Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Daz

LE
You know, I don't think that's true. Cameras have improved in recent years in three areas:

1. Low light (ISO) performance.
2. The speed they can process the images, so you can take a gazillion photos a sec.
3. Wider dynamic range (more details caught in shadows and highlights).

But if you know what you're doing you can easily work around 1 and 3 as long as you're not being too niche (like wanting to photograph bands in a nightclub). Use a tripod and/or bracket your images and combine in HDR (easy to do).

And who needs a gazillion pics a second?

I've recently given my daughter my old Canon 450D; you can pick one up for £69 from MPB. And as long as you don't want video, it'll take brilliant photos. You'd probably need about £100 on top for a decent 2nd hand lens and there's some brilliant budget Canon lenses.

55-250mm Image stabilised STM (great for those garden birds and the best budget zoom there is).
10-18mm wide angle; extremely sharp.
24mm f/2.8 (my favourite crop sensor prime lens).

Go on, treat yourself!
Not to mention charity shop finds for Canon lens, old Canon EOS/EF Mount SLR's lens normally work fine on DSLR's* - But avoid Sigma's at all costs, they tend to be unsupported and you'll end up with a 01 Error code

*Just take note of the crop factor, Canon is normally 1.6 so a 30/80 SLR lens works out around 48/128 equivalent

You know, I don't think that's true. Cameras have improved in recent years in three areas:

1. Low light (ISO) performance.
2. The speed they can process the images, so you can take a gazillion photos a sec.
3. Wider dynamic range (more details caught in shadows and highlights).

But if you know what you're doing you can easily work around 1 and 3 as long as you're not being too niche (like wanting to photograph bands in a nightclub). Use a tripod and/or bracket your images and combine in HDR (easy to do).

And who needs a gazillion pics a second?

I've recently given my daughter my old Canon 450D; you can pick one up for £69 from MPB. And as long as you don't want video, it'll take brilliant photos. You'd probably need about £100 on top for a decent 2nd hand lens and there's some brilliant budget Canon lenses.

55-250mm Image stabilised STM (great for those garden birds and the best budget zoom there is).
10-18mm wide angle; extremely sharp.
24mm f/2.8 (my favourite crop sensor prime lens).

Go on, treat yourself!
Must admit I've never tried Canon. Went along with Nikon for years, then they got too heavy. Loved my 800 but it was a ton with decent glass. Then I tried Sony..........far too expensive on the glass. So I recently returned to one of my earlier passions - Panasonic. Bought a mint pre-loved G9 and matched it with an old leica 14-50mm that had lain in a drawer for about five years. Stunning results - as good as full frame - delighted with it.
Deer.jpg
Raby herd.jpg

Daz

LE
Sunset ‎12 ‎October ‎2020

Talking about old full frame lens - close in shots are with an ancient Canon 100-300mm lens on a 550D, the lens dates back to 1990, on a crop DSLR it chimes in around 256 - 480mm POV
_DSC2502 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2514 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2515 (Custom).jpg
_DSC9582 (Custom).jpg
_DSC9585 (Custom).jpg
_DSC9590 (Custom).jpg
_DSC9593 (Custom).jpg
_DSC9607 (Custom).jpg
_MG_3974 (Custom).jpg
_MG_3979 (Custom).jpg

Sunset ‎12 ‎October ‎2020

Talking about old full frame lens - close in shots are with an ancient Canon 100-300mm lens on a 550D, the lens dates back to 1990, on a crop DSLR it chimes in around 256 - 480mm POV
View attachment 523471View attachment 523472View attachment 523473View attachment 523474View attachment 523475View attachment 523476View attachment 523477View attachment 523478View attachment 523479View attachment 523480
There's a few images in those clouds

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
Since we're showing old lenses, here's two taken with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 FD; the latest version of which was made in 1979; so at least 40 years old:

Hurry up, I'm hungry! by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

2015-06-15_08-13_Adapted Lens Image Thread by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

Wor Lass hates me pointing a camera at her; she think I'm just taking the piss.
That lens helped film Aliens - well, the film mount version of it, I'm not sure if you should mention that to your other half :)

I recently upgraded all of my kit and went with Tamron.
Pleased with both 18/ 50 2.8 and 70/300 F4 both stabilized.
But i realised there was a gap in my armoury on the macro front, so shelled out £240.00 sheets on the Nickor 40mm 2.8 micro dx. The sharpness is off the scale.
Its worth shelling out the extra.

Oh, and this was taken with an ancient Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.8 macro. There's a few different versions of this floating around, they're still sought after, and some versions are better than others.

Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina version), 90mm f/2.8 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

I bought a Vivitar camera body and three lenses in the NAAFI at Verden in 1980. Lasted me for years until I changed to a Pentax. I reckon the Vivitar camera was much underrated.

RZer0

LE
If you only have a mobile with you, I find having these lens in my pocket can help you take some better pictures, if your phone is a bit limited.
Super Wide angle (top), fish eye (middle) and Macro (bottom). The fish eye screws on to the macro lens.
DSC_0736.JPG