daz

LE
_DSC5746os.jpg

_DSC5747os.jpg

_DSC5750os.jpg

_DSC5751os.jpg

_DSC5752os.jpg

_DSC5754os.jpg

Jesus H. Christ! That's a fucktonne of metal coming at you before they even get to unloading what's in the belly all over you!!!

:omfg:
They even had some fitted with a 75mm gun, some had 8 x :50 cal guns another 2 each side of the fuselage plus the two in the top turret firing forward. Total of 14 x :50 cal guns... :oops:

HE117

LE
Is that not a Chain Home Low station? I think the proper Chain Home stations had two big masts side by side..?

There was a CHL station on my Uncle's farm, and I think I remember that building with the mast on top. The TA RE had a camp there in the early 60s and blew it up!

daz

LE
Is that not a Chain Home Low station? I think the proper Chain Home stations had two big masts side by side..?

There was a CHL station on my Uncle's farm, and I think I remember that building with the mast on top. The TA RE had a camp there in the early 60s and blew it up!
It is a Chain Home Low Station

NSP

LE
They even had some fitted with a 75mm gun, some had 8 x :50 cal guns another 2 each side of the fuselage plus the two in the top turret firing forward. Total of 14 x :50 cal guns... :oops:
I seem to remember a Henschel tank-killer with a semi-auto' PaK40 or similar sitting under the nose going around the opposition around about the same war. HS129-B3 or something, rings a bell...?

daz

LE
I seem to remember a Henschel tank-killer with a semi-auto' PaK40 or similar sitting under the nose going around the opposition around about the same war. HS129-B3 or something, rings a bell...?
Hs 129 B-3 75mm, the B-2 was 37mm, the B -1 was a 30mm

US Memorial Day here. In spite of the restrictions in place because of the covid-19 pandemic, I managed to find a spot for some quiet reflection. (Dayton VA Cemetery)

Dayton VAMC 1.jpg
Dayton VAMC 2.jpg
Dayton VAMC 3.jpg
Dayton VAMC 4.jpg
Dayton VAMC 5.jpg
Dayton VAMC 6.jpg
Dayton VAMC 7.jpg

@daz

1590436368052.png

..... looks like the plinth for an engine / generator set .... see below a photograph of mine from a Radar Station on the outskirts Craster ...

DSCF1603 WL.JPG

Makes sense, both the two blockhouses had the plinths on the floor
Indeed .... both seem to have a hole in the back wall for the exhaust and a dished top to the plinth with an exit hole for oil leakages .

daz

LE
Arh well, bimble shots from the walk

_1100946os.jpg

Top picture, about 11 o'clock
_1100947os.jpg

Top picture, about 1 o'clock
_1100954os.jpg

_1100972os.jpg

_1100974os.jpg

_DSC5708os.jpg

_DSC5709os.jpg

M4 bottom left, note the amount of Bank Holiday traffic
_DSC5710os.jpg

_DSC5711os.jpg

_DSC5713os.jpg

_DSC5714os.jpg

_DSC5717os.jpg

_DSC5718os.jpg

_DSC5758os.jpg

_DSC5761os.jpg

_DSC5762os.jpg

_DSC5763os.jpg

NSP

LE
..... looks like the plinth for an engine / generator set .... see below a photograph of mine from a Radar Station on the outskirts Craster ...
Makes sense, both the two blockhouses had the plinths on the floor
Concur - a lot of the defensive installations I looked at on Jersey last year that had a similar plinth in them were signboarded as being a generator bunker or otherwise a pumphouse. Given that a Chain Home site on a height would be unlikely to need a pumphouse but would need a shedload of voltage it's reasonable to assume that the plinths are for generator sets rather than pumps.

Last edited:
The little CG chicks at about 18:30 tonight. There is still five of them. Mum & Dad are not too troubled if you stay about a metre away. Any closer and one gets noisy while the other hustles the brood into the water. They don’t like the dog being too near either.

i am really taken with this little family but tonight i saw another five strong fleet of probably one day / two day old chicks on the water but phone battery was flat. Next time...

iphone picture
DC0773DF-389E-4187-836F-85ED123A9BBB.jpeg

Concur - a lot of the defensive installations I looked at on Jersey last year that had a similar plinth in them were signboarded as being a generator bunker or otherwise a pumphouse. Given that a Chain Home site on a height would be unlikely to need a pumphouse but would need a shedload of voltage it's reasonable to assume that the plinths are for generator sets rather than pumps.
@daz

Below are the two buildings fro the Radar Station at Craster erected on high ground NNE of the village .... they are still in remarkable condition ... no graffiti last time I was there ... the one on our right contains the plinth...

DSCF1601 WL.JPG

.... interestingly only a couple of hundred metres away are the foundations of a POW Camp for Italian Prisoners who helped work the land on surrounding Farms

Last edited:

daz

LE
@daz

Below are the two buildings fro the Radar Station at Craster erected on high ground NNE of the village .... they are still in remarkable condition ... no graffiti last time I was there ... the one on our right contains the plinth...

View attachment 476626

.... interestingly only a couple of hundred metres away are the foundations of a POW Camp for Italian Prisoners who helped work the land on surrounding Farms
Thanks for that

Latest Threads