Article 50 Served: And so it Starts.....

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I know, it's ace isn't it? The irony. Splitting from one multi-national union and whoring yourself to an even bigger one for more cash? It'll end in tears.
No it won't. Indian culture has so many benefits and great things to offer us, yet for forty odd years we ignored this jewel and attempted to make friends with Europeans who have contributed nothing to science, arts and technology.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You forgot....

1982 France sells Exocet missiles to Argentina to stick one up to it's old adversary directly leading to the deaths of dozens of UK servicemen.....

And the fcukwits think we should continue to share intelligence with them.....

Let them eat cheese.
(Wasn't there a deal done with the frogs about dealing with Exocets, which the French were happy to help with on the quiet)?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting leak.

Revealed: How the Cabinet plotted to exploit EU’s fear of Vladimir Putin during Brexit talks
Cabinet ministers secretly agreed that Britain should use its security dominance during Brexit talks after identifying EU fears over Vladimir Putin, the Telegraph can reveal. Senior Tories said there was “panic” from EU leaders about the impact the UK’s exit would have on security in the face of "increased Russian aggression".

Leaked minutes of a Brexit cabinet committee meeting on March 7 show ministers identified the UK’s “very strong hand” on defence as a key advantage in negotiations. Those present said security would be a “defining” issue for the EU and that Britain should not “underplay” its hand as it seeks to secure a favourable free trade deal.
Two things to take away from this.
  1. If true, it shows May is prepared to play dirty and not be as spineless as Call Me Dave. I like that - I'd prefer the UK to come out of Brexit with a deal better than the EU. And - providing no lives are actually endangered by a real withholding of intelligence - I'd have no objection to a little discrete throttling back on the volume of intelligence passed over to make the point.
  2. It would be interesting to know how the leak originated. Was it effectively a government sanctioned leak to put pressure on the EU or a leak from a disaffected civil servant opposed to Brexit? Bearing in mind which newspaper the leak appeared in I'd go with the former. If it had been a disaffected civil servant, the minutes would probably have ended up in the Guardian or another newspaper opposed to Brexit.
Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile for comedy value.

'Vote for us and get a three-day weekend': Green Party launches audacious bid for the youth vote
The Green party is making a bid for the youth vote by promising to give everyone a three day weekend if they win power at the next election. The new manifesto pledge for the 2020 general election was announced by the party’s joint leader Caroline Lucas at its annual conference on Friday.

Ms Lucas told delegates in Liverpool that the party was “exploring policies like a three day weekend, and fair pay” in a bid to reach out to young people. She said “for young people in particular, let down by Brexit, the Green message is one of a more hopeful alternative”.
That would explain why the Greens are in coalition with the SNP north of the border. They're in competition to see who can come up with the most economically illiterate policies.

Love this bit.
One aide pointed to a report by the New Economics Foundation thinktank which called for a 21 hour working week, down from the current 40 hour week.
Do the Greens have the remotest idea what halving the working week would do to the UK's economy?

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And summing up after the first few day of article 50, you can discern clear thought processes in May's strategy. Thus far it's been announced:
  • EU laws will be repealed in bulk - the Great Repeal Bill.
  • We are going to get our blue passport (and our national identity) back.
  • We are going to boot out EU nationals who broke UK law without an appeal to the European count
Those policies serve two purposes:
  • First, from a UK perspective, there is nothing particularly controversial about any of those - they'll all go down broadly well with the UK electorate.
  • Secondly, they strike a blow at the heart of the idea of European integration. The UK is visibly taking back control of its laws, its borders and its right to deport undesirables.
Again an excellent long term strategy. Indirectly pointing out to the anti-EU elements within many of the EU countries that there is an alternative to 'ever closer integration' will embolden those elements and put pressure on the EU.

Wordsmith

Spot on Mr. Wordsmith. A good start.

I also like her general policy of ignoring the squeaking of vested interests saying their particular theme MUST be protected whike working quietly with farming and other industries to reassure and listen.

Interesting leak.

Revealed: How the Cabinet plotted to exploit EU’s fear of Vladimir Putin during Brexit talks

Two things to take away from this.
  1. If true, it shows May is prepared to play dirty and not be as spineless as Call Me Dave. I like that - I'd prefer the UK to come out of Brexit with a deal better than the EU. And - providing no lives are actually endangered by a real withholding of intelligence - I'd have no objection to a little discrete throttling back on the volume of intelligence passed over to make the point.
  2. It would be interesting to know how the leak originated. Was it effectively a government sanctioned leak to put pressure on the EU or a leak from a disaffected civil servant opposed to Brexit? Bearing in mind which newspaper the leak appeared in I'd go with the former. If it had been a disaffected civil servant, the minutes would probably have ended up in the Guardian or another newspaper opposed to Brexit.
Wordsmith
A leak which makes TM look strong almost certainly comes from the inside, the vast majority of 'leaks' are releases by SPADS. Fiona Hill and Nick Timothy spring to mind, otherwise I'd be looking in the direction of Raoul Ruparel.

You forgot....

1982 France sells Exocet missiles to Argentina to stick one up to it's old adversary directly leading to the deaths of dozens of UK servicemen.....

Let them eat cheese.
Total and unadulterated pish. Exocets were sold to Johhny Goucho before the war.

Mrs Thatcher always praised President Mitterand for his support during the war and Sir John Nott, defence secretary at the time, has called France the UK’s “greatest ally” during the conflict because it taught them how to sabotage the missiles.

Subscribe to read

Total and unadulterated pish. Exocets were sold to Johhny Goucho before the war.

Mrs Thatcher always praised President Mitterand for his support during the war and Sir John Nott, defence secretary at the time, has called France the UK’s “greatest ally” during the conflict because it taught them how to sabotage the missiles.

Subscribe to read
They were indeed.

Just like sold some frigates to them (hence some RN ships had I stripes).

IIRC the French may have provided technical assistance during the conflict. The Argentines fitted launchers to trailers after we smashed up some of their warships..

You forgot....

Let them eat cheese.
From Report on French Co-operation Falklands 1982
At the start of the conflict, France's left-leaning president, Francois Mitterrand, had come to Britain's aid by declaring an embargo on French arms sales and assistance to Argentina.

He also allowed the Falklands-bound British fleet to use French port facilities in West Africa, as well as providing London with detailed information about planes and weaponry his country had sold to Buenos Aires.

Paris also co-operated with extensive British efforts to stop Argentina acquiring any more Exocets on the world's arms market.

Subscribe to read

No they didn't....

Subscribe to read
So funny.... Papers released in 2012 under the 30 year rule describe something different entirely.

Yes Sir John Nott did say this but it emerged Dassault (51% owned by the French Government) had a team on the ground in Argentina who were able to instrument the repair of 3 faulty missiles which were then used on UK assets.

How France helped both sides in the Falklands War - BBC News

Behind the scenes, actions were speaking louder than words. In what would appear to be a clear breach of President Mitterrand's embargo, a French technical team - mainly working for a company 51% owned by the French government - stayed in Argentina throughout the war.

In an interview carried out in 1982 by Sunday Times journalist Isabel Hilton, the team's leader, Herve Colin, admitted carrying out one particular test that proved invaluable to Argentinian forces.

"The verification process involves determining if the missile launcher was functioning correctly or not. Three of the launchers failed. We located the source of the problem and that was it. The rest was simple."

The BBC made efforts to contact Mr Colin to request an interview, but received no response. The French company he still works for, Dassault, told us that after 30 years that it was unable to confirm whether or not it had authorised the work his team carried out in Argentina at this time.

But it is now clear that, thanks to tests they carried out, the Argentinians were able to fire Exocets at British forces from three previously faulty missile launchers.
You crack on though posting pish to a link most will have to subscribe to read which only displays the part of the story you actually want known.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
And - providing no lives are actually endangered by a real withholding of intelligence - I'd have no objection to a little discrete throttling back on the volume of intelligence passed over to make the point.
If we don't tell them some stuff, they're going to find it difficult to know there's stuff we're not telling them.

So funny.... Papers released in 2012 under the 30 year rule describe something different entirely.

Yes Sir John Nott did say this but it emerged Dassault (51% owned by the French Government) had a team on the ground in Argentina who were able to instrument the repair of 3 faulty missiles which were then used on UK assets.

How France helped both sides in the Falklands War - BBC News

You crack on though posting pish to a link most will have to subscribe to read which only displays the part of the story you actually want known.
You mean exactly like you're doing with just the bit that you want known?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Spot on Mr. Wordsmith. A good start.

I also like her general policy of ignoring the squeaking of vested interests saying their particular theme MUST be protected whike working quietly with farming and other industries to reassure and listen.
I suspect May is in the process of redefining how politics works. Unlike Call Me Dave she doesn't feel compelled to make five public pronouncements a day, confining her statements to when they're necessary. As such, on the relatively few occasions she makes a statement, it carries real weight. In short, she is behaving like a Prime Minister with gravitas.

Secondly, by largely eschewing spin, she is moving politics back to where politicians are judged by their results and not by their incessant yapping to the media. That puts politicians who can only incessantly yap (waves at Corbyn, Farron and Sturgeon) at a big disadvantage. They now have to come up with coherent policies and articulate them.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If we don't tell them some stuff, they're going to find it difficult to know there's stuff we're not telling them.
If - hypothetically - they receive 100 pages a day of intelligence on average and it slowly falls away to 70, including far less intelligence on Putin and domestic events in Russia, I think they might notice...

Wordsmith

You mean exactly like you're doing with just the bit that you want known?
If you had bothered to look instead of spouting pish you would have seen this was a BBC page and as such the whole article was visible without subscription.

FT.JPG

Unlike @Graculus page which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot......

Expect their pissed off at the response they got re Gib..... The fact they go after the fragrant Nicola is a bonus for us.....