Article 24 of the WTO treaty.

D

Deleted 158059

This keeps popping up as a magic bullet that allows the UK to revert to 'WTO rules' whilst retaining our current trade agreements we enjoy as an EU member for up to 10 years by leave advocates.

It seems worth its own thread since the implications if the above assertion is true are significant, and utterly ruinous if they turn out to be untrue.

The commons library seems to indicate that the UK cannot simply decide to continue with its current trade deals unilaterally, and agreement with the EU and other WTO members is required.

No-deal Brexit and WTO: Article 24 explained

I strongly suspect that the Article 24 argument put forth by the leading leave figures is yet more snake oil for the converted to latch onto in the game of ever moving goal posts, but I'm open to having my mind changed.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I begin to understand why so many people have you on ignore.

+1

welcome to an ignore list of one. Impressive.

Last edited:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Whats the problem with the UK setting up a trading bloc? We would have trade free tariffs with the USA, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, India, every country in Europe and Easter Island. That is our new 'trading bloc' and we are therefore operating under exactly the same conditions as the EU. Nobody gets preferential treatment. It's all tariff free.

I strongly suspect that the Article 24 argument put forth by the leading leave figures is yet more snake oil for the converted to latch onto
Can I just point out that snake oil was an effective traditional Chinese medication, and was falsely bad-mouthed by duplicitous hawkers peddling their own "patent" medicines which generally were inefficacious and sometimes injurious.

Can I just point out that snake oil was an effective traditional Chinese medication, and was falsely bad-mouthed by duplicitous hawkers peddling their own "patent" medicines which generally were inefficacious and sometimes injurious.

D

Deleted 158059

Whats the problem with the UK setting up a trading bloc? We would have trade free tariffs with the USA, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, India, every country in Europe and Easter Island. That is our new 'trading bloc' and we are therefore operating under exactly the same conditions as the EU. Nobody gets preferential treatment. It's all tariff free.
The other countries don't have to reciprocate, and therefore can undercut UK business, by leaving tariffs against the UK in place.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
The other countries don't have to reciprocate, and therefore can undercut UK business, by leaving tariffs against the UK in place.
Other countries will of course reciprocate, free trade is a brilliant way to run an economy, why would they not? If push came to shove we wouldn't deal with them, we'd bin them from our 'bloc' and invite another country in that is interested in a two way free tariff.

This keeps popping up as a magic bullet that allows the UK to revert to 'WTO rules' whilst retaining our current trade agreements we enjoy as an EU member for up to 10 years by leave advocates.

It seems worth its own thread since the implications if the above assertion is true are significant, and utterly ruinous if they turn out to be untrue.

The commons library seems to indicate that the UK cannot simply decide to continue with its current trade deals unilaterally, and agreement with the EU and other WTO members is required.

No-deal Brexit and WTO: Article 24 explained

I strongly suspect that the Article 24 argument put forth by the leading leave figures is yet more snake oil for the converted to latch onto in the game of ever moving goal posts, but I'm open to having my mind changed.
How do non EU Countries trade? How do they not only survive, but thrive?

How do non EU Countries trade? How do they not only survive, but thrive?
there are countries that can manage without being in the EU?

But, but....

rifleair

War Hero
From your link the WTO allows full or interim agreements, interim agreements have more stringent conditions set which has pushed countries into foregoing an interim in favour of a full agreement until their negotiations are concluded.

"Article XXIV (5) of GATT permits countries to form trade blocs in the form of a customs union or a free trade area and thereby makes an exception to the MFN rule. They may (indeed must) maintain tariff-free trade with each other for “substantially all” their mutual trade, without offering the same access to their markets to all other WTO members.

Any free trade arrangement, however, may not worsen the terms of trade for the non-participants, and lead to higher duties or more restrictions on trade than before. Therefore any customs union or free trade agreement has to be notified to the WTO, giving other WTO members the opportunity to air their concerns."

This would suggest that a free trade agreement could be set in place immediately when we leave. Providing of course that both nations wish it.

"Medicinal compound" was most efficacious.

Latest Threads