Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrsers self taken photo collection.

@bigeye

View attachment 525324

.... thanks for including as an example in your earlier Post a still from one of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite Hitchcock films . Surely It must have been composed using the techniques you mention .
North by Northwest was filmed with 'Vistavision', a 35mm Camera which shot using a larger area of the film stock by positioning the film in the gate horizontally rather than vertically. This provided a wider shot without using anamorphic lenses.

I would assume Hitchcock positioned the camera relatively low to place the characters just below the mid point of the shot to give a sense of of scale.

EDIT:
I found this photo which may well be the filming of the shot: The camera is a beast:

north.jpg

This might be of interest:

Last edited:
North by Northwest was filmed with 'Vistavision', a 35mm Camera which shot using a larger area of the film stock by positioning the film in the gate horizontally rather than vertically. This provided a wider shot without using anamorphic lenses.

I would assume Hitchcock positioned the camera relatively low to place the characters just below the mid point of the shot to give a sense of of scale.

EDIT:
I found this photo which may well be the filming of the shot: The camera is a beast:

View attachment 525351

This might be of interest:

Thanks for your comprehensive and informative research .... I recently Posted the whole " Crop Duster " scene on another thread .... now I can more appreciate some of the work in its creation .

I wondered what sunset looked like from a local view point.

It was okay.

This is from the Eagle's Nest, looking over the rivers Wye and Severn in the distance; you can see both the Severn Bridges.

IMG_4888-HDR by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

IMG_4963 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

IMG_4966-HDR by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

I've a night fell race to photograph tomorrow (Sugarloaf Mountain night fell race), a night race on Friday and two doggy photo shoots at the weekend where both dogs have attractive owners (so I'll try to get some of their owners too).

So busy, which is nice.

Daz

LE
I've got a couple of running club friends into cold water swimming; they head out to lakes in the Beacons, in winter and go for a dip.

I think they're mental.
You don't need to think, they are :)

Looking up towards Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, from the beach. A chine is a local word for a ravine or gorge, (also used in Dorset) and Shanklin Chine has a small stream and waterfalls. The Fisherman's Cottage Inn is right on the edge of the beach.

The Chine was used by Royal Marines training for the unsuccessful Dieppe Raid of 1942; it also contains some relics of the PLUTO Pipe Line Under The Ocean which took fuel across the Channel to support the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944.

Pic taken this afternoon.

2020 Shanklin Chine Dec 1 resized.jpg

Daz

LE
Old Big Nose - Brecon
_MG_00543.jpg
_MG_00593.jpg
_MG_00623.jpg
_MG_00653.jpg
_MG_00723.jpg

Daz

LE

I listened to all the Sharpe series of audiobooks, which led me to reading about the Peninsular war leading up to and including Waterloo.

It's a fascinating period of British military history, particularly Waterloo because many soldiers could read and write by then, so lots of personal stories exist in the form of letters and diaries; not just from the brass, but from the Toms who did the dirty work.

I love Brecon too; I always think it has a 1950s feel to it. Not that I was around in the 1950s.

I listened to all the Sharpe series of audiobooks, which led me to reading about the Peninsular war leading up to and including Waterloo.

It's a fascinating period of British military history, particularly Waterloo because many soldiers could read and write by then, so lots of personal stories exist in the form of letters and diaries; not just from the brass, but from the Toms who did the dirty work.

I love Brecon too; I always think it has a 1950s feel to it. Not that I was around in the 1950s.
Off thread .... if you want to read of the fortitude and hardiness of ordinary British Soldier of that time read " The Recollections of Riflemen Harris " ... I still have a copy .... a book I first read as a very young man ... also now available as an Audio Book . .. back on thread .

Off thread .... if you want to read of the fortitude and hardiness of ordinary British Soldier of that time read " The Recollections of Riflemen Harris " ... I still have a copy .... a book I first read as a very young man ... also now available as an Audio Book . .. back on thread .

It's on Audible, saved to my wish list, and it'll be my next 'read'; thanks.

Latest Threads