Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrsers self taken photo collection.

From last night's race up 'n' down Sugarloaf mountain:

There were only three females, one 'the bloke' (the vet), one elderly, and the attractive one with the most perfect arse was blurry.

So you've got a bloke.

IMG_5027 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

The organisers have asked me not to publicise the race on my social media - as I normally would - because they got massive amounts of grief after the socially distant - fully covid compliant - marathon they ran a couple of months back.

It was all outside, no registration (that was done online), with a staggered start (it was chip timed) and no prize giving. But because one lass travelled there from a lockdown area and another lass who didn't like her saw my pic of her at the marathon, she reported her to the police and UK Athletics.

And a big e-mail shit storm erupted.

From last night's race up 'n' down Sugarloaf mountain:

There were only three females, one 'the bloke' (the vet), one elderly, and the attractive one with the most perfect arse was blurry.

So you've got a bloke.

IMG_5027 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

The organisers have asked me not to publicise the race on my social media - as I normally would - because they got massive amounts of grief after the socially distant - fully covid compliant - marathon they ran a couple of months back.

It was all outside, no registration (that was done online), with a staggered start (it was chip timed) and no prize giving. But because one lass travelled there from a lockdown area and another lass who didn't like her saw my pic of her at the marathon, she reported her to the police and UK Athletics.

And a big e-mail shit storm erupted.

Sorry to hear that.

However, could you possibly post the attractive one's blurry arse picture separately so as not to cause problems for the organisers?

:)

Sorry to hear that.

However, could you possibly post the attractive one's blurry arse picture separately so as not to cause problems for the organisers?

:)
She must have been going pretty fast if her arse was blurry or were you not focused :)

She must have been going pretty fast if her arse was blurry or were you not focused :)

I pre-focussed on an area of path - zone focussed I think it's called - and she didn't run on the area I'd predicted they'd all run, putting her out of focus. And because it was dark and I wanted to keep the ISO down as much as possible, I used a wide aperture, meaning the zone of focus was fairly narrow.

Autofocussing would've been useless; it was almost pitch black.

I've a photo of her from an awards dinner night, but she looks even better from the back in some lycra.

IMG_8452.jpg

What editing program are you using?
I use a variety of programs to manipulate my photographs into some hopefully decent artistic styles. The one used on the attachment is Topaz Impression, but I also occasionally use Coral Painter Essentials 7 or Gertrudis Graphics GMX, one of my all time favorites developed by a guy in Argentina. Great fun, just have to make sure you own the copyright on the original picture or its copyright free.

Attachments

• Piper charcoal.jpg
    Piper charcoal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I pre-focussed on an area of path - zone focussed I think it's called - and she didn't run on the area I'd predicted they'd all run, putting her out of focus. And because it was dark and I wanted to keep the ISO down as much as possible, I used a wide aperture, meaning the zone of focus was fairly narrow.

Autofocussing would've been useless; it was almost pitch black.

I've a photo of her from an awards dinner night, but she looks even better from the back in some lycra.

View attachment 525933
I bought a couple of Yeong neu flash triggers a couple of years ago. But the flash controller that comes with is an excellent bit of kit. You don't have to have it control any slave units but it fires out a burst of infra red and the camera uses that to focus, it is very quick and with my body (Camera) seems to work well.

I bought a couple of Yeong neu flash triggers a couple of years ago. But the flash controller that comes with is an excellent bit of kit.

I use those ones too; same ones I suspect.

The IR that it fires out to assist with autofocus is great if your subject is static. But it wouldn't work for autofocusing on runners passing from right to left, particularly when you're tripod mounted for a long exposure (to capture some background ambient light).

Zone-focussing is the surest way to get a sharpish image in this situation.

Yongnuo flashes are great too; mine have been abused for a few years now and they're still going strong.

Tonight's night race. I think they're okay, but I must be out of practise; I put a work light out to put a bit more light on the trees and to ensure the runners could see the tripod I had my flash on.

And because I used a long exposure (1.3 seconds), the ambient light from the work light hit the trees/branches and registered on the sensor, making some of the runners look translucent.

IMG_5122

by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

I nailed the focus though (not always easy IME) and cleverly corralled the runners to run on the line I wanted them to run on by dragging part of a bush out on one side of the track, forcing them to stay on the left.

There's always a danger some gimp will crash into the bush I put out, but I think the risk is worth it.

I really should get some third-party photography insurance.

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Tonight's night race. I think they're okay, but I must be out of practise; I put a work light out to put a bit more light on the trees and to ensure the runners could see the tripod I had my flash on.

And because I used a long exposure (1.3 seconds), the ambient light from the work light hit the trees/branches and registered on the sensor, making some of the runners look translucent.

IMG_5122 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr
Pushing so hard the head dobber is buckling.

I also learnt that there's a locking pin on the bit that attaches my flash transmitters to my camera and that if I don't unscrew the tightener properly, it appears as if the transmitter is jammed in my hotshoe.

And getting rough and using brute strength isn't the best method to remove it.

All I have to do is fully unscrew the tightener.

Daz

LE

Latest Threads