Article on the military in The Business

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dirty_Welts, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Haven't we done this before?
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

An accurate account - shocking that it was.

SVEN!!! Come on, what's the party response?
  3. Be nice....:D
  4. I fully agree and if you listen to File on 4 tonight 30th Jan at 8pm it is even more alarming.
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

As the article is from today, I doubt it (although that is a good initial response).

6. Hmmmmm

Thread started on the 30th Jan, 09:46. Your post 30th Jan, 12:00 Article written 24/1/2007

Another Cheap-shot off its mark. You aren't going to pass Your APWT at this rate (seeing as You make Cheap-shots Your weapon of choice)
  7. Need you ask?

Labour pic'n'mix replies:

Someone else's fault. Now under the Tories....
    NHS spending figures etc, aren't they great? Now under the Tories....
    Funds already allocated to service housing. Now under the Tories....
    This is not what the Army are telling us. Now under the Tories....
    Figures manipulated to be deliberately misleading. Now under the Tories....
    We inherited the problem. Now under the Tories....
    We are conducting a review. Now under the Tories....

Is there a collective noun for the hair that gets caught in plug holes? If so that's what Liarbour polirticians are.
  8. Depressing. Utterly depressing.
  9. Never mind, don't think labour will get re-elected anyway. Morally bankrupt, corrupt, and caught in a world of spin - lets just hope that Cameron can pull it off. The Military, "inherently Tory" according to Brown? Only because you pushed us that way, oh, and by the way, I will be supporting any referendum on english independance.
  10. Seconded. I think what struck me the most was that traffic wardens are paid more than privates :thumbdown:

My impression is that the Defence budget is being used and abused in order to further cut government spending or to send to other government ministries. As others on this site have pointed out before, it is not defence procurement which gets votes, it is schools and hospitals, policemen and so forth.

As others have also noted, it will take a disaster for people to sit up and notice. Wasn't there a big funding boost post- Falklands? Is the death of 10 soldiers at one incident (or more) going to do it?
  11. a well written, but harrowing look at our forces
  12. Good article. As for traffic wardens getting paid more than squaddies, I think the quick answer's fairly simple- send traffic wardens. I'm sure the number of vehicle-borne IEDs would reduce significantly. Hurrah!

Come on, man. It's The Party. It's almost as if you want to do 6 years in a re-education camp! Jeez.