the powers have got rid of some trades and amalgamated others are we going to see Tiffy (Tech) and Tiffy (Mech)?

8. Tiffy's- Go on a 18 month course, read pass backs all day. Then change all your cheat sheets into Font 4. Top 5% ers (NOT)

9. Top 5% they might not be my friend but they are SSgts at 30 with a HND, who's having the last laugh.....?

10. Probably those who spent 8 years of their own free time to gain an OU degree, got shafted by the powder-puff jokers, got out and are now earning 5 grand a year more as a civvy and seeing far more of the world too!

:)

11. A HND is a bit of a laugh these days, the dumbing down of engineering qualifications is rife. The foundation degrees "earned" by some artificers are only worth 240 OU points. The OU is just as guilty with degrees now being granted at 300 points.
    I believe a BSc is granted at the end of some tiify courses (e.g. Avionics), but employers will be quick to identify proper degrees and those which are really just a HND with honours. Achieved at 30, by the time the said artificer uses it in anger at age 40 it will probably be the equivalent of a GCSE!
    Prehaps these back door qualifications are sanctioned to improve the rate of applications for artificer training? I hope this is not the case as recent letters in The Crafty suggested that Engineering Council Registration was more important than academic qualifications.
    Hat off to those that pursue OU degrees but for engineers these quals must be backed up by membership of a decent engineering institution and Engineering Council Registration. These will ensure proper recognition.

12. A HND is a bit of a laugh these days, the dumbing down of engineering qualifications is rife. The foundation degrees "earned" by some artificers are only worth 240 OU points. The OU is just as guilty with degrees now being granted at 300 points.
    I believe a BSc is granted at the end of some tiify courses (e.g. Avionics), but employers will be quick to identify proper degrees and those which are really just a HND with honours. Achieved at 30, by the time the said artificer uses it in anger at age 40 it will probably be the equivalent of a GCSE!
    Prehaps these back door qualifications are sanctioned to improve the rate of applications for artificer training? I hope this is not the case as recent letters in The Crafty suggested that Engineering Council Registration was more important than academic qualifications.
    Hat off to those that pursue OU degrees but for engineers these quals must be backed up by membership of a decent engineering institution and Engineering Council Registration. These will ensure proper recognition.

13. I have to agree with you there on the credibility of the HND, however, my point for one-eye was if it's going for a song then you'd be mad to turn it down.

I too have seen the Crafty articles referring to the Engineering Institution membership, personally I don't see how paying £80+ a year for a monthly magazine to line the bin with will make me a better engineer?

Anyway, with just over 6 years to go I see an OU degree on the cards, might as well get the benefit of the ELC before they realise they can't afford it. Personally the only degrees that I have ever rated are those of true maths and science, but at the end of the day no matter what it is, it shows you can stick at something and be educated. Like I said in my original quote, if there's something up for grabs that adds a feather to your cap you'd be a fool not to grab it.

I think I'll be waving engineering goodbye when I walk out the gate, a business degree looks on the cards, I'll probably be the best educated bin-man on my round....lol!

14. It doesn't make you a better engineer if that is all you do. Any professional institution will offer you a variety of courses and networking events as well as the ability to progress within the institution. It is almost like a second career (sort of). If you bother with this it shows a dedication to engineering and the desire to progress as a professional. This is what is seen as making you a better engineer. It is however hard to spot someone who is doing this and not just "lining his bin". Whether someone in the armed forces is able to attend many courses/events etc is the question...

15. Yep £80 a year is a lot to splash out (the RAeS comes in at over a ton) and most people would be better waiting until their last couple of years service to join. But if you are doing any higher education, the Professional Affairs Department will be able to advise as to whether the courses you select are likely to be worthwhile, and if they satify the educational requirements of the Engineering Council grade you are pursuing.
    Considering the right quals/grade can be worth an extra £10k/year that's a pretty good investment!