Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Trying to catch a bee in flight on the lavender in the garden. After several failed attempts, I finally got one.

P1030773.jpg

A couple of others (just before take off)

P1030716.jpg
P1030727.jpg

Carisbrooke Castle is well worth a visit if you go to the Isle of Wight. Possibly a pre-Roman fortification on the hilltop site originally, then Roman, then everyone else added their two pennorth over the years.

The French tried to besiege it in 1377, and started a daily ritual of tramping their whole army around the fortifications. Then some rather unsporting defender ( who was, however, a bit of a whizz with a crossbow) shot the French leader, and in a fit of pique they stamped a collective foot and all went home.

In the reign of Elizabeth 1 a whole new batch of earthworks, bastions and dry moats were built, some of which can be seen in the pictures. King Charles 1 was imprisoned at Carisbrooke, and after an attempt to escape failed, his execution was just about inevitable.

The castle also has a building containing a deep well, which was - and still is - operated by donkeys using a treadmill type of wheel. The well featured in the novel "Moonfleet".

The Bowcombe Valley leads south-west from Carisbrooke and and heads towards "the Back of the Wight."

2020 Carisbrooke Castle 2 resized.jpg
2020 Carisbrooke Castle 3 Aug 3 resized.jpg
2020 Carisbrooke Castle 4 Aug 3.jpg
2020 Carisbrooke Castle 5 Bowcombe Aug 3 resized.jpg

daz

LE
Tinkinswood Burial Chamber
_1120874os.jpg

_1120876os.jpg

_1120877os.jpg

_1120880os.jpg

_1120885os.jpg

_1120886os.jpg

_1120890os.jpg

_1120892os.jpg

_1120895os.jpg

_1120896os.jpg

_1120897os.jpg

_1120904os.jpg

_1120905os.jpg

_DSC7544os.jpg

_DSC7546os.jpg

_DSC7547os.jpg

_DSC7548os.jpg

_DSC7549os.jpg

That's a hugely impressive piece of history - and one of which, I am ashamed to say. I hadn't heard of before seeing your post. Mr Google then provided quite a bit of info.

It rather reminded me of the Sieben Steinhäuser dolmen site tucked away on Hohne Ranges, and which I last saw some 39 years ago! As I recall, it was only accessible at certain specific times.

Straw Men.jpg

I always find such gifts left in respect of " Old Gods " intriguing ... one of my favourites walks to Lady's Well near Holystone results in this view and an almost enchanting atmosphere ...

LW2 WL.JPG

.... and this table which always contains a spiral of coins ....

LW1 WL.JPG

Kirkz

LE

daz

LE
View attachment 494496

I always find such gifts left in respect of " Old Gods " intriguing ... one of my favourites walks to Lady's Well near Holystone results in this view and an almost enchanting atmosphere ...

View attachment 494498

.... and this table which always contains a spiral of coins ....

View attachment 494499
I was wondering about the corn dollies as it's not really the harvest season........ but saying that, the hay's been bailed from the local field

I was wondering about the corn dollies as it's not really the harvest season........ but saying that, the hay's been bailed from the local field

Off thread .... most of the fields around where I live have been harvested , ploughed and had the disc harrow over them ... back on thread

Littlehaven2.JPG

I put several BW prints up in our canteen to brighten things up a little and recently added this colour scene from a beach on our patch. The print is slightly richer than the rendition here and it has been well received.

Yaverland, Isle of Wight today. First picture looks across Sandown Bay towards Shanklin, and the Dunnose headland.

Second picture looks towards Culver Cliff.

A pleasant August afternoon - although a tad breezy.

2020 Yaverland 1 AUg 4 resized.jpg
2020 Yaverland 3 Aug 4 resized.jpg

Peacock in Bird Bath yesterday.
peacock in  bath (20.jpg

Winnet

Old-Salt
Past the poppy field, with the pub in the distance. Halfway stop on a river walk . And just in time for last orders.

IMG_20200804_204359385.jpg
IMG_20200804_205336553.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_204359385.jpg
    IMG_20200804_204359385.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Wor Lass took me on a long weekend's route march in and around the Gower peninsular:

This is the return from the Worm's Head:

IMG_1670 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

Worm's Head in the distance taken from the bottom end of Rhosilli Beach:

IMG_1735 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

Some islands from the Mumbles:

IMG_1784 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

A shipwreck on Rhosilli beach:

IMG_1535 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

A close up of the shipwreck with the Worm's Head in the background:

IMG_1688 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

Latest Threads