Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrsers self taken photo collection.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

How old is she now?
Of course it is not she had aspirations of becoming a Vet and it was a phase in her life which we both enjoyed ... regret it would be ungentlemanly to reveal a lady's age ... and in the world of 0's and 1's no chance .

Kirkz

LE
Of course it is not she had aspirations of becoming a Vet and it was a phase in her life which we both enjoyed ... regret it would be ungentlemanly to reveal a lady's age ... and in the world of 0's and 1's no chance .
No chance of an introduction then?

Daz

LE
SECTION POST e42053 (Extant) - Pont ar Daf, Not really worth trying to find it
_DSC11393.jpg
_DSC11423.jpg
_DSC11453.jpg
_DSC36543.jpg
_DSC36573.jpg
_DSC36603.jpg
_DSC36633.jpg
_DSC36663.jpg
SECTION POST e42053 (Extant).jpg

There are some dating sites catering for the person with niche hobbies.
So I have been told.
This Milwaukee boy had nothing but praise for the web site "Plenty of Fish"

jeffrey-dahmer.jpg

Kirkz

LE
There are some dating sites catering for the person with niche hobbies.
So I have been told.
You know what they say about on line dating...
The odds are good but the goods are odd.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Treasure the moments ... In years to come I am sure she will have lovely memories of her childhood ... as does my daughter who at that age used to go out with me in all weathers .... oddly she had a penchant for collecting sheep skulls .
16115608856808985235146251034599.jpg

She's working her way up to skulls:)

And when things go wrong - Pont ar Daf river defences, for some odd reason the camera fogged up and developed a purple tinge to everything which I only noticed after I got home......bugger

Anyway, here's the salvaged photos, the rest were binned

View attachment 542602View attachment 542603View attachment 542604View attachment 542605View attachment 542606View attachment 542607View attachment 542608View attachment 542609View attachment 542610
Are the 'tank traps' solid concrete and just faced with stone?

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
Stone and rubble in this case, rather than solid concrete
@vvaannmmaann

As an aside, on the other side of the road, some of the blocks were cast in situ out of concrete

_DSC27423.jpg

Daz

LE
That’s what I wondered about with the ‘rubble’ ones. Quite labour intensive. But I suppose a few platoons with nothing else to do would get it done quite quickly.
That a supply shortage - it really is the arse end of nowhere, even more so back then. They have the same sort of blocks on the Talybont Reservoir, presumably because that part of Wales had a load of rocks to hand, but the remote areas lacked a ready supply of concrete

@vvaannmmaann

As an aside, on the other side of the road, some of the blocks were cast in situ out of concrete

View attachment 542734

Thread drift ...

There are some fine examples of such defences along the Northumberland Coast .... certainly impressive .... I have never really thought about their construction and wonder if they are always just a cast block or are they sometimes cast around say a partially buried RSJ ... but I wonder how effective they would have been ... surely the Germans would have been aware of their existence and developed counter measures like we did with Hobart's specials ... remember the ease with which the Germans took out the defences at Eben Emael ...

... back on thread