Arsse identification

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MrWhippy, May 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon gents,

Apologies for my first post being a little bit like a begging letter, but im afraid I need some help.

A friend of mine has recently had a bit of hard luck, what with the economy and all, and has been doing a bit of clearing out and selling off. Whilst digging through some inherited items he came across this piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, he is sure its authentic as it was in a box gaffer taped up with "fragile" "keep" "important" that kind of thing written all over it.

So to cut a long story short, I have been asked to help him try to identify this broach with a view to putting a realistic value on it (so he doesnt get ripped off) which is, I hope, where you fine gentlemen come in! Any information that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

P.S great site, the naafi bar had me in complete stitches and cernunnos is god!

2. Dont know anything about the broach, but you will have a long life a good job and two children (if your palm is anything to go by)

3. That looks like a US emblem, talons holding the arrows and whatever the weed is :). The E.S at the top, just thinking the first letter may stand for Expeditionary?

Jim

I got it!! Eagle Squadron, Septic squadron in the Battle of Britain, the St Edwards crown on top of the eagle, anyone?

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It is septic.

Not Eagle Sqn though.

http://www.duxford-wing.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=87

5. Strangely enough, I can't find a single reference to that motto on Google. The crown looks decidedly un-American though...

6. Just Googled Eagle Squadron, here is their patch.

Jim

7. This could be a brooch which somebody from the Squadron got made as a present, well it does look like a brooch.

Jim

8. Doesn't explain the strange "we return on wings" bit though...

9. Yes understand, it could be personal though, anyway nice to crack it, brings a bit of history to life :).

Jim

10. Its probably a "sweetheart badge" or some kind of reunion souvenir - hence the new motto in place of one of the former squadron mottos.

11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Having just finished reading a book about the Squadron, this interested me enough to do as Blogg suggested. I'll report back what the site come up with.

12. What is it clasping in its talons - arrows and?

It's not an olive branch, is it?

13. Wow, what a response!

Thank you all very very much for the information so far, especially regarding my long life and 2 kids :D

I shall post a link to this thread on fourthfightergroup with the hopes of some more intel.

Many thanks once again,

Chris.

Edit* D'oh, seems like I was beaten to it by in the cheap seats