Art my arrse

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DontMentionTheWar, Nov 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If we all recall the thread previously about the performance art piece "dead soldier" by the twunt McGowan I've finally had a response from the ArtsCouncil.

Text below...

Dear Dr. DontMentionTheWar:

Thank you for your email.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain the background to the commissioning of Mark McGowan's work. The work was commissioned by the International Project Space, a contemporary arts venue in Birmingham, known for developing and programming high quality visual arts activity for audiences across the region. The Arts Council awarded a grant to International Project Space to part fund a programme of arts activity from September 2006 to August 2007, enabling the gallery to continue its work in developing new audiences for contemporary art. Mark McGowan's current performance and exhibition are part of that programme.

I can assure you when making any funding decision the Arts Council does not intend to cause any offence. However, I do understand that Mr McGowan's performance has aroused strong feelings among some people.

Part of the role of art is to challenge and provoke debate. In this instance the artist himself has stated that his work is meant to be provocative and is aimed at making people think about current international events. In allocating our resources the Arts Council must be careful not to stifle or censor artistic activity which seeks to engage audiences with important and difficult issues such as these.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Hewitt

Peter Hewitt
    Chief Executive
    Arts Council England, National Office
    Direct Line +44 (0)207 973 6575
    Fax +44 (0)207 973 6584
  2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Would it be art if we had him shot by the New York Police, I have spare rounds if they need them. Surely this would challenge and povoke debate.

3. Whilst I agree it was distasteful, disgusting and particularly poorly timed, imagine the uproar from the arts community if this fellow were denied funding for fears of causing offense to some members of the community. It's not the funders fault. The blame lies with the artist for poor judgement and a lack of understanding that what he did was pointless and stupid.

I would not like to live in a country where people were denied from expressing themselves in whatever form, so long as they accept that offense can be caused, and it's their responibility to exercise that privilage with due consideration for the feelings of others.
  4. I think the main out cry was that the artist got £4k for his performance art but did little, if any, research into the subject matter and spent next to nothing on his costume or advertising - a torn bit of cardboard with some spider writing over it stating it was a "performance art".
  5. If he had gone for a full walt effect at least you would realise what he was trying to do.As it is he looked like a dosser.
  6. I don't think he would have won approval from anyone on here no matter how he dressed.
  7. Mark McGowans world is a very very odd one. Check out his past performances at:-

Nailing his own feet to a gallery wall, and pushing parcelled up old ladies into ponds is pretty edgy stuff.
  8. For what it's worth, he didn't see fit to reply to my e-mail to him.
  9. You want to come drinking with my Bowls team!
  10. I can well believe it Dilfor, crown green is the oft overlooked ba$tard offspring of extreme sports and rampant nuttiness. I'll bet some days you even have a second pint! 8O :wink:
  11. Right, if any arrser's had £4k to spend on high lighting the fact service men and women are being killed over seas how would you do it?
    Remember Think Art!
  12. I'm impressed,

A perfect display of me after last years Squadron Xmas bunfight..... well except for the hat
  13. Airship, flying over Westminster.
  14. Airship Borne Improvised Explosive Device, flying into Westminster.
  15. A Giant mobile Cenotaph , with Blair's *cough* 'creative interpretations' *uncough* on one face, and a list of our fallen on the others. Said edifice to tour all major cities in the UK , and parked up each evening with 4 uniformed figures on each corner in silent vigil , whilst a collection is encouraged for RBL, BLESMA and St. Dunstans.