Article in the Indy

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by RP578, Jun 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The Big Question: What does the Territorial Army do, and how has it changed?

A nice piece in today's Independent (though still riddled with inaccuracies). Interestingly they class HM's service in the ATS as making her an ex-STAB, which I suppose she was.

2. My Bold

That should cock up recruiting as people who read this will beleive that they cannot leave before the 3 years is up & so will be less inclined to enquire into a career.

Nice piece if they had got it right - Cheers Independant
  3. I don't think that would be true. How many people really would believe its something you can just walt z in and out of. Do you really want them in anyway?

Edited as I missed out the z. Freudian slip.
  4. ....and some of us would have said SDR...
  5. It's rather unfortunate that it takes three deaths before the general public starts taking us seriously.

And then only because the letters SAS are involved.
  6. msr

msr LE

Which planet are you orbiting?

7. I think you're kidding yourself if you think the avarage brit even knows that the TA are in Afghanistan and Iraq.
  8. I agree Mark. I spoke with a friend recently about the TA in Afghanistan - he has no particular interest in the military, and he was genuinely surprised when I told him about the contribution that the Territorials have been making in Iraq and Afghanistan. Unfortunately I suspect the "Weekend Warrior" image is still a prevalent view taken by most of the general public.
  9. This again is something I have to disagree with unless you live in Royston Vasey.

But also why should they?
    TA wear the same uniform as Regs. The TA are doing the same job as the Regs, why should they know and why does it matter. When they see the images on TV reservists aren't highlighted for the publics awareness.

If anything it is a good article and advert for the TA.
  10. Yes the article is a good one, though the writer seems somewhat suprised about what the TA are doing.