Article: Barbour Northumbria Jacket

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by oscar1whisky, Jul 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mine's a Border - the lighter weight version I thnk. In retrospect I wish I'd gone for the Northumbria, but hindsight = 20/20 and all that!! My previous one, which lasted 13 yrs until some c**t stole it from the train, had benefitted massively from leather strip reinforcement along the cuffs and the bottom of the jacket; I'd recommend this if you can get it done.

Barbours in general are awesome pieces of kit. One of my oppos is a gamey on one of the Highland estates, gets one each year (on the house expenses I think). He swears by them.
  2. The Northumbria is far too heavy for regular use. My old man has had one for nearly 30 years and, whilst it is a very good piece of kit, it is far too weighty and the material too thick for 'proper' work.
  3. It's too warm and heavy for here in Devon. I've got one, 20 years old but barely worn (bought after an excessively good lunch in mistake for a Border), would suit tall person if anyone wants it.
  4. davidflies

davidflies War Hero Book Reviewer

Ditto - 20 years - even too heavy for the High peak at 1000 feet except when there is 3+ feet of snow - then it's ace - but not while snow clearing
  5. Save yourself some money take a trip to the factory shop just outside Newcastle. Take plenty of money as there's loads of discounted items that are essential when you see them.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Would this be better put in the shooting section as its not really issue tissue or even close?
  7. Depends if we can get them to make them in MTP - the DPM Barbours were all the rage back in the day.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fair one, I have the last pattern rustic in DPM and whilst its no patch on the old 4 pocket ones its better than nowt!
  9. You'd need some ******* trousers to tuck that into.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It's ideal for standing about at a peg in the middle of Winter. It's probably not suitable for the help.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. My first barbour was a Northumbria. I found it in a skip full of builders rubbish. Took it home, cleaned it up and re-waxed it myself and wore it for 3 years. Best outdoor coat I've ever owned. I left it on a train when pissed and never saw it again. That was 15 years ago, so someone might still be wearing it for all I know!
  12. I inherited one from an uncle when I was about 18 or 19, wore it until I put on too much upper-body mass to fit, then passed it on to my brother in law and my nephew now wears it (or at least stands inside it).

It must be around early- or mid-80s vintage, too. Bloody good value for money, I reckon.
  13. Had one of the first ones,still going. I also have the liner,and hood,always wear it when it gets very white out,weighs a fair bit but very warm.

Also have a couple of pairs of Barbour long shooting socks,from the same purchase,still going,incredibly comfy inside wellies!

You don't want to know how much they cost nowadays. ;-)
  14. I've got a 25 year-old Solway Zipper, with the sleeves that are traditionally a good inch too short for the size and a newer lightweight 'breathable' Barbour complete with large 'Made in Bulgaria' tag.

Great kit and last forever but Barbour are the clothing equivalent to LandRover.