Arthur Adams KOSB Arnhem Vet RIP

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by POGscribbler, Oct 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ADAMS Arthur Richard. Passed away at home aged 88 years on October 6th 2009. Greatly missed by all his family. He was proud to be an Arnhem Veteran, serving as a Lance Corporal , 7th (Seventh) Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers. He was brave all his life - First as a soldier and then latterly battling illness. "The Bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, Glory and danger alike, and yet not withstanding go out and meet it".

Attended Arthur's funeral (I didn't know him, but had read about his exploits in Veterans' Voices by Caroline Freeman-Cuerden ) as it was only at the end of the road and I thought I would stick my blazer and tie and go and show my respects to one of the last Arnhem Vets in the midlands.

My fathers uncle was killed as a glider pilot at Arnhem and so it was good to take a moment to reflect on that too

Attached Files:

2. His beret hadnt changed much over the years. God bless and rest you old chap!
  3. Rest In Peace Brave Borderer and Airborne Soldier.

What an outstanding unit 7th (Galloway) (Airborne)Bn King's Own Scottish Borderers was. Sadly not too many of that fine unit left now.

4. Hero. RIP.
  5. a good TA battalion, 7th KOSB became glider-borne troops with the 1st Airborne Division, and in September 1944 they were flown into the dropping zones at Arnhem, where, surrounded by an enemy force superior in numbers and equipped with tanks, they fought a gallant but ultimately futile action. When the order to retreat was given on 25th September, the 740 strong Battalion had been reduced to 4 Officers and 72 men.
  6. Would have been interesting to find out how he ended up in the KOSB...long way from home RIp