Arthur Labinjo-Hughes - How do we stop child abuse / neglect in the UK?

How do we stop child abuse / neglect in the UK?

• Stop foreign aid spend, put the money back into UK education, health, social services, etc

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Anyone wanting to be a parent needs to pass a mandatory training and education course in parenting

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • People with drug / alcohol addictions are prohibited from having a child

Votes: 64 64.6%
  • People with criminal records of 'high tariff' crimes are prohibited from having a child

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • Raise taxes to increase spend to education, health, social services, etc

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • A mentor for every child - every child has a mentor until they are 18 as a point of support etc

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
I know it's the Daily Mail but it illustrates the story of the murder of baby Teddi, part one shown on C4 tonight on 24 hours in police custody. I hope he doesn't ever come out upright, the 'mother' as well.

Again, Radio 4. I had to rip the car off the road to start phoning them as I was frothing at the mouth so much from Any Questions / Any Answers.

Most of us will have read and know of the horror of what happened to Arthur.

My question is this:

How do we stop it from happening? How do we make this country more like the civilised western country it's meant to be and less like a ******* third world shithole?

Child abuse is quite common. That's because definitions have changed and it can be mental, physical, sexual, emotional, etc. From not washing them, not feeding them, to exposure to drugs in the home or aggression and violence (observing domestic abuse, etc), to lack of engagement from the parents (younger generation sat playing on their phone rather than spending time with their child).

I've gone into hundreds of homes where I've seen varying degrees of neglect or abuse. I was once told by a social worker that I'd got out to a house as I had concerns that, "It's okay, this is the average for the area and there's food in the cupboard" as the toddler walked by without a nappy on a floor covered in dog piss and shit, rooms pretty much upside down and the mum of 19 with the brother in the bedroom spaced out his face.

My view on it is fairly simple - some people can't figure out how to drive a car, some people can't figure out how to plaster a wall (hi!) and some people can't figure out how to raise a child, nor perhaps did they ever want to in the first place.

So what do we do? What are the solutions?

Radio 4 are fairly fannying about the idea that some people are just evil, or capable of badness, which is a shame because that's the truth of it. Quentin Letts said that this situation is abnormal, which it isn't - the outcome is but not the journey to it, but it shows a reluctance on the part of many people to face reality.

Of course, two or three weeks and it'll be forgot about, but nothing new there.

I've put a few ideas below, but feel free to add your own. In terms of people being prohibited from having children, the obvious comeback is 'human rights' - but to that I say, what about the human rights of a child being born into a family and not to have to suffer physical abuse, sexual abuse, mental abuse or emotional abuse and to live and be brought up in a loving and safe environment?

Yeah, not many liberal types seem to give a **** about what the child wants, eh?

ETA: This is based on the ideal that we -could- stop it..sad truth is, we can't.
Simply take all children away from their parents and place them in government camps where they will be safe

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Simply take all children away from their parents and place them in government camps where they will be safe

We already do that, with several thousand children in Residential Care Homes across the UK up to the age of 16.

Unfortunately all that happens is their exposure to crime increases due to the drugs, sexual issues and violence that goes on in those places.

Getting off my arse, and looking around at the state of society.
No collegiate theory needed.
And having seen some pretty nasty killings in my time.
So I tend to be a bit mediaeval in my viewpoints re crime and punishment.
Sorry if that offends you, sweetie.
Tell me again what to do with the 6 blokes who gang raped a 2 year old, because it will cure them of AIDS?
Kill the cnuts and slowly and very painfully.

We already do that, with several thousand children in Residential Care Homes across the UK up to the age of 16.

Unfortunately all that happens is their exposure to crime increases due to the drugs, sexual issues and violence that goes on in those places.
Unfortunately in the early '80's I met 2 young teenager girls who voluntarily put themselves into care home via the police as being safer than staying at home.
Different situations but at least they took control of their lives as best they can. They were also fully aware of the risks they were taking.
I don't know the final outcome but I did meet them a year later (in both cases) and both were happier.

