Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Waldeck

War Hero
I post-process every photo I take in Photoshop 2021, my daily 'camera' is a Samsung Galaxy Note9 phone set to 16:9 at 4032x2268, it saves both RAW and JPEG images. I take 99.9% of my photos with it, using a £10 Ebay tripod if needed.

I have a cheapo (£200) SONY Cyber-shot DSC-HX60B for when I need more than 10x zoom.

Hastings Inshore Rescue Boat going out on Saturday afternoon.

View attachment 583248

It is amazing what phone camera's and pro post processing can do. I was at a family party about 10 years ago and was talking to a family friend. He was was showing me photo's he had in an up scale photo show in New York of fire hydrants. I said I didn't know he was a photographer, he said he wasn't he just took photos on his phone gave them to a friend who had some pro software. The photos were good and had been blown up to a good size.

Last edited:
It is amazing what phone camera's and pro post processing can do. I was at a family party about 10 years ago and was talking to a family friend. He was was showing me photo's he had in an up scale photo show in New York of fire hydrants. I said I didn't know he was a photographer, he said he wasn't he just took photos on his phone gave them to a friend who had some pro software. The photos were good and had been blown up to a good size.

Phone camera specs are pretty good now, my Samsung Note9 actually has 2x12MP rear cameras. One rear camera is 26mm Wide angle with 12MP 1/2.55" sensor (1.4 µm pixel size), F1.7 and OIS. The other is 2x Tele with 12MP 1/3.6" sensor (1.0 µm pixel size), F2.4 and OIS. Plus an 8MP / F1.7 1/3.6" sensor front camera.

I have little in the way of photographer skills, but I can always see the image or scene I want to capture, I let the phone auto-focus and I'll take a few shots. For moving shots the phone has a burst shot facility which nearly always captures a couple of good images.

My actual skill is with Photoshop which I have been using for over twenty years, almost daily.

I discard at least 95% of the photos I take upon viewing them on a monitor.

This was an in-focus, but wonky and overblown photo of a sunset, taken from Hastings Pier a few weeks ago, a couple of minutes processing in Photoshop and it came out quite well.

4 (5).jpg

Daz

LE
Bloody rich bastards using photoshop

Waldeck

War Hero
Good luck with your Photography, I for one like looking at your stuff. I must say I just can't get over how much they cram into a phone now days, when I remember enlarging Black and white photos and all the tricks we used.

Took a few pics in Liverpool Anglican today, Peace Doves art installation

Attachments

• 2021-06-21 003(1).jpg
    2021-06-21 003(1).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 2021-06-21 034(1).jpg
    2021-06-21 034(1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 2021-06-21 029(1).jpg
    2021-06-21 029(1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Took a few pics in Liverpool Anglican today, Peace Doves art installation

I was there last Tuesday, I was at the womens up the road for a 3 day safe guarding course... After 2 hours the instructor asked if he was keeping me awake.
Yup mate bored out my tree can I just do the tests and go... he agreed, thought he was calling my bluff.
Put in separate room with the test paper and another instructor. Boxed off 45 minute test paper in 20 and 20 odd minutes after handing it was skipping out the door into glorious sunshine. Took them longer to mark it than to do.
So went for a wander down to the cathedral gardens, popped inside but it was quite busy otherwise I would have gone up the tower.
Wandered into town instead had lunch by Georges Hall then walked through Kenny to Alder Hey.
20210615_112414.jpg

20210615_125838.jpg

Shiel Road was an experience...

Bloody rich bastards using photoshop
When my eldest son was still at University, he came home to fix my computer and downloaded Windows 7...I thought it wasn't due out for a year or so and he claimed that it was a beta version he and his tutors had been given to play with.

He also offered me Photoshop, I went ooo yes please, that'll save me £50 or so.
More like £2K Dad, this is what they use for the likes of Toy Story...
He got a lot of beer that weekend!

Waldeck

War Hero
When my eldest son was still at University, he came home to fix my computer and downloaded Windows 7...I thought it wasn't due out for a year or so and he claimed that it was a beta version he and his tutors had been given to play with.

He also offered me Photoshop, I went ooo yes please, that'll save me £50 or so.
More like £2K Dad, this is what they use for the likes of Toy Story...
He got a lot of beer that weekend!
My son did the same. I think I use about 5% of what it can do, if that. Just use it for clean up and sharpening. It's a bit like cameras today, they do every thing, video, stills etc. So you pay for what your friend wants to get what you want and miss out a bit on what you really want.

Daz

LE
Clyne Gardens, Swansea
_DSC90983.jpg
_DSC91013.jpg
_DSC91083.jpg
_DSC91123.jpg
_DSC91143.jpg
_DSC91243.jpg
_DSC91303.jpg
IMG_054453.jpg
IMG_054693.jpg
_DSC90933 (Custom).jpg
_DSC90943 (Custom).jpg
_DSC91073 (Custom).jpg
_DSC91153 (Custom).jpg
_DSC91183 (Custom).jpg
_DSC91193 (Custom).jpg
IMG_054423 (Custom).jpg
IMG_054543 (Custom).jpg
IMG_054643 (Custom).jpg

Waldeck

War Hero
Put these 2 photos on the Twitches thread when I first started on ARRSE. Thought I would put them on this thread. Was a bit of a setup as I used white mouse as bait.

BOB_4843a.jpg
BOB_4845a.jpg

Daz

LE
Whilst I admit to being incredibly wealthy and using the full Adobe suite of apps, there is a Photography Plan from Adobe which offers Photoshop, Lightroom and Lightroom Classic for under £10 a month including vat.

Adobe Creative Cloud Plans & Pricing
£10 a month including vat?? That's enough cash to bring out my inner Jock :)

Waldeck

War Hero
How about this? not a good year for him and it tends to get some people upset!!! though I don't know why.

20210622_135303.jpg

Latest Threads