Arthur Labinjo-Hughes - How do we stop child abuse / neglect in the UK?

How do we stop child abuse / neglect in the UK?

• Stop foreign aid spend, put the money back into UK education, health, social services, etc

Votes: 65 69.1%
  • Anyone wanting to be a parent needs to pass a mandatory training and education course in parenting

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • People with drug / alcohol addictions are prohibited from having a child

Votes: 60 63.8%
  • People with criminal records of 'high tariff' crimes are prohibited from having a child

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Raise taxes to increase spend to education, health, social services, etc

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • A mentor for every child - every child has a mentor until they are 18 as a point of support etc

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

endure

GCM
Just because it doesnt deter some people doesnt mean that it doesnt deter others.
I see you're being argumentative for the sake of it yet again. Don't you tire of being a controversial ******** occasionally?

I see you're being argumentative for the sake of it yet again. Don't you tire of being a controversial ******** occasionally?

How is it argumentative to point out the ******* obvious?

Maybe we should do away with prison, community service and fines, because clearly they arent any deterrent as people continue to commit crime :roll:

That’s why I specified judicial corporal punishment. Administration of the beating should be controlled, with neutral observers plus a medic in attendance, and no more than six at a time - although the tariff could be for far more, spread over time.
I would suggest, for instance, carrying an illegal blade means an automatic six on first offence.

Couldn't agree more.

In addition - I would impose an automatic tariff of an additional six ' if I find you brought before this Court again on similar Charges' - to be carried out immediately prior to the hearing.
I would take the responsibility away from Schools ( in the case of children ) - place it in the Judicial system as you said.
I also was caned twice - both times deserved as I knew the rules and potential consequences but chose to 'do it anyway'.
( Co- conspirators on one occasion included a future CO RM Lympstone and a CO Para - so no spirit was broken by this event )

I would legalise drug use ( controlled by the State ) . You can have as much cocaine, heroin etc as you like - for free. But you lose your children - your choice.

I would hang all illegal drug dealers .

I would enable Courts to offer certain types of offenders a reduced Sentence if they opt for sterilization ( you know, the snip ) prior to release.

I wonder what effect these ideas would have on future crime statistics ?

Grandparents are routinely a decent bunch and where a mother is sent to prison I think the SocialServices should not have a policy of the father being the first port of call.
They do there damndest not to put mothers in prison - detrimental to the child - but no such qualms viz fathers

As for father being st point of call Im not sure they do have such a policy - but thank you for perpetating the men dont make good care givers myth - that ensures Mothers are the automatic choice for child custody and that the system does its damndest not to admit this may have been a mistake.

And before you spout it We are all well aware that nothing written in law discriminates against fathers in family court - weve all seen the labour commissioned report and we all say the same now as we said then and what we said before the white wash report was started - Men are treated differrently the System presumes women better the law is not applied fairly.

From work, I've experience of this sort of case in a court setting. Off topic a bit, virtually all the cases I have seen involve working class families. I wonder/suspect (but can't prove) that much of the harming of children in middle class families goes unreported - the perpetrators are better able to conceal the harm, or that people who might suspect harm are not 'programmed' to, for example, think that a well off, professional, person might be harming a child. People in, for example, a school or medical setting are more comfortable accepting that a working class family that fits their perception of 'troubled' might be a setting for such harm.
Or could there be a corrolation between lower intelligence and or poverty and neglect (as there is with crime) - which constitutes the bulk of child abuse as such most cases would fall into this demographic.

It certainly wouldnt suprise me to be the case.

Thats put forth as an observation / postulation - any slightly sarcastic otherwise obnoxious undertone is unintended - ive rewritten it several times over the last day or and still feel it comes accross as such

But it may prevent the death of the next abused child as the perpetrator will have the thought of the penalty if they get caught on their mind, it is really something that should seriously be considered.
I disagree, Arguments about the efficacity of detterent value aside, I cannot see it of being any value in cases of child abuse particuarly where its neglect rather than deliberate abuse - since the childs death is seldom if ever intended.

Then youve thing such as feeding the child soap / salt as punishment - Children have died because the mother forced them to eat salt as punishment for swearing thinking it was better than the age old washing their mouth out with fairy liquid. Where theres no pattern of other abuse this person is more guilty of being thicker than 2 short planks and lacking common sense than they are of deliberate abuse - (@Red Hander - re my point viz intellect)

Couldn't agree more.

In addition - I would impose an automatic tariff of an additional six ' if I find you brought before this Court again on similar Charges' - to be carried out immediately prior to the hearing.
I thought the same thing ref penalty for recividism.

Or could there be a corrolation between lower intelligence and or poverty and neglect (as there is with crime) - which constitutes the bulk of child abuse as such most cases would fall into this demographic.

It certainly wouldnt suprise me to be the case.