Slight thread drift though I was thinking how much I typically loathe children's social workers or rather specifically their actual lack of direct experience caring for CYP. I feel as part of their 4 year period at university to become one, this should include a 2-3 month stint in a residential or secure unit working directly with children and young people placed into care. Having direct experience of service users' behaviours in such environments would help them to appreciate first hand how shitty parenting/ lack of consistent parenting moulds the end products you find in such establishments.

Indeed. I have numerous former colleagues scattered around the residential care industry across Scotland. These establishments are by and large a joke specifically in their aim to protect young adolescents against recidivism. You pay 2-3 grand/ week for a residential placement or 6 grand plus for a secure placement for a 3-9 month period only to return the young person back to the environment where such antisocial and pro-criminal behaviours were allowed to manifest.

I've mentioned this several times on similarly themed threads though earlier intervention is the key or at least a better solution, identifying at risk/ vulnerable children before they become teenagers (i.e. more receptive to pro-social role modelling/ intervention work) and not returning them to the people/ home towns that enabled them to become what they are in the first place.

Indeed. I have numerous former colleagues scattered around the residential care industry across Scotland. These establishments are by and large a joke specifically in their aim to protect young adolescents against recidivism. You pay 2-3 grand/ week for a residential placement or 6 grand plus for a secure placement for a 3-9 month period only to return the young person back to the environment where such antisocial and pro-criminal behaviours were allowed to manifest.

I've mentioned this several times on similarly themed threads though earlier intervention is the key or at least a better solution, identifying at risk/ vulnerable children before they become teenagers (i.e. more receptive to pro-social role modelling/ intervention work) and not returning them to the people/ home towns that enabled them to become what they are in the first place.
I've mentioned this before.
Connor cruise O'Brian did a 3 part series on the hippy culture of free love end of 1966ish in the Observer.
His final comment was, 'It is not these children or their children who will suffer the most from this but their grandchildren'.
He was right.
I am not saying all these problems did not happen before, but they seem to be much more common and less likely to be dealt with properly.
Having said that I would not want to be a social worker today.

I've mentioned this before.
Connor cruise O'Brian did a 3 part series on the hippy culture of free love end of 1966ish in the Observer.
His final comment was, 'It is not these children or their children who will suffer the most from this but their grandchildren'.
He was right.
I am not saying all these problems did not happen before, but they seem to be much more common and less likely to be dealt with properly.
When would you have wanted to be a social worker? We didn't hear much about them in the 50's and 60's when I was a kid.

Different values then though weren't they?

My niece and her boyfriend (who then went on to be her husband) were both social workers... young, perhaps a bit naive as they thought they could help change the world before they realised there was a system designed to break THEM down before doing anything for families, hearts of gold, the absolutely nicest couple you could imagine, dedicated and completely tireless in the work they did with trying to manage some truly truly awful 'client families'...

At the time they were trying for kids of their own without success and going through several (expensive) rounds of IVF.... which was even more sickening for them when they were desperate for kids but were dealing with pondlife who didn't give a flying fox for their own multiple brood...

It tore them apart. They are now divorced and neither works as social workers any more.... Saved them paying any more on IVF I s'pose... It's a bloody thankless job being a social worker

My niece and her boyfriend (who then went on to be her husband) were both social workers... young, perhaps a bit naive as they thought they could help change the world before they realised there was a system designed to break THEM down before doing anything for families, hearts of gold, the absolutely nicest couple you could imagine, dedicated and completely tireless in the work they did with trying to manage some truly truly awful 'client families'...

At the time they were trying for kids of their own without success and going through several (expensive) rounds of IVF.... which was even more sickening for them when they were desperate for kids but were dealing with pondlife who didn't give a flying fox for their own multiple brood...

It tore them apart. They are now divorced and neither works as social workers any more.... Saved them paying any more on IVF I s'pose... It's a bloody thankless job being a social worker
You get an informative because i cannot think of anything else.
The only social worker I have met would have happily worked for Hitler.

I think right from the start there you've made it clear they weren't suitable to be social workers.

Latest Threads