Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Lake 32 South Cerney this morning just before 0800 and before my swim, air temp 2 degrees C water around 8, was a bit chilly but not bad for the first dip for a month, managed to swim for 35 mins.

Dennis48

War Hero
The Troll undera bridge in Seattle Washington State, apparently the locals built it to stop the all the druggies and homeless from sleeping there. He is clutching a half buried VW Beetle in his left hand. Don't ask me why.

Sacrilege............you think I did all that 140 paces a minute for nothing......it was real man, it was real They even made is look like total eejits....doubling past indeed....I could walk faster.

There was one episode of Sharpe where he said, "Rifles", then they did two or three paces at a jog, then two or three paces walking, then the jogging again and so on. Can't recall which episode it was, I think it was to make some English or Spanish officer look like a twat? Anyway, was that a genuine method of marching or something they'd made up for TV?

There was one episode of Sharpe where he said, "Rifles", then they did two or three paces at a jog, then two or three paces walking, then the jogging again and so on. Can't recall which episode it was, I think it was to make some English or Spanish officer look like a twat? Anyway, was that a genuine method of marching or something they'd made up for TV?
Known as Scouts Pace I think. Can't remember where I got that nugget from though. No idea if it was used by the Rifles either.

Carbon 6

War Hero
Known as Scouts Pace I think. Can't remember where I got that nugget from though. No idea if it was used by the Rifles either.
The Scouts Pace was alternately 100 paces walking, 100 paces jogging and it covered ground quite quickly without tiring the scout too much.

Last edited:
Sharpe's Battle
Wellington (Hugh Fraser) receives unwanted reinforcements from the King of Spain. His Most Catholic Majesty sends his personal bodyguard, the Real Compania Irlandesa (Royal Irish Company), composed of poorly trained men of Irish descent under the command of the inexperienced Lord Kiely (Jason Durr). Wellington doesn't trust them, not least because of reports in American newspapers that the British are committing atrocities against the Irish people. So he orders the unreliable men to garrison a fort near the French lines, where it will be easy for them to desert if they want to. He assigns Sharpe to train them and puts him under the command of former Wagonmaster-General Colonel Runciman (Ian McNeice).

Sharpe is trying to show off in front of Lord Kiely as he doesn't think much of the King of Spain's gift nor the officer that commands them. Don't know if that is an authentic marching pace for the Rifles, but the Toms do look smart doing it. :mrgreen: :salut:

Sharpe 95th Rifles.jpg

I would think it was made up, though back then, who knows. The regimental tradition for fast movement had a tactical basis in that the whole concept of the 'green jacket' was to remain relatively concealed, move on command of different bugle notes rather than voice, and travel light to reach your target 'swiftly' yet still be in good order to fight. Transport that into the modern era and you get a distinctive form of dress and drill, few words of command - movement on the bugle and a fast pace. Bugger all use in practical terms other than maintaining fitness, morale and a sense of being 'special'. In reality not really any different from any other light regiment and not a million miles away from the so called 'heavy infantry' or the Jock mobs. Much the same rotation through mechanized role, airportable (if they still do that sort of thing), light infantry - same rifle, same vehicles, same ranks (almost), different drill and different buttons! Proud to have been there, not too proud to admit there were others just as good and often even badder :cool:

Off thread .... if you want to read of the fortitude and hardiness of ordinary British Soldier of that time read " The Recollections of Riflemen Harris " ... I still have a copy .... a book I first read as a very young man ... also now available as an Audio Book . .. back on thread .

It's on Audible, saved to my wish list, and it'll be my next 'read'; thanks.

The book is also available, in a number of e-formats, as a free download from Project Gutenberg:

The Scouts Pace was alternately 100 paces walking, 100 paces jogging and it covered ground quite quickly without tiring the scout too much.
Continuing the thread drift when I was in the Scouts ... in a time when we wore khaki shorts ... proper 'ats ... Jack Knife secured at the waist ... and carried a Staff ... I can remember normal pace / running pace between alternate lamp posts as we went out for activities in the area around the Church Hall .

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20201203_103307.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Winter is finally here.
Nice photo, shame about the telegraph pole. Next time ask the Stag to move a bit to the right, to make the cropping easier! ;)
20201203_100008.jpg

Definitely winter!

The telegraph line runs down the Glen, occasionally swooping sides to ensure that it is always on the photogenic side!

Latest Threads