Article by director of RUSI on emerging strategic choices for UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jim30, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is UK to be an EU province or a sovereign nation? The pending substantial dismantling of the armed forces only makes sense if the former choice has already been made (albeit unannounced or subject to the democratic process....).

2. A long read, but I'm at my desk so it counts as research :)

At last someone is stating out loud that therre is a large grey mammal with a trunk in the room; we can't rely on our special relationship with the US, the EU is a bureaucratic nightmare, and we can't afford to go it alone. Our military is unsustainable but we still expect to be a major player on the international scene - we must therefore forge new alliances with emerging countries (especially India IMHO) which will change the nature of our armed forces from grunts to mil advisors, cashing in our heritage as the experienced tribal elder. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the SDSR will identify that the new threats are best countered by intellligence and diplomacy instead of rifles and chobham.

In short - we're all out of a job :-(

3. msr

msr LE

He was doing so well until he brought up the cyber-war bogeyman.

4. Sounds like a variation on the surrogate/proxy wars which were so popular during the Cold War and lots of "advisors" were remarkably active participants.

5. And why not? We can't afford an all-encompassing military any more, but UK PLC could carve itself a niche as HQ of our Commonwealth allies. Diplomacy, as oppposed to brute force, is the only solution that I can perceive.

6. I don't see the logic in this. The UK can remain a sovereign nation just one that accepts that we are never again going to sail halfway round the world and invade someone so we don't need the carriers and amphibious assault ships to do so. Then we need forces that can defend the UK and intervene in places where we're asked to by the locals in ways that will not have us seen as the invaders. This force will not necessaries need to have that large a regular component and these regulars will not be Challenger, Warrior, AS90 type forces supported by lots of Typhoons and other high tech air so some military egos are going to have to take a battering. The world moves on so must the military.