Article about the Det and their beginnings

What could possibly go wrong. Give a 19 year old soldier (who has only just learned to drive a Series II Landrover) a 2 litre Colt Sigma, a pistol, and civvy clothes and send him off on errands around the province.
Well, I don’t know about other users in the Province but that list was my troop - some armoured saloons, 20 odd non-standards and about the same number of Cavaliers (nobody wanted to drive them!). My blokes were all second or third tours on arrival and the NCOs were all on the BRIXMIS/London/Lisburn circuit. All specially trained (at varying levels obviously) and not a 19 year old to be seen.

Happy days!

Just checked my logbook and RM doesn’t appear during 85/86 starting from Jan 85 the units are

2PARA
1KOSB
3RRF
1BW
1 RAnglian
1SG

Edit: Just checked an older logbook, 42Cdo were there back end of ‘84, handed over to 2PARA.
42 it must have been. It was definitely a Bootie Lt. BTW I have no trouble with the RM. A good friend of mine was a Coy Comd with 40 in XMG. He got blown up and survived.
Edited. 41 not 40.

Last edited:
Talking about cars and RUC, what was it with the pale green or pale blue Cortinas carrying four large gents in car coats?
The non-standard colours were to detract from the extraordinarily heavy tinted glass and surrounds (in black), and the whip antennae. Probably initially a good idea, and people taking potshots at them would find their rounds bouncing back at the firers. Unfortunately, Cortina Mk3s weren't really all that common, were easy to spot approaching, and weren't mine protected to any significant degree. I remember a number of them coming up at auction in the later 90s, but not for me, thanks.

1984-86 to be precise. CATO was always badgering me for an XJ12, sadly the Fleet Manager wouldn’t run to that but did stump up for a 5 Series beemer and a Mazda for us!
Was the CATO M... H? If so he had an ego slightly larger than the orbit of Pluto.

Well, I don’t know about other users in the Province but that list was my troop - some armoured saloons, 20 odd non-standards and about the same number of Cavaliers (nobody wanted to drive them!). My blokes were all second or third tours on arrival and the NCOs were all on the BRIXMIS/London/Lisburn circuit. All specially trained (at varying levels obviously) and not a 19 year old to be seen.

Happy days!
Were you there when the ADC to the GOC activated the Defensive Aids Suite in the car park of the Malone Golf Club. Early/mid 1983. Oh how the GOC laughed!

See a later post. It was late 79.

Last edited:
I sound like the salesman with the with those crispy things to the Emperor.

And Flash Bangs?
And Flash Bangs.

Was the CATO M... H? If so he had an ego slightly larger than the orbit of Pluto.
I think so - curly white hair and a mobile phone handbag, camouflaged M16 and .38 special.
Certainly thought he was special.

Were you there when the ADC to the GOC activated the Defensive Aids Suite in the car park of the Malone Golf Club. Early/mid 1983. Oh how the GOC laughed!
Just before I arrived - would he be the ADC that ended up as a Para 1*?
When I took over the REME celebrated by setting off the smoke generators in one of my cars during a monthly service in a ‘what does this switch do?’ moment.

I think so - curly white hair and a mobile phone handbag, camouflaged M16 and .38 special.
Certainly thought he was special.
That was indeed him. Although here's a dit. When he was CATO he was shagging the WUDR wench (allegedly) in HQNI. When challenged by no less the COS HQNI his retort was "It has nothing to do with you". :D:D:D

He made Col and Commanded a CAD.

He also served in the Borneo campaign when with some Cavalry mob. He wasn't originally RAOC. I got on great with him. @HE117 you know who we are talking about n'est ce pas?

Just before I arrived - would he be the ADC that ended up as a Para 1*?
When I took over the REME celebrated by setting off the smoke generators in one of my cars during a monthly service in a ‘what does this switch do?’ moment.
No mate. He wasn't PARA. However there was a PARA in HQNI at the time who made 1*

GOC in 85/86 (RP) had an ADC PARA LtCol (JR) who made 4*
His predecessor had an ADC who was R SCOTS and later transferred to PARA (P*** G*****). JR was MA to GOC, not ADC.

I know because he gave me 2 hours to get the GOC's car unlocked in central Belfast when everyone had been locked out of it with the keys inside or be on the next shuttle home....

No mate. He wasn't PARA. However there was a PARA in HQNI at the time who made 1*
R SCOTS then, PARA later? Or are you talking about an LI Capt with two Dads? The other PARA you're talking about is presumably Dick Trigger (RIP) he of leather trousers fame...

His predecessor had an ADC who was R SCOTS and later transferred to PARA (P*** G*****). JR was MA to GOC, not ADC.

I know because he gave me 2 hours to get the GOC's car unlocked in central Belfast when everyone had been locked out of it with the keys inside or be on the next shuttle home....
Many years later I was flying GOC Scotland - nice chap but his name eludes me - when he enquired if I new JR as I was originally PARA myself. I said I new him as a captain in’73 and of course as GOCNI’s bag carrier. He asked me if I was aware of his nick-name in JHQ. Apparently he was known as “two shits”