Thats put forth as an observation / postulation - any slightly sarcastic otherwise obnoxious undertone is unintended - ive rewritten it several times over the last day or and still feel it comes accross as such
Point taken and you are probably, generally, correct. I have seen cases of neglect where the parents didn't know (or didn't work out) that children need to be washed, or their nappies changed. It just hadn't occurred to them. Such cases generally are from deprived areas and involve parents who are not intelligent. As you've mentioned elsewhere, ignorance of childcare is a major factor in neglect as opposed to there being any ill intent in the part of parents. Local authority intervention is often at the level of coaching parents about basic things like washing, cleaning teeth, what to feed a child, etc.
As you said, it is hard to discuss the subject so that comment isn't intended to imply that living in a deprived area means you can't raise children. The vast majority of parents from all backgrounds and areas raise their children well.

Just based on the cases I have seen, I can recall only one case where middle class parents were in court in connection with care proceedings (they were opposing Council plans to take their children into care). I have a suspicion that there must be more cases of neglect/abuse in middle class families because it cannot logically be the case that there are almost none, which is the impression you'd get if you looked at court cases.

To talk about the most well-known case where class was possibly a factor in how the parents were treated (and to avoid talking about specific court cases) you can consider the Madeline McCann case. Make the scenario the same but the parents working class and perhaps less eloquent, and less 'nice' and the other children end up in the local authority care system. The parents being professional people made a big difference to their treatment.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Grandparents are routinely a decent bunch and where a mother is sent to prison I think the SocialServices should not have a policy of the father being the first port of call.
According to a Scotyish relative of mine, a Senior Social Worker in Child Protection, Grandparents are often the root of the problem and putting an abused child with them merely changes the abuser...

Not true. You’ll be surprised what you can endure when you have no other choice but to endure it.

It's not true that psychopaths have higher than average pain thresholds and enormous willpower?

I think all the evidence suggests that they do.

As to more normal people being able to endure pain - that was pretty much the point of my post.

Couldn't agree more.

I would take the responsibility away from Schools ( in the case of children ) - place it in the Judicial system as you said.
I also was caned twice - both times deserved as I knew the rules and potential consequences but chose to 'do it anyway'.
( Co- conspirators on one occasion included a future CO RM Lympstone and a CO Para - so no spirit was broken by this event )

I would legalise drug use ( controlled by the State ) . You can have as much cocaine, heroin etc as you like - for free. But you lose your children - your choice.

I would hang all illegal drug dealers .

I would enable Courts to offer certain types of offenders a reduced Sentence if they opt for sterilization ( you know, the snip ) prior to release.

I wonder what effect these ideas would have on future crime statistics ?
Nil. The answer lies in an educated, experience and well staffed social services.

Diogenes' limp

War Hero
As per the thread title the comments and focus is on prevention in general. It is worth bearing in mind that in the specific case at hand, the abuse was targeted at one child where there were others of different parentage mix in the same house who were, from the very limited information given, apparently being cared for to a reasonable standard.

Which underpins the horror and revulsion expressed, apparently, this pair knew better, they chose to deliberately target one small child for 'special' treatment and knew precisely what they were doing. There is no excusing that.

But, if you were a social worker called to the house to check because concerns had been expressed, which children would you have been shown?

Nothing undermines the debate, but statistically maybe this case falls into a very small group, at least in this country that people love to denigrate so much, in some other cultures, maybe not so much.

I am haunted by the short video clip of the poor little lad, on his own, saying that no body loves him. Heartbreaking.

God bless you, Arthur, you didn’t deserve any of this and were appallingly let down by adults. I am so sorry.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Is this the worse story of a child cruely murdered and treated by his parents?
Some of the stuff he went through brought a lump to my throat, evil isn’t the word for these two and I sincerely hope the bastards suffer every single day for the remainder of their stinking existence. Not a lot else to say really.

RIP lad your suffering is over.

I am haunted by the short video clip of the poor little lad, on his own, saying that no body loves him. Heartbreaking.

God bless you, Arthur, you didn’t deserve any of this and were appallingly let down by adults. I am so sorry.
Giving you a like for this doesn't seem apt, but I agree with the sentiment. Poor little tyke.

To talk about the most well-known case where class was possibly a factor in how the parents were treated (and to avoid talking about specific court cases) you can consider the Madeline McCann case. Make the scenario the same but the parents working class and perhaps less eloquent, and less 'nice' and the other children end up in the local authority care system. The parents being professional people made a big difference to their treatment.
You are beginning to sound like Bugsy before he goes off on one about class warfare.
This thread is about a kid who was tortured to death by his working class (or chav) parents and social services/police did **** all about it until it was to late.
There are numerous other examples of shit parents who arent middle class killing their kids and the authorities doing nothing until the death.

I suspect not very long, and not very naturally,......... hopefully.
I would rather those people have a crushing realisation of what it is they've done and given decades to suffer the guilt.

I doubt that they have the self-awareness but you never know.

Latest Threads