Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Some of the lack of sharpness is me being blind as a bat and guessing when its in focus,
Can you use live-view x 10 magnification?

If you don't use it already, it's probably the best way to focus a manual lens on a DSLR.

I also use the same technique for focusing at night. I'll open the lens wide as it'll go, bump up the iso as high as it'll go and then go to live view and manually focus the lens with it on x 10 magnification. Then switch live view off and readjust my settings to what I want them to be.

I'm long sighted (due to age) so can't see things clearly close up, but can - without glasses - when I use this method.

best you'll get is a bird from the duck pond :)
Maybe try getting close to a branch, or a flower, so it fills the frame (wide open/no converter), ensuring there's some distance behind the flower/branch.

That way I can see the sharpness of the flower/branch and the distance behind the flower/branch will show the bokeh (the quality of the out of focus areas).

Kirkz

LE
Went down by the river to what the locals call Fossil Beach with Wor Little Un, lit a fire, roasted marshmallows, made a coffee and did some night photography.

Not a soul to be seen.

I'm quite enjoying the quiet.

IMG_4329 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr
I wonder why?
It's supposed to be a lockdown, you're not supposed to going out doing shit like toasting marshmallows.
Which bit of stay at home did you not get?

There seems to be no magnification on the live view function on the Nikon, unlike the Panasonic bridge camera where there is...... even the focus aiming point on the Nikon is done by using the jog button rather than tap, tapping the screen :)

I was toying with the idea of getting a replacement eyecup with one that has a slight magnification built in and see if that helps
I've been using a Zacuto Z-finder for a few years for video work. It has 2.5 magnification. Any use?

daz

LE
I've been using a Zacuto Z-finder for a few years for video work. It has 2.5 magnification. Any use?

That looks interesting, might need a bigger bag :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nope, I'm not married but the youngest is still living at mine and I have plenty of friends.
Which is more than could be said by some on here!

There seems to be no magnification on the live view function on the Nikon, unlike the Panasonic bridge camera where there is...... even the focus aiming point on the Nikon is done by using the jog button rather than tap, tapping the screen :)

I was toying with the idea of getting a replacement eyecup with one that has a slight magnification built in and see if that helps
M43 cameras are ideal if you're into using old glass; stuff like the little Olympus E-PL3; the old ones are great. You probably could pick one on MPB for under £50 because they've been around for a few years (just checked £54):

Their rear button layout makes them brilliant for live view x 10 magnification focus.

daz

LE
M43 cameras are ideal if you're into using old glass; stuff like the little Olympus E-PL3; the old ones are great. You probably could pick one on MPB for under £50 because they've been around for a few years (just checked £54):

Their rear button layout makes them brilliant for live view x 10 magnification focus.
I've been looking at something along those lines, however, trying to convince SHMBO that I need another camera .... :) Maybe after the new patio is laid :)

This morning walk down the lane
_DSC3394os (Custom).jpg

_DSC3397os1 (Custom).jpg

_DSC3398os (Custom).jpg

_DSC3403os (Custom).jpg

Cropped out from the one above
_DSC3403os1 (Custom).jpg

_DSC3404os (Custom).jpg

_DSC3409os1 (Custom).jpg

I've been looking at something along those lines, however, trying to convince SHMBO that I need another camera .... :) Maybe after the new patio is laid :)

This morning walk down the lane

Cropped out from the one above

View attachment 460841
I reckon that would be a corking portrait lens. Look at the out of focus areas; nice and soft with no weird stuff going on.

In focus areas look sharp.

daz

LE
I reckon that would be a corking portrait lens. Look at the out of focus areas; nice and soft with no weird stuff going on.

In focus areas look sharp.
Not bad for £6.00 :)

Latest Threads