Arrsers self taken photo collection.

daz

LE
Morning @daz,
If you are local. Does he still get traffic cones put on his head? If memory serves me right there used to be a disco/nightclub in the building at the far end facing, and or in the , left hand corner just out of shot. Another one on the side ally by 'Woworths'. Their names escape me but they're probably all gone now anyway.

E2a: 1st picture with bogs in background.
Not a local, it's a stopping off point while taking one of my daughters to and from Uni in Chester

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What we need is more windmills .........................................just not when viewed from the garden

Pissing about with a Tamron SP 2X Tele-Converter Model 01F, made sometime between 1979 & 1999 coupled with a equally elderly Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm f/3.8-4 (103A) last produced in 1986 , while on lock down View attachment 458353

View attachment 458354

View attachment 458355

View attachment 458356
Those things make the most amazing noises when you stand near them
I find them fascinating, almost as if they have life

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Just taken these.

Went shopping yesterday ,all OK.

Today Mrs O_B said we need xyz , WTF did you not tell me yesterday.

Anyway went out to buy the essential eggs and honey?

Now this is the Via Apia, Roman road going from Rome to Brindisi.

All the modern Italians did , including Mussolini was to basically put tar Mac on top. As you can see it , for the most part is streight as a die.

Also each pine tree marks the spot where a Christian was crucifed in the good old days.

View attachment 458598

Yesterday driving the same route , all OK.

Today saw this

View attachment 458602

Now all the bars and restaurants are are closed , so no idea how this idiot managed to crash the vehicle on a straight road with no traffic. Also there were no skid marks or signs of the vehicle rolling over?

Just down the road is the Mussolini bridge over the Mussolini canal.

View attachment 458612

You can see a Mussolini house in the background, these are still designated as Historical sites and are protected. Also called ONC houses ( Opera Nazionale Combattenti - Wikipedia) as Mussolini was very good at lying to the population . Just like modern politicians. So he got all the old , bold survivors of WW1 onto his side and into his party . He promised them land and work .

During WW2 1944 the northern side of the canal I am standing on was held after the Anzio landings by the American /Canadian First Special Service Force. The southern side was held by Ze Germans and also some Italian Paratroopers. After the Italians changed sides some of the hard core Italians decided to continue the fight.

Post war most of the Facist icons were destroyed.

Here you can see where the Facist carving were chiseled away on the bridge.

View attachment 458614

View attachment 458615

BTW the crucifixtion fact is a lie, we just tell all our visitors that and as they have seen Sparticus they believe it . In reality it’s to allow the conquering armies march in the shade.
Those trees are native to Africa, I think the Romans brought the first ones over, they also protect the tarmac, but the seed things are massive compared to UK ones

NSP

LE
What we need is more windmills
No we don't! Unless they're out of sight in the middle of the sea.

In which case, get this virus fucked off sharpish so I can go back to doing my bit to build more OWFs!!!

daz

LE
No we don't! Unless they're out of sight in the middle of the sea.

In which case, get this virus fucked off sharpish so I can go back to doing my bit to build more OWFs!!!
I did mention them being out of (my) sight :)
What we need is more windmills .........................................just not when viewed from the garden

DAS

War Hero
_DAS0005.jpg

A clock my wife inherited from her Father, inscribed "To Jim from all at the Kilkenny depot 1934"

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
You can't leave that without some detail. I think it looks great.
I was hoping some one would spot the Brickwork, its a rather unusual bond for the area known as an English bond
but the Bricks are either French or Flemish
I took the image outside of a rather excellent cafe and museum just across the road from the Lochnagar crater

315.JPG
319.JPG
320.JPG
321.JPG
323.JPG
327.JPG

My daughter is obviously getting on my 7 year old granddaughter nerves?
(Not self taken, we're self isolating, and haven't seen them for 3 weeks)
IMG-20200330-WA0000.jpg

That's tocking, as she's been taught phonetic spelling. Honestly.

I was hoping some one would spot the Brickwork, its a rather unusual bond for the area known as an English bond
but the Bricks are either French or Flemish
I took the image outside of a rather excellent cafe and museum just across the road from the Lochnagar crater

View attachment 461117View attachment 461118View attachment 461119View attachment 461120View attachment 461121View attachment 461122
I learn something new every day. I was taught that English bond is 5 courses of stretchers (full length bricks) then a course of headers (bricks turned with end facing out), then 5 of stretchers, 1 header, etc, etc.

Latest Threads