daz

LE
Signs - would have helped if I could of got the shutter speed up

_DSC5607os.jpg

_DSC5602os.jpg

_DSC5596os.jpg

_DSC5584os.jpg

_DSC5580os.jpg

Apologies for the quality of these pics. They were taken with my phone camera ( the use of which I am still to understand) and the glare of the declining sun made it difficult to frame the pictures. And explains the inclusion of a power line which might well have been avoided with a bit of care........

They may, however, be of interest to those interested in meteorology and show sundogs at about 1830 this evening as seen from Arreton, Isle of Wight. First pic show both sundogs, second shows the right hand one using the phone magnification.

The pictures were taken after sitting on the decking at the rear (northern) side of our house, when Mrs Wightsparker drew my attention to the right-hand sundog. Moving into the garden further north, I could see both sundogs and part of the halo.

I was very conscious of the need to be careful when looking directly at the sun with a lens; I still recall an embarrassing telephone call many years ago with the late Sir Patrick Moore after telephoning him at Selsey about some interesting solar activity ( yes, Directory Inquiries actually provided his number!)

He queried my parentage in no uncertain terms regarding the wisdom of such activity. Thus, the pictures taken today were taken using very squinty eyes looking at the phone screen rather than through the viewfinder......

20200521_183222.jpg
2020 Sundog 2 May 21.jpg

Apologies for the quality of these pics. They were taken with my phone camera ( the use of which I am still to understand) and the glare of the declining sun made it difficult to frame the pictures. And explains the inclusion of a power line which might well have been avoided with a bit of care........

They may, however, be of interest to those interested in meteorology and show sundogs at about 1830 this evening as seen from Arreton, Isle of Wight. First pic show both sundogs, second shows the right hand one using the phone magnification.

The pictures were taken after sitting on the decking at the rear (northern) side of our house, when Mrs Wightsparker drew my attention to the right-hand sundog. Moving into the garden further north, I could see both sundogs and part of the halo.

I was very conscious of the need to be careful when looking directly at the sun with a lens; I still recall an embarrassing telephone call many years ago with the late Sir Patrick Moore after telephoning him at Selsey about some interesting solar activity ( yes, Directory Inquiries actually provided his number!)

He queried my parentage in no uncertain terms regarding the wisdom of such activity. Thus, the pictures taken today were taken using very squinty eyes looking at the phone screen rather than through the viewfinder......

View attachment 475481View attachment 475483
I had to look that up. Interesting. Some explanation and historical anecdotes here: Sun dog - Wikipedia

daz

LE

daz

LE
Today, we've mainly been doing horses :)

_1100906os.jpg

daz

LE

daz

LE
Brecon Beacons Horses

_1100806os.jpg

_1100811os.jpg

_1100827os.jpg

_1100830os.jpg

_1100841os.jpg

_1100844os.jpg

_1100851os.jpg

_1100862os.jpg

_1100876os.jpg

_1100879os.jpg

_1100888os.jpg

_1100894os.jpg

_1100906os.jpg

_1100907os.jpg

The Canada Geese chicks have grown somewhat since I last saw /posted them... only five of the original six now but that’s probably not too shabby. Mum & Dad are very attentive and protective.

iphone image

71E40CDA-705E-4E1F-9947-C1868A696A86.jpeg

Latest Threads