Article in Private Eye

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kitmarlowe, Oct 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Flipping through the latest Private Eye I spotted an article discussing the plan to PFI Defense Training at a quoted £19 Billion.

What's this all about..? What Defense training, the article suggests such training as Tank driver training

2. Its the Defence Training Review (DTR) - MOD have a website, sorry cant be ARRSEd to find it myself...

3. There is a link here:http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/TrainingandExercises/DTR/DefenceTrainingReviewRationalisationIntegratedProjectTeamDtript.htm

Basically, instead of the Status Quo, the MoD signs a huge contract with a contracter who will then provide the same training that we get now but charge us a small fortune for so doing and then tell us how much money we are saving.

I would be extremely worried. The MoD doesn't have a good track record on signing contracts. BOWMAN and the Chinook debacle as popular cases in point.

Training will become lowest common denominator, far too civilianised and is bound to suffer. It will be spun massively to the contrary. You can guarantee that there will be all manner of ex-Services types on the board of the contracter laughing all the way to the bank....

Did you see the stuff in Private Eye about JPA? Be very afraid.....

4. JPA doesn't make me afraid. It is very similar to watching a one legged tightrope walker. You know he is going to hit the ground like a sack of shyte, but the suspense of watching keeps you riveted to the spot. There is an old IT Acronym - SISO - Sh1t in, Sh1t out - How the hell can we depend on a system which relies on correct data entry, and relies on the ability to use a computer. 30% of recruits coming out of ITC are classed as illiterate (Deepcut Report refers).

Then there is the honesty and integrity bit. In the past, when you go off on a jaunt, and it took over 5 or 10 hours, you got a flat rate of subsistence allowance (DRSA). Now if you go off you can put the claim in for the food you have bought on the journey, and you must keep the reciepts for one year in case someone comes to audit you. Same goes for NRSA. In addition to paying your hotel or accommodation bill, you were also given a flat rate. Again, now you have to keep your reciepts and put in a 1771 for them when you get back.

Hmm.. JPA. A good idea, however I think they have created a monster, which will cause more grief than it provides benefit.

5. [​IMG]

Open the Pay Office doors, please Hal...

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I think this ties in to the UK based Div that has just been given a lot of money to pay for a defence consultancy firm to come in and write their exercises for them. Something to do with the Div being too busy, understaffed, mostly overseas, etc etc.

The firm in mind has a big smile at the mo. They are basically 90% ex mil too but their consultancy fee per day per "SO1" equivilant is something in the order of 500 a day.

Anymore looking for a job at the 16 yr point? It's a growing market!

7. I iz keeping a eye out wiv dis training thing coz I am ded impotent in the militar treaning mashine and I fink I cud get a cuntarct wiv dem as a dierectal. Jeepcut wos rong coz I kan spell. SSI.

8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Come on down! :D

9. No need to worry. The £19 Bn has already been saved, less the cash needed for individual play-stations so we can all simulate to our hearts content.

LAND has handed control of the training estate to Defence Estates, so there will soon be nowhere to train. It will all have been sold off for civvy housing or declared off limits for Environmental conservation purposes.

http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/nao_reports/05-06/050625es.pdf

10. That Darth, is a stroke of pure genius!

I'm afraid I can't do that Dave! :lol: