Article 50 Served: And so it Starts.....

That's lovely.

Tell you what, why don't I stick your post to the fridge door, right where I can see it? That way, I can look at it every time I go past, can't I?
I know, it's ace isn't it? The irony. Splitting from one multi-national union and whoring yourself to an even bigger one for more cash? It'll end in tears.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
IMG_0423.JPG
It's funny how many Muppets think that the EU has secured peace in Europe since 1945.

You've got to hand it to the EU, they're self propaganda is up there with Goebbels.

Is there anything that the feeble minded won't believe about the EU?

Or is it our fault for raising a generation of snowflake halfwits via our education and social systems?
No you're right social and economic co operation across Europe and beyond did nothing to foster good relations over the last lot of years.
The reason was of course that everyone knows that war is not healthy for children and living things.
And that's what did it they took their entire economic and social programme from a 70s poster.

One of my principal objections to Scots Nationalism is that it assumes that Southerners represent entirely England/Wales and Northern Ireland.

They don't.
No, but they do dominate policy thinking for the UK. It's the most densely-populated region and contains a high proportion of economic activity.

I don't, for example, think that Scotland's problems within the UK are unique to Scotland, nor are they caused by obscene machinations from down south. They're caused by policies that are not geared towards the social and economic needs of places like Scotland, including Wales and many parts of Northern and Western England.

The difference in my mind is that we already have the bases for a separate nation and have had for the entire existence of the Union - our legal system, education, local government structure, even the relationship between country and Head of State and sense of self are distinct. We're better placed than any other part of the UK to go it alone.

I don't, for example, think that Scotland's problems within the UK are unique to Scotland, nor are they caused by obscene machinations from down south. They're caused by policies that are not geared towards the social and economic needs of places like Scotland, including Wales and many parts of Northern and Western England.
If only you could have your own parliament to ensure that policies were geared towards the social and economic needs of Scotland...

We could call it 'The Scottish Parliament' and the Scots could vote one which half wits they wanted in it. It would augment the Scottish MPs in Westminster.

List of devolved and reserved powers
Devolved Powers
  • Health
  • Education
  • Local Government
  • Law
  • Social Work and Housing
  • Economic Development and Transport
  • The Environment
  • Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
  • Sport and the Arts
Reserved Powers
  • The constitution
  • Defence and National Security
  • Foreign Policy
  • Immigration
  • UK fiscal and monetary policy
  • Employment Legislation
  • Social Security
  • Transport and safety regulation
  • Nuclear energy
  • Broadcasting
BBC - Intermediate 2 Bitesize Modern Studies - Devolved and Reserved Powers : Revision

If only you could have your own parliament to ensure that policies were geared towards the social and economic needs of Scotland without e.g. trade and other external aspects of the economy being lumped into a one-size-fits-some agreement by the national government.
I'm sure you accidentally hit 'Post Reply' before finishing.

Are you really buying the Sturgeon lie?
Honestly?
Brexit campaigners found from Scottish Indy ref 1 that the people will suck up lies, the SNP told gazillions. The SNP have found from Brexit and Trump that they can tell bigger and more outrageous lies as long as they target it properly. See the Cummings statements about their campaign.

It doesn't matter if you win, you just keep screaming 'fake news' or similar.

If so may bought the £350 million lie why shouldn't Sturgeon do the same?

No, but they do dominate policy thinking for the UK. It's the most densely-populated region and contains a high proportion of economic activity.

The difference in my mind is that we already have the bases for a separate nation and have had for the entire existence of the Union - our legal system, education, local government structure, even the relationship between country and Head of State and sense of self are distinct. We're better placed than any other part of the UK to go it alone.
Plaid Cymru have a similar argument, you could even argue Mebyon Kernow do, its probably best we don't go down the Sinn Fein debate.....
Or we could embrace the Celtic League's ideas on the subject

I was born and raised in the borders, as was every member of my family as far back as we have records.
I'm British, not English. My perspective is probably different to many on here.

Despite my hypocrisy (Brexit v Scots Independence) I would much rather the Union remained as it is

I'm sure the Scots'll be fine. After all, the Irish have managed well enough with an economy based on stout and clog dancing!

It wasn't a lie. Nobody with more than two brain cells thought that £350 million was going to be sunk in to the NHS.
So if someone tells a deliberate untruth, that's not a lie if only stupid people believe it?

You're quite right. That's not a lie, by the way.

'Especially after the Shetlanders and Orcadians went independent and joined the UK again.'

I understand that they would prefer to join Norway. It being nearer, more sensible everything.

I understand that they would prefer to join Norway. It being nearer, more sensible everything.
The Norwegians have a government whose track record demonstrates better custodianship of the sort of natural resources Orkney and Shetland rely on than the UK government has. I can see entirely why it would be attractive.

Where you terribly traumatised when you found out the Lotterys 'It could be you' wasn't you?
Are you confused as to the difference between 'could' and 'will definitely'? I'm not.

Really... 70 years takes us back to 1947 a whole year before the Berlin Airlift (RAF and USAF as I recall)

1951 - ECSC European Steel and Coal Community arrives - they faced down the USSR or was it NATO?

1957 - EEC Treaty of Rome etc - they faced down the USSR or was it NATO?

1973 - UK joins EEC - any change in the above?

1989 - Berlin Wall Falls - Thank You NATO

1991 - Gulfy Thing (not to worry they weren't playing

1993 - Mastricht Treaty - EEC transformed into the EC under the EU (any thanks to NATO?)

2003 - Second Gulfy Thing

2009 - Lisbon Treaty - The current mess we're in, and a vote on that, or maybe not!!

Maybe you should contemplate how strongly we may feel about providing the security that the EU has claimed as their own. I shivered for 15 years on the IGB together with thousands of others in NATO.

Hearing now that the EU which has existed for 24 years has given us 70 years of peace is remarkable.

JB
You forgot....

1982 France provides Exocet missiles technology to Argentina to stick one up to it's old adversary directly leading to the deaths of dozens of UK servicemen.....

And the fcukwits think we should continue to share intelligence with them.....

Let them eat cheese.

Last edited:
It wasn't a lie. Nobody with more than two brain cells thought that £350 million was going to be sunk in to the NHS. It doesn't need it for a start.
It was a bit of disinformation, a lie by any other description. There were lies by both sides, it's what politicians do.

The official bill of EU membership is £350 million per week – let’s spend our money on our priorities like the NHS instead.’ (Sometimes we said ‘we send the EU £350m’ to provoke people into argument. This worked much better than I thought it would. There is no single definitive figure because there are different sets of official figures but the Treasury gross figure is slightly more than £350m of which we get back roughly half, though some of this is spent in absurd ways like subsidies for very rich landowners to do stupid things.)

You'd best correct the architect of the campaign about what people thought then, someone who I admire for his competence and the single minded pursuit of his aims. Doubt we'd get on over a pint.

Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No.

Dominic Cummings: how the Brexit referendum was won | Coffee House

You're actually missing the point and proving it at the same time. I'm not arguing against the result or how it was achieved, I'm telling you why SNP gross lies and disinformation may work. People will flat out refuse to believe that they've been misled even when it's there in front of them, because it's something that they want to believe.

As much as I'd be happy if the helmet's pants spontaneously combusted on live TV I can't for the life of me see why anyone would accuse a poster who supports the idea of Scottish independence as being taken in by SNP lies.