Article about the Det and their beginnings

Many years later I was flying GOC Scotland - nice chap but his name eludes me - when he enquired if I new JR as I was originally PARA myself. I said I new him as a captain in’73 and of course as GOCNI’s bag carrier. He asked me if I was aware of his nick-name in JHQ. Apparently he was known as “two shits”
I can believe it - he certainly 'energised' young Bubbles that day!

Which is why we never bought any.

Edited to add. Apart from Det vehicles and a couple of specials, ALL covert vehicles were issued by the Fleet Manager HQNI. But as a policy unless special requested by HQNI no Land Rover variants were purchased.

a. Because of the bleeding obvious.
b. They were more expensive to buy.
c. Maintenance was problematic in that spares had to be locally procured. Also expensive.

As an aside, vehicle types were monitored against the Province vehicle population types and procured accordingly.
I was involved in a project to replace the armoured Jags. It was felt they stood out a bit and wanted something that might blend in better. I suggested BMW 7 series, as they looked like the 5 series etc. Well volunteered KoR, go get more detail. Essentially you either got cars reverse engineered (IIRC the Jags were made by Penman), or some companies did it in house. You are looking at Level 7, (7.62mm AP resistant), serious stuff. The GVW can be over 3.5t with a lot of the weight in the glass. but I digress...

This is all pre-smartphones. I contact Mercedes-Benz guard, they did the L7 S-class, g wagon and an E class L5 (short weapon resistant basically). They were amazingly cloak and dagger to the point of unhelpfulness, but i get info and quotes.

BMW, totally different. After an hour on the phone they were offering to lend us an L7 & series LWB, currently being tested by folks on the south bank. They had a cancelled order so were willing to to them for £153k each and throw in in-car DVD system. When did we want to come to Germany for a demo? My boss was quite impressed.

In the end MoD went with a solution based on the most prevalent 4x4 in NI at the time; the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon

ABNredleg

War Hero

ABNredleg

War Hero
That was indeed him. Although here's a dit. When he was CATO he was shagging the WUDR wench (allegedly) in HQNI. When challenged by no less the COS HQNI his retort was "It has nothing to do with you". :D:D:D

He made Col and Commanded a CAD.

He also served in the Borneo campaign when with some Cavalry mob. He wasn't originally RAOC. I got on great with him. @HE117 you know who we are talking about n'est ce pas?
That would explain why he always got cross when I wouldn't let him have a car at the w/e for 'special EOD operations'.....

The amount of 'senior' officers that tried to blag a car off me at weekends was ridiculous. None of them got one - more than my life (and career) was worth.

No wah - I’m not familiar with British Army titles.
Neither am I any more, although I did leave the Colours 26 years ago. I came across a brilliant TLA - actually a FLA - today in the Telegraph: 'A2AP'. Sorry, but I've lost the column it was in; apparently it stands for AAAP, which is too long and so was shortened to A2AP. Why they didn't go for A3P, which really is a TLA, I don't know; probably not easier to write or remember.

R SCOTS then, PARA later? Or are you talking about an LI Capt with two Dads? The other PARA you're talking about is presumably Dick Trigger (RIP) he of leather trousers fame...
FFS I am getting old. Brain fart. Rhe incident took place in late 1979 when I was ATO Belfast. He was an R Anglian and Creasy wasn't a man to **** around with. I knew Dick as well.

I was involved in a project to replace the armoured Jags. It was felt they stood out a bit and wanted something that might blend in better. I suggested BMW 7 series, as they looked like the 5 series etc. Well volunteered KoR, go get more detail. Essentially you either got cars reverse engineered (IIRC the Jags were made by Penman), or some companies did it in house. You are looking at Level 7, (7.62mm AP resistant), serious stuff. The GVW can be over 3.5t with a lot of the weight in the glass. but I digress...

This is all pre-smartphones. I contact Mercedes-Benz guard, they did the L7 S-class, g wagon and an E class L5 (short weapon resistant basically). They were amazingly cloak and dagger to the point of unhelpfulness, but i get info and quotes.

BMW, totally different. After an hour on the phone they were offering to lend us an L7 & series LWB, currently being tested by folks on the south bank. They had a cancelled order so were willing to to them for £153k each and throw in in-car DVD system. When did we want to come to Germany for a demo? My boss was quite impressed.

In the end MoD went with a solution based on the most prevalent 4x4 in NI at the time; the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon
I went to that there London to test drive Maggie's armoured Jag in early 1986. All very nice but jolly expensive - I even wrote a short (and very subaltern-like) paper on why I should get loads of them (CATO would have been pleased).

I didn't get any. Far too expensive and not even semi-covert - not too many expensive Jags knocking around the Province in those days.

I seem to remember the Granadas weighing in at around 3 tons or something ridiculous - no uprated brakes, just a more regular service and inspection regime!

Neither am I any more, although I did leave the Colours 26 years ago. I came across a brilliant TLA - actually a FLA - today in the Telegraph: 'A2AP'. Sorry, but I've lost the column it was in; apparently it stands for AAAP, which is too long and so was shortened to A2AP. Why they didn't go for A3P, which really is a TLA, I don't know; probably not easier to write or remember.
A2AP makes more sense than A3P for AAAP. Remember officers have to use these acronyms.

A3P could be construed as either A3 P (AAAP) or A 3P (APPP)

With A2AP, the 2 could refer to the A before OR after the 2, AA AP or A AAP.

I reckon you're over-thinking this. A³P? But then, of course, you're into the World-Wide-Web zone, where the acronym is tiresomely longer to say than the actual words. That one would be good for dropping into a briefing where nobody knows what it means, and you can sneer at the fool who questions it for not being up to date on the latest TLAs. Any idea what AAAP (A2AP)(A3P)(A³P) is?

I reckon you're over-thinking this. A³P? But then, of course, you're into the World-Wide-Web zone, where the acronym is tiresomely longer to say than the actual words. That one would be good for dropping into a briefing where nobody knows what it means, and you can sneer at the fool who questions it for not being up to date on the latest TLAs. Any idea what AAAP (A2AP)(A3P)(A³P) is?
I didn't overthink it, I thought about officers and the way that they think.

Do we know what happened next with that legal challenge?

If I was the judge sitting, it would’ve been a very short decision: no.

Also, do we know if there were two more (hidden) soldiers who perished?
No matter how much the republican propaganda machine wills it to be different, only one man died that day.

Rest in peace Ted, lest we forget

214356271-c62f61b0-850d-457f-866e-a3df2f6c45ef.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads